Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The future of Codewalrus

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 05, 2015, 09:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on December 18, 2015, 04:04:08 PM
Glad no one said "yes" O.O
Actually for the sake of it I voted for yes :trollface:
But you all know that I don't mean it like this :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

alexgt

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 18, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
It is not unanimous! close it down :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: DarkestEx on December 18, 2015, 04:45:15 PM
Actually someone else voted yes at first last week or so, so unless your vote was last week then that makes it two people and the other person changed his vote :P

Anyway I think the consensus is that there will be a sub-forum structure change to reduce focus on calcs and increase focus on programming of all sort and our other topics of interest, just so that the non-calc topics are less hidden.

Activity at the end of last month and earlier in december was quite scary, though, because it was unusual for that time of the year (since the activity drop normally happens during the second half of December). What made it scary, though, is not the lower amount of posts, but rather the drastic decrease in page views that lasted through it (went from 10K to 4K for a while).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Yeah, I dropped a little bit (maybe allot) and since people post about other posts if one person leaves all post counts for everybody drops (not saying it was any one person's fault).

When I voted (just before my first post on the topic) no one said yes...

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I remember when Eiyeron became inactive, or when Mateo on Cemetech left for a while, twice. In CW's case we never hit 2K posts in a month again afterwards. It really depends how much the person is active and his contributions, though (eg notable projects). Omni often experienced activity boosts just from being slashdotted or making it to Reddit front page in the past.

As for the yes vote I saw it the day I posted this topic (1 no and 19 yes) so either the person removed his vote or a staff tampered with it. :P

EDIT: The strangest thing about recent activity is that weekly stats are basically last year's stats mirrored. O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

1 no and 19 yes? :O :P
Let's survive and try to boost the community again with the CW contest :D
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Er, this was a typo. My bad. And yeah I hope the contest helps. That said, for some unknown reasons, most people who haven't yet announced their entry seems to insist on making entries that would break the forum rules, though ??? (and our rules about NSFW content are more lax than other calc sites overall).

Max Leiter

I'm late to the topic, but I haven't been posting because of school, so that definitely could be playing a part (although I am logged in every once in a while lurking). Now that finals are over I can hopefully be more active. CW is definitely my favorite tech-related forum, mostly because it doesn't look like it was made in the early 2000's

alexgt

Yuki

Heh, welcome back Max ^_^

Yeah, I like what we did of this forum, it doesn't look too old, it doesn't look too recent either like all the others websites that follows this design trend and at the same time it looks fine on a mobile device (thanks Street!) and the people on this site is pretty cool :3
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

you can say the part about people being pretty cool again Juju :P

Yuki

I can't say it enough. You guys are awesome.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

alexgt

You are to ;)

I can't say how thankful I am for CW because if it were't for CW I wouldn't be in the community :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Max Leiter on December 19, 2015, 04:57:49 PM
I'm late to the topic, but I haven't been posting because of school, so that definitely could be playing a part (although I am logged in every once in a while lurking). Now that finals are over I can hopefully be more active. CW is definitely my favorite tech-related forum, mostly because it doesn't look like it was made in the early 2000's
Hey we tried to make it look like it's from years ago to a certain extent D: , but again it's more that we tried to go with minimal style, such as no gradient everywhere, since that's the common thing to do nowadays. But I guess it's more modern in the way it doesn't look like Geocities or Proboards. :P

Anyway glad you guys like the site. I just kinda wish that when people don't like something they would post about it (even a new topic). On Omnimaga and Cemetech, there were often site issues topic, which can catch the attention of staff and possibly give them hints on what should be improved to keep people around. Of course, it depends how the issue is brought up (eg if the user is blatantly trying to give orders to admins) but when brought up maturely this can help, since no staff on any site is omniscient. :P

Anyway right now I guess this issue is solved, so perhaps I should rename the topic or redirect people to other topics?