Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalr.us Post Notifier [Windows] [Mac] [Linux]

Started by DarkestEx, May 17, 2015, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Amazing! I can't believe it actually still works :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it still does. The only reasons why I stopped using it for a while is because 1) my PC kept shutting down randomly, so until I figure out what caused it I decided to keep its usage to a minimum, 2) my PC took too long to startup so I started removing stuff from the startup folder. 3) notifications appeared in Starcraft during the game, making me exit by accident when clicking there and 4) it minimizes in the taskbar instead of system tray.

But I might put the post notifier back in the startup folder soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 13, 2016, 02:57:00 PM
Yeah it still does. The only reasons why I stopped using it for a while is because 1) my PC kept shutting down randomly, so until I figure out what caused it I decided to keep its usage to a minimum, 2) my PC took too long to startup so I started removing stuff from the startup folder. 3) notifications appeared in Starcraft during the game, making me exit by accident when clicking there and 4) it minimizes in the taskbar instead of system tray.

But I might put the post notifier back in the startup folder soon.
The source code is on GitHub and as you might be able to see there I not a single line of code that can cause shutdowns.
About start time and it being annoying, I am planning to add a silent (minimized) start option.
About games, feel free to disable the visual notifications. I can't do more about it I fear. You can keep audible notifications turned on so that you still know something new happened.
About the last thing, I am sorry, but I can't fix this, as I have kept the application working on Windows, Linux and Mac and most Linuxes don't implement the taskbar icon correctly. Not even windows really does (glitches).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I didn't say the software could have caused it, but I suspected that my PC was using too much power, so I tried to keep it to a minimum, and the post notifier happens to use quite a lot when images are loaded. I think my old GPU caused the shutdowns, though, but it could also be my PSU.

Also a silent start would be a great idea :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Hmm, I just stumbled over the old notifier.
I fixed it maybe one or two years ago, but now it broke again.
Even though probably nobody uses it anymore, it probably still warrants an update...

Dream of Omnimaga

What was the URL of the notifier? Before the SMF 2.1 RC2 upgrade I had a link on the recent topics page but it disappeared when we ditched Simpleportal.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 11, 2020, 05:24:16 PMWhat was the URL of the notifier? Before the SMF 2.1 RC2 upgrade I had a link on the recent topics page but it disappeared when we ditched Simpleportal.
https://codewalr.us/notifier/

DarkestEx

Alright, probably for the last time ever, I have fixed and finished the CW notifier.
You can download the binary files here: https://benedikt.cloud/dl/cwnotify/CodeWalrusNotifier-fixed-finally.zip

Have fun  :)

DarkestEx

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm I dunno if it's because of Windows Defender, but nothing happens when I double-click the exe file after decompressing the archive. I use Windows 10 and there's nothing out of the ordinary appearing in Task Manager

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 19, 2020, 06:01:17 PMHm I dunno if it's because of Windows Defender, but nothing happens when I double-click the exe file after decompressing the archive. I use Windows 10 and there's nothing out of the ordinary appearing in Task Manager
Do you have the Gtk# runtime library installed?
http://download.xamarin.com/GTKforWindows/Windows/gtk-sharp-2.12.38.msi

Dream of Omnimaga

Now a blank window appears for two seconds then the software shuts down by itself.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 19, 2020, 07:50:54 PMNow a blank window appears for two seconds then the software shuts down by itself.
Do you have extracted all files to one directory?
It's quite strange. Does the blank window have a title?

You should have the following files:
CodeWalriiNotify.exe
HtmlRenderer.dll
HtmlRenderer.WinForms.dll
Newtonsoft.Json.dll
settings.json
walrii.gif

If the files are complete, you might still want to try the latest version of GTK#:
https://xamarin.azureedge.net/GTKforWindows/Windows/gtk-sharp-2.12.45.msi

Personally, I absolutely can't stand Windows 10, so I don't have a single instance (and don't test my software with it).
Technically, it should work, but perhaps it needs a more recent version of GTK to work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I did. The blank window says "Loading..." with "Menu" below. I have all those files.

EDIT I just saw your post edit. I'll try the newer GTK. GTK/#/+/%/-/whatever runtimes are a major problem on Windows, because each software people make that requires them will only work on one specific version of the GTK and I don't even know if it's possible to have like 10-12 versions of the GTK runtimes installed at the same time. This made it a major chore to use TILP and TILEM at the same time (I had to uninstall TILEM's "GTK" runtimes and install the ones compatible with TILP in order to use TILP and I had to do the opposite to run TILEM.

EDIT 2: Still the same problem D: