Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI-84 Plus fails OS validation after multiple re-install attempts

Started by E37, August 11, 2016, 05:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E37

EDIT (Feb 6 2024) by Dream of Omnimaga:
CLICK HERE IF YOUR 84+CE IS HARDWARE REVISION AA FROM 2022 AND GOT STUCK IN A OS VALIDATION LOOP RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX WHILE IT'S PLUGGED IN.

After a crash I decided to reinstall my 84's OS since it wouldn't get past the ram cleared screen.
Now it will install the OS but fail the validation after 3 seconds and ask for it to be reinstalled again.
I've tried 5 times...
I have unsigned installed, and can't get past the "Waiting... Please install operating system now."
Any suggestions?
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

c4ooo

Try installing a different (perhaps older) OS?
Anyways, i dont know this "unsigned" program you are talking about :(

Dream of Omnimaga

It's a tool that allows TI-84+ calcs that run Boot code 1.03 to downgrade below OS 2.55MP: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/441/44190.html

I never used it myself and never got Validation Error messages during OS transfers, but make sure you don't press any key during the validation process. If it still fails then I hope it's not due to a broken certificate.

Anyway I'm renaming your topic to be easier to find.

EDIT: When the "Waiting: Please re-install OS" message pops-up, does pressing MODE open a screen saying "Testing flash..."? Maybe you need to remove a battery then put it back while holding down ON+MODE, I forgot. But if you run this for a while it erases your flash (except the certificate and boot code, according to this post https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130411#130411 ). Once this is done you could try resending an OS again and see if it works. If the Testing flash thing fails then it might mean that your calc is bricked.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

A couple of years ago I got the exact same problem on a TI-84+ too and never found a solution.
The old OS was deleted (wanted to install an older one) but then it always failed to validate the new ones...
Already tried with numerous versions of the OS both from other TIs and from computer (using different software)
But for me that hasn't changed anything.

I used unsigned, too, but back then I caused this by messing around with a very old (unstable) version of axe.
(It was putting some funny stuff of some random memory in my Y1 var so I was playing around to see what else I could do with it...)
So unsigned wasn't the trigger, but maybe it also got something to do with it ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

It is installing now. Ill see if it works.
I was messing around with Axe too, but it was 1.2.2 and I wasn't fooling with anything serious.
I probably brought some of this on my self. It said ti-84 plus 2.43 but not RAM cleared. It wouldn't advance past that point even after pulling all the batteries several times. My reaction was to reinstall the OS. Which brought all the trouble on me.
Update: It didn't install but ON + mode did work. Ill try it again. It's counting up... to what though?
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!

Dream of Omnimaga

I forgot how high the counter goes up. Maybe @Adriweb or @critor might know?

If you have an OS installed but it crashes instead of RAM Clearing, could you remove a battery and hold down CLEAR while putting it back? IIRC that forces a RAM Clear, then you have to do a full memory reset.

E37

If by crashing you mean Erroring and sending me back to reinstall the OS? Then yes.

Edit: Nothing works. Any final suggestions? Its behavior has remained unchanged with any/all methods.
I found out that the number after the ON+ mode is how many times it has checked the flash. It will go on forever.

I may just have to call it dead.

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, sorry to hear. Maybe someone on Cemetech might know more but I'm afraid your calc is officially dead. If it's still under warranty you will be better off getting the receipt and returning it to the store :(

You could always try to e-mail the author of Unsigned on ticalc.org, though, in case this happened to him while debugging it. But if you forgot an important step while installing Unsigned then that is very prone to damage, like with other similar tools.

E37

Update: Fixed it!
It turns out that instead of sending 2.55MP I was actually sending 2.22. No idea where that came from.
It worked fine with 2.55. I have a copy of 2.22 if anyone wants it. (PM me)
Thanks for all your help!

p2

glad to hear that! :D
I would really appreciate if you could send me the instructions how you fixed yours and the necessary files ^^
mine has bean like that for 2 years now... time to revive it! ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

E37

Once it is at the please wait... install OS, turn it off and the back on while holding mode.
That will clear the flash. wait until the periods are done (don't wait for the numbers, they go on forever)
I sent 2.55MP to the calc (download it from TI's website) and it worked fine.

Dream of Omnimaga

Where did you get 2.22? If it's an official 2.55MP download link the it might be worth it to notify TI (and keep a backup of 2.22 in case).

Anyway I am glad you fixed your calc. :D I am surprised that even with Unsigned installed you couldn't downgrade below OS 2.55MP, though

p2

@E37 I love you! <3
I finally fixed my calc after all these years!! :D :D :D  :w00t:
Thank you so much!  :thumbsup:

just pressed MODE to get the flash cleared and then send 2.43 *-* <3

E37

Quote from: p2 on August 15, 2016, 07:30:31 PM
@E37 I love you! <3
I finally fixed my calc after all these years!! :D :D :D  :w00t:
Thank you so much!  :thumbsup:

just pressed MODE to get the flash cleared and then send 2.43 *-* <3
Awesome!!!  ;D
I didn't do all that much but cobble together the suggestions of everyone else...
Did you used Unsigned? Or just have an older boot code?
That must be an awesome feeling! I was so excited when I fixed mine after a day of being broken.  :w00t: