Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What instruments do you play/have you played?

Started by Vijfhoek, December 06, 2014, 11:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vijfhoek

This is something I've actually been curious about: How many people here play instruments, and if they do, which?

I myself have been playing guitar for a year or three, after playing the piano for like 7 years off and on from when I was a kid.

I'd love to pick up piano playing again, but I don't like having to play downstairs, maybe annoying the neighbours and having to annoy the rest of the family with my playing, and good keyboards are so incredibly expensive (so are guitars, btw, but I lucked out and managed to get a Jackson Kelly KE-3 (about €700 new) for €180 second-hand :D).

And how about you?

Yuki

Same here, I took piano courses for quite a few years (I started at 10), played recorder, drums and saxophone at school and then started playing some guitar when I found one in the attic. I then bought an electric guitar.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I know that juju sometimes play guitar and Matref a lot, but I was curious about others. I myself don't play any instrument except some keyboard, but one day I would like to attempt guitar.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Keoni29

If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

novenary

Lol Keoni.

* Streetwalrus plays the keyboard and mouse :trollface:

More seriously though, I'd love to learn guitar, been looking at a Fender Standard Telecaster in left-handed configuration for a while. Hopefully I can get it for christmas + my birthday. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Is it some sort of pedal but in software form? IIRC juju told me that such software exists but I don't know if it produces realistic distorted guitar sounds
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

List incoming!

Piano, Percussion (Snare Drum, Timpani, Marimba, Xylo, Vibes, Bells, Aux. Percussion), and Euphonium (started this school year).
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 07, 2014, 03:17:09 PM
Is it some sort of pedal but in software form? IIRC juju told me that such software exists but I don't know if it produces realistic distorted guitar sounds
I think it's an actual guitar. But yeah from the few software I tried, GarageBand is kind of good at this, followed by Guitarix.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok, is it very expensive?

Also juju the issue about Garageband is that it's Mac-only x.x

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 07, 2014, 06:39:55 PM
Ah ok, is it very expensive?

Also juju the issue about Garageband is that it's Mac-only x.x
Exactly. Although people into music production often have a Mac. But what's nice with open source software is that you can build your own pedal yourself.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

novenary

Fender guitars are actually pretty inexpensive if you take the made in mexico models, and their quality improved a lot lately as far as I understand. Of course the ones that are made in japan or even the US are still better but to begin with the mexican ones are really good guitars. And hey, it's a retro guitar ! :D (actually it's the ancestor of the Stratocaster)

Dream of Omnimaga

Aaah ok, are they electric though? I wouldn't mind starting on a classic or accoustic guitar, but I am not rich so if I plan to do rock it would be best to get something that will serve me for much longer.

Vijfhoek

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on December 07, 2014, 04:00:56 PM
List incoming!

Piano, Percussion (Snare Drum, Timpani, Marimba, Xylo, Vibes, Bells, Aux. Percussion), and Euphonium (started this school year).

Everytime I hear the word marimba I think about the iPhone ringtone. I think I've been brainwashed...

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 08, 2014, 06:14:22 AM
Aaah ok, are they electric though? I wouldn't mind starting on a classic or accoustic guitar, but I am not rich so if I plan to do rock it would be best to get something that will serve me for much longer.

Telecasters are electric.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Vijfhoek on December 08, 2014, 07:24:38 AM
Quote from: pimathbrainiac on December 07, 2014, 04:00:56 PM
List incoming!

Everytime I hear the word marimba I think about the iPhone ringtone. I think I've been brainwashed...

And are extremely rich :P

And thanks for the info. :)