Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Bejeweled 84+ progress thread

Started by JWinslow23, July 16, 2015, 06:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 17, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
Yeah I wish that sending 84+ programs to a color calc automatically changed the coordinates like on the Casio PRIZM. It would not have to be entirely similar, though. Maybe I could attempt porting it or something at one point?
That could be cool. We could have a contest between bejewelds. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Quote from: JWinslow23 on July 17, 2015, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: CKH4 on July 17, 2015, 10:07:53 PM
Oh yeah, I'd never do that. Preferably I'd send you the code and you could do what you like with it. Anyways good luck.
You too, if I understood you correctly.

Now to work on scoring (and a side project I'm doing that ISN'T a game, called "Glitch Busters". More on that later.)
Glitch Busters?!
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 17, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
Yeah I wish that sending 84+ programs to a color calc automatically changed the coordinates like on the Casio PRIZM. It would not have to be entirely similar, though. Maybe I could attempt porting it or something at one point?
You can! Go right ahead!
Quote from: Unicorn on July 17, 2015, 11:09:31 PM
That could be cool. We could have a contest between bejewelds. :P
Haha yeah. For graphics and speed in the BASIC Bejeweleds, Unknownloner's beats mine. But for the pureness of the BASICs, mine wins so far :P

Quote from: alexgt on July 17, 2015, 11:36:50 PM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on July 17, 2015, 10:09:37 PM
Quote from: CKH4 on July 17, 2015, 10:07:53 PM
Oh yeah, I'd never do that. Preferably I'd send you the code and you could do what you like with it. Anyways good luck.
You too, if I understood you correctly.

Now to work on scoring (and a side project I'm doing that ISN'T a game, called "Glitch Busters". More on that later.)
Glitch Busters?!
Stay tuned ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I thought it was cool that you managed to get such speed in pure BASIC. I am curious if a similar game could be made using dual-layer or even triple-layer ASCII sprites? Because it would be even faster.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 18, 2015, 02:29:59 AM
Yeah I thought it was cool that you managed to get such speed in pure BASIC. I am curious if a similar game could be made using dual-layer or even triple-layer ASCII sprites? Because it would be even faster.
Mayhaps those sprites could be designed? I'd love to see that

unknownloner

BTW I will be porting the Bejeweled CSE to CE in pure BASIC, I just need to test out a larger tile size because they're too small right now.

On the topic of this version, the title screen animation actually looks really cool! I think it might get annoying waiting for it every time though. You planning to add a setting to disable it?

/)

JWinslow23

Quote from: unknownloner on July 18, 2015, 02:33:38 AM
BTW I will be porting the Bejeweled CSE to CE in pure BASIC, I just need to test out a larger tile size because they're too small right now.

On the topic of this version, the title screen animation actually looks really cool! I think it might get annoying waiting for it every time though. You planning to add a setting to disable it?
It's not an animation. It is the actual process of drawing it. If you don't do that, then there will be no Bejeweled logo, and no Popcap logo and jewel. If I get rid of that method of drawing, I can even kiss the GEMS goodbye :P

Google "ti basic text sprites".

unknownloner

I know it's the actual process of drawing it. It's still an animation ;). Just like the "falling animation" in my BASIC version is just the process of redrawing tiles when they move.

/)

JWinslow23

Quote from: unknownloner on July 18, 2015, 02:37:12 AM
I know it's the actual process of drawing it. It's still an animation ;)
Well, it's an animation, but it's required to draw it in the first place. If I want to do it in the "purest of BASIC" (which I do), I have to do that. I find it annoying, too, though, I agree with you.

unknownloner

My point was that the animation you're forced to use looks really cool :P
Though technically you don't _have_ to do it for the logo, we do have pic vars in pure BASIC.

/)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on July 18, 2015, 02:30:43 AM
There is a tool on Omnimaga called Tile Finder, by Builderboy, that lets you find character combinations. You can choose if you want the two ASCII chars aligned or the second one offset by 1 pixel to the right. To find combinations, you draw a sprite yourself, then it will find the closest possible matches. But you need Java to run it:

http://www.omnimaga.org/files/Our-TI-PC-Products-Music-and-Calculator-Videos/Our-TI-programs-and-utilities/TileFinder.zip

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: unknownloner on July 18, 2015, 02:40:12 AM
My point was that the animation you're forced to use looks really cool :P
Though technically you don't _have_ to do it for the logo, we do have pic vars in pure BASIC.
I want to not have to use Pic variables. They could easily get overwritten by other programs. Plus, I'm already using Pic variables to help with textsprites.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 18, 2015, 02:43:30 AM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on July 18, 2015, 02:30:43 AM
There is a tool on Omnimaga called Tile Finder, by Builderboy, that lets you find character combinations. You can choose if you want the two ASCII chars aligned or the second one offset by 1 pixel to the right. To find combinations, you draw a sprite yourself, then it will find the closest possible matches. But you need Java to run it:

http://www.omnimaga.org/files/Our-TI-PC-Products-Music-and-Calculator-Videos/Our-TI-programs-and-utilities/TileFinder.zip

Alright. I'll be sure to use it. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

If you don't want to use any picture variable, then forget about dual-layer ASCII then, because it requires the use of a picture during rendering (to recall the first layer on top of the second). Unless you mean you don't want to use pre-rendered pictures? I think temporary pictures are fine since they can help speeding things up a lot by redrawing graphics that you rendered faster when they get erased.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide :)

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 18, 2015, 03:06:17 AM
If you don't want to use any picture variable, then forget about dual-layer ASCII then, because it requires the use of a picture during rendering (to recall the first layer on top of the second). Unless you mean you don't want to use pre-rendered pictures? I think temporary pictures are fine since they can help speeding things up a lot by redrawing graphics that you rendered faster when they get erased.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide :)
I already have temporary pictures. They are required to have any feasible speed with textsprites without redrawing EVERYTHING to the right. I just don't want pre rendered ones is all. I'm fine with dual-layer ASCII.

Unicorn

I get what you mean with the pre rendered  pic vars. Things could get messy :}
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???