Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

OS WAR!

Started by LD Studios, January 08, 2015, 12:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh, right, I forgot about that one. Is it legal or not?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

According to Apple's ToS, no. And it's kind of hard anyway, because drivers hardly exists for hardware other than Apple's, but it's doable.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. I was curious since some people say it's legal to install a CAS OS on a non-CAS TI-Nspire model. However, TI-OSes are offered for free by TI themselves so in their case it might have been more an ethic issue than legal. On the other hand, I also remember the Sony vs Georges Hotz lawsuit matter just for a jailbreak x.x
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well yeah, it's indeed comparable to TI, but in this case, the OS isn't distributed anywhere other than with new Macs (calculators don't normally have internet so they can't update by themselves, that's why the TI OS is distributed for free) and it could potentially be installed on other hardware, unlike the TI OS.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on January 29, 2015, 03:49:15 AM
calculators don't normally have internet so they can't update by themselves
...for now. I wouldn't be surprised if TI actually made a calc that automatically connects to some proprietary TI ISP reachable worldwide then force every OS update on the user unless the battery is dead. That would cost them a crapload of money to setup and run but they're so anti-Ndless that they would probably bankrupt themselves just to block it.

Jim Bauwens

I actually don't recommend using WUBI. It depends on the state of the NTFS partition you install it on plus speedwise it will be a lot slower. If you ever get serious about using your Linux installation you will regret having installed it with WUBI.

In any case, I'm using Mac OS X 10.9 at the moment. Haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. Considering windows releases, Windows 7 is currently the best in my opinion, but Windows 10 seems shaping up nicely. If there would be proper retina support in Linux distributions I would be using that on my Mac. I do miss the power of it.

Strontium

Is bumping allowed? I hope bumping is allowed.

Arch Linux represent!
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Yuki

Arch Linux is best. By the way, I should update my system. Probably when Linux 4.0 will be up in the repos.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

Better than windows exploder
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Strontium on April 24, 2015, 04:22:19 AM
Is bumping allowed? I hope bumping is allowed.

Arch Linux represent!
Yup, bumping is allowed in some case, for example relaunching a potentially good discussion :)

DarkestEx

I use Windows 7 for my daily things. I might make the free update to Windows 10, but I am not entirely sure about that. Linux is still great and I have it installed on my Workstation and as a virtual machine on my Windows PC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

I will upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out but right now I still have windows 7
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

novenary

Quote from: Jim Bauwens on February 08, 2015, 05:18:39 PM
I actually don't recommend using WUBI. It depends on the state of the NTFS partition you install it on plus speedwise it will be a lot slower. If you ever get serious about using your Linux installation you will regret having installed it with WUBI.

In any case, I'm using Mac OS X 10.9 at the moment. Haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. Considering windows releases, Windows 7 is currently the best in my opinion, but Windows 10 seems shaping up nicely. If there would be proper retina support in Linux distributions I would be using that on my Mac. I do miss the power of it.
Xorg has support for variable dpi. Have you looked into that ?

Vogtinator

I have read in a magazine that linux supports high-dpi displays just fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

novenary

Yeah the arch wiki also has a detailed page about it.

By the way we only talked about desktop operating systems, but there's also mobile. :P
Personally I think that android on "open" phones is the least crappy of all, as it lets you mess around quite a bit but it's still a huge mess under the hood. I'm not talking about sailfish, Firefox os or Ubuntu phone because they're not viable alternatives (not enough commercial interest in them and/or incompleteness make them inaccessible at the moment, worse than windows phone).