Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What headphones/earphones do you own?

Started by Araidia, December 16, 2015, 04:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

My family accidentally broke my last ones but they gladly replaced them by some really awesome Sony ones.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

• Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Hayleia

On my desktop right now I have
- Bose QC15
- Marshall Monitor
- BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro

My favorite ones when it comes to sound quality are the AKG K420. But as you can see from Googling it, they are not really durable, and the earmoss (or whatever you call it) on mine is gone so I can't use them comfortably anymore :(

Then, when it comes to isolation, obviously the Bose QC 15 wins. The problem being that it wastes batteries, so I only use it when I need isolation. Plus the fact it does have a really good sound quality but I don't really like how equalized it is (it doesn't have as much bass as the AKG K420 (when I say "less bass", it doesn't mean my goal is to have Beats... I just like to hear the bass as much as the other things, not more (Beats) not less (QC15))).

I don't like the BeyerDynamic one because for real, it isolates so badly I can even hear my computer's fan when it's silent while listening to music with these headphones. But yeah, the sound quality is good too, so if you have a really really silent PC, you can use that. I only have them now because my father gave them to me after my sister gave him a Parrot Zik 2.0.

Then the Marshall is a good compromise. Not the best quality nor the best isolation but allows listening to music to a sufficient quality without hearing your fan and without wasting batteries.

CVSoft

I've been using Philips SHE3595BK earbuds for the past six years; audio quality is good, they're small, and they're inexpensive to replace. My laptop uses a 4-pin TRRS jack for microphone input and headphone output, so I can use these without needing an adapter for the microphone.
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Dudeman313

I only own my fancy FireBuds that are total rip-offs of EarPods, but made by Amazon for the the Amazon Fire Phone.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 06, 2016, 04:18:54 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 06, 2016, 04:13:23 AM
Which model did you get?
Sony MDR-ZX660AP in Orange color:

Those reminds me of my current ones, but they're black and I assume yours have better sound quality.

Quote from: CVSoft on March 06, 2016, 12:02:45 PM
I've been using Philips SHE3595BK earbuds for the past six years; audio quality is good, they're small, and they're inexpensive to replace. My laptop uses a 4-pin TRRS jack for microphone input and headphone output, so I can use these without needing an adapter for the microphone.
For some reasons, the only earbuds I ever liked were the iPod Touch ones I got a few years ago. They're the only earbuds I ever got that don't fall off my ears.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 13, 2016, 06:31:43 AM
For some reasons, the only earbuds I ever liked were the iPod Touch ones I got a few years ago. They're the only earbuds I ever got that don't fall off my ears.
You mean, like these?

• Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

I just bought some QC 25 today lol.

Well, surprisingly, it has exactly the same sound quality as the Bose QC 15 I already owned. I say "surprisingly" because last time I went from headphones to an upgraded version it was from the AKG K420 to the AKG K430, and the AKG K430 has a terrible sound, while the K420, as I said on my previous post, had the best sound I ever tested in my opinion. But I guess here we're talking about Bose so they try to keep up with their standards.
As a consequence, I have the same complaints about it lacking bass but the rest is good.

Now, why did I buy it if it's the same as on I already owned ? :P
Well, that one allows me to have sound even with noise-cancelling off, so I can listen to music in noisy environments the same way as with the QC 15, but I can also use it in quiet environments without wasting batteries and without swapping with the Marshall :)

Dream of Omnimaga

@Dudeman313 yeah they look similar but they are entirely white without that weird black thing at the top. The sound is bad since they're earbuds but at least it's loud enough.

Also what does noise cancelling do? Do you mean if there is noise in the music such as cassette/vinyl scratching or a badly tuned radio station static, that noise will be reduced? Or do you mean the headphones cut off the sounds surrounding you and if you open some sort of little trap on each headphone sides it lets those sounds in? That would be the first time I hear about headphones that lets you control if you can hear outside sounds or not. O.O

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 27, 2016, 02:17:28 PM
Also what does noise cancelling do? Do you mean if there is noise in the music such as cassette/vinyl scratching or a badly tuned radio station static, that noise will be reduced? Or do you mean the headphones cut off the sounds surrounding you and if you open some sort of little trap on each headphone sides it lets those sounds in? That would be the first time I hear about headphones that lets you control if you can hear outside sounds or not. O.O
It's about surrounding noise. If you play videogames on a stupid laptop like mine for example, you can hear the noise coming from the fan a lot less when using noise-cancelling headphones. Same if you're travelling by train or plane, you can enjoy your music better if you hear your music more than the vehicule you're in :P
And it's not a little trap or something, it's a button that enables noise cancelling or not, which uses batteries.

Now yeah, one can notice that Bose spent more time on the cancelled noise mode. The sound quality on the QC 25 is on-par with the QC 15 when enabling noise cancelling but the sound is a but muffled when noise cancelling is off. Well, still better than on the QC 15 that didn't give any sound without enabling noise cancelling, but still, it would have obviously been better to have the same quality on both modes.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, but how does headphones manage to cancel surrounding noises, then stop cancelling them? If it's not a trap, then what kind of technology can achieve this? Magic? :P

Travis

In basic terms, they have microphones on the outside that pick up surrounding sound. Then they take that sound, invert the sound waves (turn them upside down) and play them out the headphones along with the music or whatever you're playing. The inverted waves are opposite to the ambient ones reaching your ears at the same time, so they cancel out and get quieter.

It's kind of like when you push on a box lying on the ground from opposite sides at the same time with the same amount of force. It doesn't go anywhere because the forces match and cancel each other out. The noise-canceling headphones try to cancel the surrounding sounds by opposing the sound waves in the opposite direction and at the same volume.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Jokeriske

I have a razer kraken 7.1 headphones, which costs around €100 (its expensive) but it is really worth it! , its with surround sound , which is awesome to game with , 10/10 would buy again if broken , oh yeah i got them in 2013 or 2014

Dream of Omnimaga

@Travis ooh right, the inverted wave trick. Pretty nifty.

That would be the type of headphones I would buy if they didn't cost more than the computer I want to save for.