Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Mario 84

Started by annoyingcalc, October 08, 2015, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annoyingcalc

For the last month after toying around in Axe for a bit of the summer, I started a Super Mario game. I think it's gotten to the point where I can finally post about it. 

I aim for this project to beat Sam Heald's Super Mario 2.0, because it's been 16 years since its release and there should have been a better Mario game released since then.
*cough*Project M*cough*.

I am using screenshots from Project M to decide what features I should add.

Here are the features I have/plan to have

Done:
Horizontal Scrolling (duh)
On calc level editor
Animated blocks
Standard blocks
Standard powerups (eg: 1up, regular mushroom, fireflower)
Animated mario

Planned:
Wider enemy selection (currently only Goombas, planned: Koopas, bullet bills,
Better physics (If anyone could help me with this that'd be awesome)
Built in levelpack

Working on:
Vertical scrolling (nearly done, I really wish I had started this at the beginning of the project, just fixing bugs)

Maybe:
Racoon powerup
Yoshi (This is less likely)

Probably not happening:
Greyscale backgrounds.
Map like Super Mario Bros 3

Screenshots coming soon. If anyone has any questions just ask! Download will probably come shortly after screenshots.

Also, if anyone has a better name for the project I'd love to hear it.

SiphonicSugar

FINALLY!

I was so happy to hear about Project M, and then it was never completed.  The Mario game that is out there right now sucks because of no grey scale.

But anyway, I think that this is great that someone is actually making a decent Mario game.  Do you think that I could be a beta tester?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

annoyingcalc

Sure, once I iron out the major bugs and can access my laptop instead of this iPad I'll send a copy.

Also, currently there is no greyscale, partly due to my limited artistic abilities. If anyone wants to help with graphics that would be nice. However, in my opinion it looks a bit nicer than Sam Heald's right now.

SiphonicSugar

Lol, I wish that I could help with grey scale...
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

LD Studios

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 08, 2015, 10:37:49 PM
Sure, once I iron out the major bugs and can access my laptop instead of this iPad I'll send a copy.

Also, currently there is no greyscale, partly due to my limited artistic abilities. If anyone wants to help with graphics that would be nice. However, in my opinion it looks a bit nicer than Sam Heald's right now.
If implementing grey scale is really just a matter of artistic abilities, tell us the sprites you need at what dimensions and I'm sure people will help

JWinslow23

Quote from: annoyingcalc on October 08, 2015, 10:37:49 PM

3-lvl or 4-lvl? I could help if you want. ;)

annoyingcalc

Mario is 16x8, and everything else is 8x8. (However I'd be willing to modify it to work 16x8 for enemies like koopas)

Either 3-lvl or 4-lvl greyscale is fine.

On a side note, I fixed all collision detection (the major bugs) with vertical scrolling :D
I'll upload screenshots once I get my laptop again.

tr1p1ea

Looking forward to screenshots!

Unicorn

Quote from: tr1p1ea on October 09, 2015, 02:17:52 AM
Looking forward to screenshots!
Indeed! This sounds like it'll be quite a game :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Pictures, or it didn't happen :P

I am glad you are trying calculator programming again, though. :)
Quote from: SiphonicSugar on October 08, 2015, 10:11:15 PM
FINALLY!

I was so happy to hear about Project M, and then it was never completed.  The Mario game that is out there right now sucks because of no grey scale.

But anyway, I think that this is great that someone is actually making a decent Mario game.  Do you think that I could be a beta tester?
I don't think the current Mario game is that bad. JUst because it lacks grayscale doesn't mean it's bad either. The problem is that it's so ancient and buggy that it's surprising that no new Mario game ever came out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

You should make it like super mario 64 :trollface:
More seriously, this looks like a hell of a job. Make sure not to get caught on very small details and I guess ask for help whenever you need it. I'd love to see this happen.
ceci n'est pas une signature

annoyingcalc

Yeah, Physics ans graphics are probably the biggest things holding me back. I am ready to make screenshots, I just need access to a pc with TI-Connect and wabbitemu

c4ooo

If you want help with interupt greyscale, i guess i could send / explain how to use runer112's Greylib. My version is a bit modified, though and just contains what i need. (Basically do to axe's long compile time it was impossible for me to sit and watch the giant lib got compiled :P ) Also, i presume you are using partial redraw, right?

annoyingcalc

Partial redraw? Never heard pf it, could you explain?

CKH4

Only drawing the parts of the screen that have changed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+