Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

International board/topics?

Started by Yuki, January 22, 2015, 07:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

What you think about it? The current idea is to not create boards right now, but to allow people to post in another language, but you'd have to prefix your title with [FR] or [NL] or something like that. If it's popular then we might consider creating some boards for that. That would be nice to attract some international users.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I am ok with the idea, but for the time being we should wait until we have 100 French posts before creating a new sub-forum. After all, the FR boards on Omni did not have much success, so I doubt they'll be that popular on CW. We never know, though, since we are not only calc-related.

I think for the time being we should stick to French, though, because most staff only know English and French so it would be hard to moderate with just 1 dutch-speaking admin.

Also for now topics that are in French would need a [FR] prefix, like Omnimaga back in 2004 on yAronet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah well nearly all our staff is French, and the other is Dutch, so it would be pretty easy moderating the forum in French. We can definitely tell people they can post in French if they want, that wouldn't hurt. In Dutch, maybe, since we have a Dutch mod, but don't count on us to moderate Chinese topics.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

We might also need to install a French language pack. I'M unsure if it would work with all the custom stuff we have, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Are language packs really important ?
Other than that I'm fine with having French and Dutch as long as we can moderate it. In the case of dutch having one more mod who speaks dutch wouldn't hurt tho.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

International topics means international staff. According to such a sub-forum, you would need more than one  native (or good speaker/write) moderator to moderate the forum.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 22, 2015, 10:49:07 AM
Are language packs really important ?
Other than that I'm fine with having French and Dutch as long as we can moderate it. In the case of dutch having one more mod who speaks dutch wouldn't hurt tho.
Well, if we want French people who don't speak any English around (eg Juju's friend), then if the site system is only in English then getting them to sign up will be very hard. Back in the days, TI-Planet's English mode didn't work in certain browsers and despite English posts being allowed, most English people wouldn't bother signing up until this was fixed.

novenary

Ah ok I didn't know that. Omni doesn't have extra language packs. Btw I hope that it's configurable and not IP based or something.

Dream of Omnimaga

Configurabe. But Idk if using languages is possible for guests.

Yuki

Well you can always try to install one (the French one, that is). Your browser sends its language preferences in the request headers and the language pack might check that out.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I was more thinking about having it set to English by default, and have flags somewhere on the screen or navbar

Yuki

Yeah, it will be in English by default, those who want it in French can set that up in their profile.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

novenary

Sounds good to me. Does it allow changing stuff such as subforum titles ?

Dream of Omnimaga

Nope. All titles would remain in English, unless someone ever ports this to SMF 2.0
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1276

Btw for the sake of transparency, should we move this to cw discussion once decided?