Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah I don't want them to wrap automatically. My goal was to just have a narrow strip and not increase vertical scrolling too much, even if it means small screenshots. What I could do eventually when we're online together is make multiple banners with fewer screenshots but a different one would appear on every page load.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Check <picture> and <source> HTML tags. They let you show an image according to media queries, like the width of the page.

http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/responsive/picture-element/
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, I changed the banner to the 2-lines one anyway now. Also, I use small screenshots with reduced color depth because I wanted to keep the banner small. It seems to work fine on my side at least (mobile and desktop)

In the future, I guess we could alter the site banner to have screenshots in the background (in grayscale of course).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Small sub-forum updates:

-I added a new download section that redirects straight to the topic for SDL ports for the TI-Nspire (which contains Wolfeinstein 3D, Super Methane Brothers, Another World and various emulators in the first post), because @gameblabla doesn't want to split each release into separate topics. The topic is also listed in both the games and utilities download sections, but I felt some of those SDL/n2Dlib ports needed more visibility. :P

EDIT: Custom profile field additions:

-Below Calculator owned you can now list non-calculator platforms that you own, from mobile devices to vintage computers and game consoles.

Dream of Omnimaga

Clone Topic 0.41 has been successfully installed, replacing v0.40. Unfortunately, the issues we had with 0.40 in sub-forums that have more than 2 pages of topics is still present with it, so we are waiting to see what could be the cause with the author. (I hope it isn't a conflict with another mod we use)

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, the first post of this topic was updated with a 3rd section, which is about the future site upgrade. The two other sections might be invalidated by the upgrade, such as some feature additions or bug fixes listed there. But you should get an idea of what we would like to add.

Now that Summer is arriving it might be the occasion to process some of the TODO list elements in the 2nd and 3rd sections, but of course it depends of many factors. Anyway here is the current list:

QuoteMajor site upgrade features to add
Recent Posts:
-Recent posts feature with the same layout as regular sub-forums (like on Omnimaga) with the category and cloned locations appearing below the title next to the author
-The ability to filter the recent posts list by category (like on Lexaloffle and Flarum), one at a time and also by genre (eg dev-related) and certain tags (calcs, tutorials, etc)
-Recent posts page shows by default instead of board index, but there would be an option to switch between board index by default or vice-versa, depending of user's preference.

AJAX notification system (for those who don't use IRC nor WalrusIRC):
-Updates every 30 second
-When mentioned in a post (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When a PM is received (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When there are new posts on the forums  (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When a new post is made in the currently-viewed topic (a warning appears below the list of posts in the topic)

Site navigation
-Welcome User+Avatar inside navbar, to the left
-Inbox and profile gets replaced with icons that appears next to it
-Rest of navigation moved to the center

Feature ideas (some might be scrapped if a SMF 2.1 upgrade come at the horizon)
-Add more games to the arcade, which must either be ports/remakes of calculator games or games made by our members. Having more z80/ez80-themed games would be nice, like Supersonic Ball.
-Make the Report to Moderator feature downvote posts automatically.
-Make WalrusIRC show forum and Telegram users in the online list instead of just IRC users
-Fix theme glitch when using search (green rectangle appearing besides the Logout link
-Fix all PHP errors. None causes any harm it seems, but an error-free site would definitively be much better and professional.
-Add merch store (there is one under construction but the selection is poor and I need to buy samples) <-This is scrapped until the Canadian dollar increases again. I can't afford to spend $50 for a t-shirt.

TODO
-Add flood control to img.codewalr.us and fix the img.codewalr.us directory listing.
-Get W-803, W-804, W-805 and W-807 back online and on a stable connection. We need more than 3 bots to keep the channel opped.
-Make WalrusIRC iOS-compatible. (seems like a CSS3 problem causing the textarea to be hidden in shoutbox view)
-Add a tutorials link in the site navigation
-Fix some theme issues preventing some text from being visible on mobile. For example, on the board stats page, maybe we could hide New members column or make some lists a smaller width percentage, such as 95%?
-Fix karma showing up twice below posts
-Fix display issues with upvote/downvote buttons inside locked topics for non-staff members.

And perhaps I should add "Fix img.codewalr.us image upload in there"

Dream of Omnimaga

Minor update:

-Future members now receive notifications of new replies to their posts via e-mail by default. They get notified of only the first reply to their post after they post, though, not all replies. They can disable this in their profile.
-Future member accounts now have the member profile navigation setup as a sidebar instead of top navigation by default. It can be changed via the << or >> image icon there.
-Child boards now show up on every page inside boards.

aetios

I might be getting every reply in my email. I don't really mind (keeps me up to date) but maybe something to note.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Did you start getting replies now without changing any settings? Because I personally don't get any email and the aforementioned change should only apply to future user registrations.

Not to mention SMF topic notification is supposed to only send 1 reply notification until you read the topic again (ActuallY I think it might send the next one after even if you don't reply, if that's what you mean)

aetios

I just checked and while I don't get multiple updates  per topic, I do get the updates in my mail. Like I said no biggie but it's worth noting.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

DarkestEx

REQUEST:
Could you please add a field to the user profile that allows adding a copyright notice to the avatar.
Like a hover (alt) field that allows specifying who originally made the image.
This will certainly prevent issues in the future and I would have had use for this field more than once yet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, did a forum member stole one of your avatar artwork? O.O

That could be an interesting feature. Couldn't it be the custom user text, though?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 18, 2016, 12:00:35 AM
Wait, did a forum member stole one of your avatar artwork? O.O

That could be an interesting feature. Couldn't it be the custom user text, though?
Nono, but I am using avatars created by other people since a while now and using my Signature for the copyright is not ideal.
A dedicated copyright field that is visible when hovering over the image. I don't think the custom user text is too good for that either.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. @Streetwalrus or @Juju would need to look into this, but I think it would require writing a new SMF modification (unless you want to write one :P)