Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Android][PC] USB Mountr

Started by novenary, January 07, 2017, 10:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

So I screwed up the bootloader on my PC. Again. :P I was able to fix it but it's always a pain to borrow another computer to download an ISO of my favorite distro and prepare a USB stick to repair that every time.
There's a neat application called DriveDroid that lets you use your phone as a USB drive for this exact purpose, but on my phone it was setting the gadget driver to the wrong mode, causing it to emulate a CDROM drive instead of a more conventional thumb drive (which Arch doesn't like), plus it's not open source, so I made my own application which is much faster and does things properly.

Source code and downloads are on GitHub (APKs in the releases tab, root is mandatory).

I tested it on my (2012 model) Nexus 7 and my OnePlus 2, not with my Nexus 4 though since it's on the unrooted stock ROM and I need to charge it as well. I've heard of a Nexus 5 and a OnePlus X working fine with it, so I presume compatibility should be fairly good.

Have fun with it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice Streetwalrus. Also I'm glad your PC and phone are safe without precious data loss. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I've lost data on my phone too many times. <_< I never store anything important on it though so it's fine.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. At least you learned unlike certain people :P (I remember someone who lost his Cemetech contest entry about 6 times to RAM clears, yet still made no backup at all)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, that's something that is pretty useful.

(also the ID lol)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

This is very useful, i wasn't aware this was possible on Android !
I do wonder if this can be used to mount other operating systems as well like FreeDOS for example...
If so then there's no need to use Easy2Boot or buy a Gotek :P

I kind of wish i had this earlier because i too screwed up my mbr with an update.

Thanks @Streetwalrus !
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

novenary

CDROM  mode would be useful for legacy type isos which expect booting from an actual CD unless you use something like unetbootin, but it's only available in newer kernels and I don't really want to overcomplicate this. It should work fine with anything you can dd straight to a USB stick though. Not sure about freedos.

novenary

I submitted the app to fdroid, hopefully they accept it. https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroiddata/merge_requests/1943

Edit: they accepted it, woo.