Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Lost Souls (A project I don't plan on abandoning soon)

Started by xMarminq_, January 25, 2017, 03:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xMarminq_

Hi! I guess...

I'm going to be working on a small game called Lost Souls.
It all starts with a mysterious phone call for a free cruise trip to a tropical island you have never heard of (ITS A SCAM!... sorta). Being the gullible piece of trash you are (And plot reasons) you go on it. Turns out it was not a scam but actually a really nice cruise... until you get beached because the captain was texting while boating. Turn out, the island you got beached on is in the middle of a mysterious outbreak that makes them hungry, hungry for people! Try to  rescuing others in an effort to escape the island alive!

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/140716234/

Changelog will always be the first post of this topic, so keep that in mind when searching for changes and on the project page

:thumbsup: CHANGELOG:
-Added to-do list that will take me ages to complete because I'm a perfectionist
-Walk cycle for player (only up key, should be for down key)
-Start room
-Start screen
-Walk Cycle! (26/17)
-SOUNDTRACK! (Click see inside ->Map (Sprite Menu)-> Sounds) (26/17)
-Bathroom finished!
-True WASD and arrow key support!

>:( TO DO LIST:
✓ Title✓ /Instructions✓/Starting room✓
☐Intro Cutscene
☐Transportation Cutscene
☐Controls (Almost done, need to code some inventory and interaction, for the CV (Arrow key format) and QE (WASD format) keys
☐Border detection for ALL of the map
☐Enemy design/programming
☐Music (Pretty much done)
☐More to do boxes
☐Rest of game  :P

(-_(//)); HOW TO ACCESS SOUNDTRACK:
1. Click project link
2. Click the "See Inside" button on the top right
3. Find the Sprites on the lower left
4. Click the one named "Map"
5. Near the top middle, find the tab called sounds
6. Tell me if it was good or not
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

Moved to PC/Mac dev sub-forum and added to Web section, as this doesn't appear to be a calculator game.

This seems kinda interesting. And now I see where your avatar comes from :P. I am curious about what you'll come up with. Could you provide more details about what game genre this will be? (eg RPG)

Also make sure to bump this topic when you got updates, since editing the first post will not notify users.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

Uuuuh trying such a big project on a platform like scratch might be hard, but I'm really looking forward to see it done ;D
good luck with this! :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

xMarminq_

Scratch is probably the most easiest platform to program on, so let's see if I can even program on the easiest platform ever.  :P

p2

actually scratch is pretty har if you hake advanced stuff...
sure its easier to get there, but its super hard to modify stuff only slightly towards something that wasn't supported my scratch.
also if you crete too many objects (had the problem with a snow animation) the program kills itself... <_<
I personally would NOT recommend scratch for bigger projects
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

xMarminq_

I'll try not to clone sprites or have a big library of sprites. There's just gonna be a lot of costumes. 10 sprites max.  :thumbsup:

xMarminq_

(Updated! see the top post or first post)

This update has all necessary walking animations and components.

DJ sorry if this is a double post, this message will appear if it was updated and was a double post.  :-\

xMarminq_

This update has all music added, at least until I make some more or find more.

p2

wow well that looks much better than I expected :D The collision detection is working nice :)

xMarminq_

don't do the d key and left arrow though... It beats the collision detection...

xMarminq_

This update has true WASD and arrow support along with the finishing touches on the bathroom, wth a reskin of the bath which fits in more with the game

Dream of Omnimaga

I will check it out soon. I wonder, though, what makes it so difficult to make walking and collision in 4 directions when one dirrction is already done? Shouldn't it use the same code?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

xMarminq_

Dream of Omnimaga

So I tried it and I have a few suggestions: Maybe make the main track loop because it doesn't appear to do so (all there is afterwards are two beeps). Also maybe make the background a different color than white so that it looks more like you're indoors, like in Final Fantasy or Zelda. I like the graphical style so far. Also do you use tilemapping for collision or is it completely hard-coded for each object/wall?

xMarminq_