Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

nReuben Discussion Topic

Started by pimathbrainiac, November 13, 2014, 01:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimathbrainiac

nReuben is a port of Reuben Quest: Ev Awakening for the TI-Nspire series of calculators. It is programmed in Ndless C (repo available here).
This is the discussion topic for nReuben, where non-release updates will be posted as well as general discussion about the project. Release updates will be in a separate thread.

Currently I have a screentest, and am working on porting the maps.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Pics or it didn't happen. :P

On a more serious note, I wonder what you are going for in terms of scrolling and tile by tile movement? Will Reuben move smoothly or case by case like in LDStudio's game? Also is there scrolling or even smooth scrolling?

As suggestion, if you are going for 2x 8x8 tileset, you should try to make every pixel aligned properly, unlike in juju's Supersonic Ball PC game. Basically, have everything move at multiples of 2 pixels intervals rather than 1.

As for the maps this could be handy, but I don't have colored versions of the Reuben 2 maps (click to enlarge. I set forum image size limits):

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I want to point out that LDStudios game features smooth scrolling and that the shockiness of the movement was caused by the screenshare rather than lua. DJ those tiles look amazing in color O.O
ceci n'est pas une signature

novenary

If you need, feel free to steal some code from Pokespire (it doesn't use n2Dlib anymore but it'll be pretty easy to port it back). Plus you should totally use my repo tree and makefiles. :P

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 13, 2014, 04:27:39 AM
Pics or it didn't happen. :P

On a more serious note, I wonder what you are going for in terms of scrolling and tile by tile movement? Will Reuben move smoothly or case by case like in LDStudio's game? Also is there scrolling or even smooth scrolling?

As suggestion, if you are going for 2x 8x8 tileset, you should try to make every pixel aligned properly, unlike in juju's Supersonic Ball PC game. Basically, have everything move at multiples of 2 pixels intervals rather than 1.

As for the maps this could be handy, but I don't have colored versions of the Reuben 2 maps (click to enlarge. I set forum image size limits):

Those pics are pretty awesome and indeed helpful (I think it will make it easier to use mappy, in fact). Also I'll get you pics once the maps are ported.

Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 13, 2014, 10:38:18 AM
If you need, feel free to steal some code from Pokespire (it doesn't use n2Dlib anymore but it'll be pretty easy to port it back). Plus you should totally use my repo tree and makefiles. :P

I already use a similar custom makefile for all my n2DLib projects :P
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on November 13, 2014, 09:44:30 AM
I want to point out that LDStudios game features smooth scrolling and that the shockiness of the movement was caused by the screenshare rather than lua. DJ those tiles look amazing in color O.O
Wait, how did he manage to achieve smooth scrolling with sprites in Lua? O.o I thought it was way too slow for that. If he did then that's pretty impressive.

Also thanks Pimath. Just beware of Mappy's quirkinesses. It can be annoying at times such as the lack of multiple Undo's.

Is sprite scaling fast in n2Dlib and Ndless? It might be best to just use 8x8 tiles scaled up to double their size rather than wasting 4 times more space with blown up graphics, but if it causes severe slowdowns then I guess not.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

I think there is no scaling in n2DLib at the present time (but don't quote me on that). Also is there some kind of script that I can use to convert that image and the tileset into a mappy readable map? That would be really useful, but not necessary, since I can still port those by hand.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think so, but you can import the picture inside Mappy, since this is what I did at first with the grayscale maps. It just takes a very long while IIRC.

pimathbrainiac

Well that sucks D: I'm working on the importing now. I'll upload the mappy file (in a zip, because attachment restrictions) once I'm done.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Now if only xLIBC didn't have restrictive limitations for map size (not really map size that is a problem, but rather how large sub-programs can be when you want to read from an archived one), I could use the same Mappy file for a CSE remake. Anyway good luck!

pimathbrainiac

Actually, do you have the mappy file and data for that still? I just realized it's stupid to rewrite something that I can probably get from the source easily XD
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

I think I do, but they might be in a different format since I was using an xLIB plugin, plus my tilesheet is different than above.

pimathbrainiac

So I made a progress! Using the maps DJ made for Reuben CSE (thanks, btw) I have imported all the map data into the source.
And now for screenie!

Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Looks nice despite the lack of color, will it show up in color on color models by the way or if you have no plan for color? If that's the case then maybe you should use the tilesets from Reuben 2 ASM by Sorunome which would look better.

Also, you should probably scale up all sprites so they are 16x16 and make the map 20x15 on the screen, because 40x30 is very not standard and it will look very small on the small calculator screen. This would make the game look like 160x120 but I still think it would look fine becuase it would be true to the original, not to mention even the HP Prime version was going to be 160x120 anyway.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 30, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
Looks nice despite the lack of color, will it show up in color on color models by the way or if you have no plan for color?
You just make me want to color the overworld sprites... Darn...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.