Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Building an arcade cabinet

Started by Yuki, May 15, 2017, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

This is a little project I'm building with my brother, some sort of arcade thing which should be pretty fun to do. On the hardware side, I'm using one of my VGA 1440x900 LCD panels, this one has DVI-I with a simple $5 HDMI converter attached, I have a bunch of arcade sticks, my brother already built this one on the bottom, from spare wood and a kit bought on Amazon, there a Raspberry Pi 3 I'm going to install RetroPie, I have an USB sound card, a mini bluetooth keyboard from some $10 iPhone case, the whole thing should work, only thing left is to probably build a frame out of wood and a bunch of decals would be welcome, that would be awesome.

Now I'm going to install and configure the OS, any ideas are welcome and I'll keep you updated ^_^
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

aetios

cool. like, really cool. gonna be following this
ceci n'est pas une signature

kotu

8)

so will we be allowed to come round to your house and try it??
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

uuuh I love this project, xan't wait for updates ^.^

will u try to put all the hardware in a hibe wooden thingy like the real arcade machines? :)
glad ur doing a project together with ur bro, didnt have the impression u were such a great team until now ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

Quote from: p2 on May 15, 2017, 09:14:00 PM
will u try to put all the hardware in a hibe wooden thingy like the real arcade machines? :)
glad ur doing a project together with ur bro, didnt have the impression u were such a great team until now ^^
If my brother gets around to make one, yes. Been a while I wanted to do things with him. That or a webcomic, that would be nice too.

Anyway, the nice thing is that the whole thing is pretty inexpensive, the big thing in the budget is the Raspberry Pi and even then it's not really expensive for a computer. The rest are either scraps, things I already have or things that are less than $5 at the hobby shop /hardware store down the street.

Also trying to fit the RetroPie-provided disk image on a SD card that is slightly smaller. it's going to be a pain. Not that much, actually, so far.

EDIT: It's a GODDAMN PAIN IN THE you know where

EDIT2: The SD card is suddenly uncooperative for some reason? Well then. Project on hold until I find another that works.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

That seems like an awesome project. I always wanted to build an arcade cabinet one day but I would probably want it to look very nice before I even get to the hardware part lol. I would probably also mostly use NES/SNES arcade gamepads and an actual console+TV too. I can't wait to see how yours will turn out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Quote from: Juju on May 15, 2017, 11:03:43 PM
EDIT2: The SD card is suddenly uncooperative for some reason? Well then. Project on hold until I find another that works.
I tried it again and it worked. The SD reader must probably be dead. Huh. Also I realized I messed up during the copy and it put all the boot files in a folder instead of in the root. No wonder it didn't worked on the Pi. Oh well, it works now, gotta configure it and load it up with games.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

p2

yay that's great.
btw will u only use premade games or also add a selfmade walrii game?
This could be the first arcade machine coming with walrii games tho O.O
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Yuki

Planning to add quite a bunch of emulators, but also a few of the games featured in our CW arcade, provided they work with a joystick.

And yet another roadblock, the thing ain't connecting to Internet via WiFi. Could it be the power supply?
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol if there's a NES emulator then you should add @JWinslow23 game when it's finished (I haven't checked in a while so maybe it already is?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

For sure.

EDIT:
Quote from: Juju on May 17, 2017, 07:40:07 PM
And yet another roadblock, the thing ain't connecting to Internet via WiFi. Could it be the power supply?
Screw that, I ran an Ethernet cable.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

p2

Can you maybe give us photos of the current progress? :)

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 17, 2017, 07:52:49 PM
Lol if there's a NES emulator then you should add @JWinslow23 game when it's finished (I haven't checked in a while so maybe it already is?)
On indefinite halt. Game logic is easy enough, but apparently, having everything running with proper timing and nothing misdrawn is challenging.

Yuki

Update! Got everything working now.

Cave Story, that's a classic.

My brother playing some Battletoads (SNES) or something.

The thing mounts a SMB share full of roms and games on startup, should add some more stuff and emulators. So I'm pretty much calling it done on the software side other than getting some games to work, next is getting the hardware side pretty.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on May 18, 2017, 04:01:15 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 17, 2017, 07:52:49 PM
On indefinite halt. Game logic is easy enough, but apparently, having everything running with proper timing and nothing misdrawn is challenging.
Sorry to hear D:
Quote from: Juju on May 18, 2017, 07:50:19 PM
Update! Got everything working now.

Cave Story, that's a classic.

My brother playing some Battletoads (SNES) or something.

The thing mounts a SMB share full of roms and games on startup, should add some more stuff and emulators. So I'm pretty much calling it done on the software side other than getting some games to work, next is getting the hardware side pretty.
Neither of those are Battletoads but this still looks nice