Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

RPN-Calculator

Started by DarkestEx, February 03, 2017, 10:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello everyone!

For many weeks I have been working on a custom and completely hand-built calculator.

So let's start with some eye-candy first ;D

More Images ;)

[close]

The Software is still in the works and nowhere near done.
For the CPU I am using an STM ARM CPU which is overclocked to 96 MHz. It also has USB, an SD Card, a Serial / IO port, a 2200mAh LiPo, a Status LED, a Nokia 5110 LCD and a 3x4 keypad.

I hope you like it :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Snektron

Looks pretty impressive :o nice job
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

This looks absolutely fantastic and actually professional (old school too lol). Nicely done and I'm glad it's coming to frution. How far from being done is the software? What's functional in it so far?

Does the calculator produce some heat by the way? You could maybe add some holes on the back of the case near the sides for ventilation (although I'm unsure if it would require adding protection against dust).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: Snektron on February 03, 2017, 10:48:23 PM
Looks pretty impressive :o nice job
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2017, 04:52:03 PM
This looks absolutely fantastic and actually professional (old school too lol). Nicely done and I'm glad it's coming to frution. How far from being done is the software? What's functional in it so far?
Thanks a lot ;D
The Software is in a very early stage. I might actually start from scratch again, so that the Software might be used in a future community calculator. If so, I would make it open source from the very beginning on. The Software would still be monochrome Screen only, however, I don't see a huge need for a color screen to be honest.
So far there is a simple four function calc that works well, but has no interesting features except for the Keyboard entry which is working really well and seems to be fairily intuitive.
I forgot to mention that I will be porting Claw to it when that one is ready :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2017, 04:52:03 PM
Does the calculator produce some heat by the way? You could maybe add some holes on the back of the case near the sides for ventilation (although I'm unsure if it would require adding protection against dust).
Actually I don't think it produces any heat really. The only suspect is the screen which is exposed to the outside anyways and can cool off easily and the battery charger, which can cool off after the charge. The CPU is not getting warm.
Thanks for suggesting, anyways. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

garvalf

that's very cool and very professional looking! Good luck with the software.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

DarkestEx

Quote from: garvalf on February 13, 2017, 08:28:08 AM
that's very cool and very professional looking! Good luck with the software.
Thanks! I am actually progressing with said software quite well :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see it's progressing. What does still need to be done?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

I have added most functions that CW-members suggested to me.
Currently, all basic scientific calculator functionality is present:
List of implemented (maths) commands
  SOP_ADD,
  SOP_SUB,
  SOP_MUL,
  SOP_DIV,
  SOP_MOD,
  SOP_INC,
  SOP_DEC,
  SOP_POW,
  SOP_EE,
  SOP_SQ,
  SOP_SQRT,
  SOP_LOG10,
  SOP_LN,
  SOP_LOG,
  SOP_FAC,
  SOP_ABS,
  SOP_NEG,
  SOP_SGN,
  SOP_INV,
  SOP_SIN,
  SOP_COS,
  SOP_TAN,
  SOP_ASIN,
  SOP_ACOS,
  SOP_ATAN,
  SOP_SINH,
  SOP_COSH,
  SOP_TANH,
  SOP_ASINH,
  SOP_ACOSH,
  SOP_ATANH,
  SOP_PI,
  SOP_E,
  SOP_TAU,
  SOP_DUP,
  SOP_CPY,
  SOP_POP,
  SOP_SWP,
  SOP_RAND,
  SOP_ROUND,
  SOP_IROUND,
  SOP_FLOOR,
  SOP_CEIL,
  SOP_FPART,
  SOP_MIN,
  SOP_MAX,
  SOP_DEG,
  SOP_RAD,
  SOP_FLAGS
[close]

I will make a Video soon :)
Also, I am working on a snake game that will run on said calculator.

WholeWheatBagels

How are symbols and stuff entered if there is only the simple numpad?
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

Snektron

Cool! Will you also add graphing functionality?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: Snektron on February 27, 2017, 09:52:13 PM
Cool! Will you also add graphing functionality?
I am indeed planning to add graphing functionality. But none of the complex algorithms though.

Quote from: WholeWheatBagels on February 27, 2017, 06:08:49 PM
How are symbols and stuff entered if there is only the simple numpad?
That's actually one of my favorite parts. All the menus are very conveniantly organized. Have a look at the video below :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD4iRr9QoC8

Yuki

That's a pretty cool thing here :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

OMG... if the screen was black with slightly larger res+terminal green fonts, this would totally look like one of those devices from early 80's sci-fi movies. I like it so far as it is, though, and I like the backlit screen. Good job so far :)

DarkestEx

During march the software has improved a lot. I am also going to make it portable to other platforms eventually.

DarkestEx

The RPN-Calculator is making progress. I am currently working on a port of GNUMP (which allows huge numbers and accurate fractions) and in the meantime I have improved time keeping and started working on the settings menu.
I can't wait to release a new video or at least some pictures soon.
Eventually, if there is interest, I will also write a building tutorial if anyone would like to build one of these on their own ;)

The primary new software features are a better operating system kernel and pixel graphics :)