Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

ninjabyte website lauched

Started by DarkestEx, October 14, 2015, 11:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 19, 2015, 05:44:07 AM
Now to find a way to make CW theme look decent under the Ninjabytes colors in the Microcat subforum... I think that it will just be some small changes involving mostly the green background and bars, though. It also depends if Street prefers that that sub-forum simply uses extra CSS that overrides the default, but I would prefer that he doesn't use any javascript for such thing.
Nah only a minor PHP edit is required (unless smf allows loading a stylesheet for specific subforums).

Dream of Omnimaga

It does, but I'm unsure if an entire style sheet just for a sub-forum is really worth it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Oh you have to use a completely different theme ? Sucks ass.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 19, 2015, 09:00:05 PM
Oh you have to use a completely different theme ? Sucks ass.
Huh, what is going on  ???
I thought we just change some colors?

Also I added some more header images to the site. Feel free to check them out ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the SMF feature for custom board themes involves using a different theme for said sub-forum. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to set the theme to load extra CSS when accessing certain sub-forums in particular, though, and make that CSS override the standard one (via the !important command?)

Also DarkestEx I like the new images. :) Only one problem, though: Image #2 is 781 KB large and #4 is a bit over 600 KB. That could be a problem for people browsing your website using mobile data plan. Perhaps those could be compressed harder or made smaller in size?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Max Leiter

I really like the new images, and also recommend a responsive/mobile design, as the site looks bad on phones.

Still really great work :)

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 20, 2015, 03:50:46 AM
Yeah the SMF feature for custom board themes involves using a different theme for said sub-forum. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to set the theme to load extra CSS when accessing certain sub-forums in particular, though, and make that CSS override the standard one (via the !important command?)
That's what. I'm suggesting in fact.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 20, 2015, 03:50:46 AM

Also DarkestEx I like the new images. :) Only one problem, though: Image #2 is 781 KB large and #4 is a bit over 600 KB. That could be a problem for people browsing your website using mobile data plan. Perhaps those could be compressed harder or made smaller in size?
Yes I think that I should compress them some more. Also I might enable gzip compression for them, but I am not sure about that, though I don't think it matters on a PC with normal internet access. Does it?

Quote from: Max Leiter on October 20, 2015, 03:54:44 AM
I really like the new images, and also recommend a responsive/mobile design, as the site looks bad on phones.

Still really great work :)
I am not sure if a mobile theme really is required as the site is generally nothing you want to view on a mobile device.
Its intended to be used on a PC, as I don't know what one would do with it on a PC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

I like to browse docs and source code with my phone when I'm not home (for my random research) as I don't have a laptop.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus
I like to browse docs and source code with my phone when I'm not home (for my random research) as I don't have a laptop.
Ah I see. Well as we will publish the API documents and the app store on that site, I guess that I will look into making a mobile version of the site.

I think that I will make it either using cookies or by user agent string via php.
This way I could also send different sized images depending on what the user wants.

novenary

Other advantage : Google rankings favor sites with a responsive stylesheet.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 20, 2015, 09:37:40 AM
Other advantage : Google rankings favor sites with a responsive stylesheet.

Alright good to know.
I will certainly do it using PHP now - no JavaScript for sure.
Well its good to have it in a mobile version too regarding that I am always using the WAP2 version of CodeWalrus when I am on the go (I really like the WAP2 version, but it lacks a quote function so i always have to do it using bbcode myself).