Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Most Important Languages

Started by SiphonicSugar, November 17, 2016, 03:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p2

I suppose you use Ruby, @Unicorn? :)
How is it compared to other languages? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 29, 2016, 09:10:06 PM
[...]

As for JS I don't think it's very important anymore, because it always had severe cross-browser compatibility issues and many people have JS disabled. Flash is even worse. As for Java I'm not sure. What do you guys think about Python and Lua? Both seems pretty popular.
JS is been used more and more on other platforms, though. With node.js JS is used for server-applications now and many platforms allow running JS code in some way, such as the pebble, i think the esp and arduino, too.

As for JS in the browser, the cross-compability issues are becoming fewer and fewer, and simply because it is on by default most people don't turn it off. Only a very small minority use an addon such as noscript to filter it.
I'd say these days websites rely way more on JS than they used to, e.g. mobile reddit doesn't work at all with JS, I encounter quite often websites that don't work at all with JS disabled and like YouTube requires JS and such stuff. It seems more like JS seems to be replacing flash, which is IMO a good thing.

Anyhow, just my thoughts ^.^
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

p2

I pretty much agree on that.
Doing the multi-browser-compatibility by hand is still pretty much of a drag, which makes more users switch to stuff like jQuery and Bootstrap for their websites. That way compatibility problems as well as the amount of work can be minimized, sadly making many websites look rather similiar :/
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Unicorn

Quote from: p2 on November 30, 2016, 02:17:15 PM
I suppose you use Ruby, @Unicorn? :)
How is it compared to other languages? :)

It's fun. It is kinda tough finding a way to package apps, because it made for web design, but there are a few tools for it. Making an application is super easy as well, :D
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???