Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Lisp on the TI-83+

Started by Hooloowalrus, February 09, 2015, 06:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooloowalrus

Lisp, one of the oldest languages still in use, has been ported to the z80 calcs! I started with 8kLisp, an almost 30 year old (older than me) codebase, and so far I have simple I/O working. The project is open-source, and can be found at https://github.com/fortytwopar/lisp8x
  • Calculators owned: TI-83, TI-83+ purple, TI-83+SE, TI-83+.fr USB, TI-84+ SE, TI-84 pocket.fr, Commodore PR-100, 4xTI-73, a couple TI-82s, TI-XXXXXXXXXXX, [blank] (nspire prototype), Nspire CAS+, Nspire Clickpad non-CAS, Nspire CX, HP Prime (lost in space), HP 50G, TI-92+

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Nice work indeed. I don't know lisp but having ported such a language is a great feat to do. I'd glad to see it having a bigger spotlight and some news about this project!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

岩倉 澪

Wow, that is awesome! I am curious how well this performs, is the garbage collection relatively fast? I'm not a big lisp fan myself, though I did learn scheme and common lisp, watched the old SICP lectures, and went on a lisp binge back in the day (used emacs, stumpwm, etc).

Snektron

I've heard the tales about Lisp...
Good job though :D. Always great when there are more languages available for developers :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Oooh, Lisp on the 83+, that's cool.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I saw that a while ago and this is very interesting. I wonder if Lisp can achieve stuff like graphical games or if it's more like TI-80 BASIC, for example? I am curious about what could be achieved with such language on a calculator, since some people like it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Is Lisp really the best choise for games, though? I mean i wouldn't make my programs in Lisp :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Yuki

Yeah, Lisp is not really made for gaming. It's one of the first programming languages, created back in 1958.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

岩倉 澪

Also notable for a lot of innovations, in many ways it was before its time. I believe it was the first garbage collected language, and its basis on lambda calculus led to a functional flavour that is just now becoming popular in modern languages as the decendents of C have been pulling inspiration from the functional paradigm. Not to mention it is notable for metaprogramming thanks to its use of s-expressions

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok thanks for the info. I was curious since Jonimus at Cemetech seemed very interested in it back in 2007 or so and some other people who also made games were as well. Maybe the old school-ness drew them to it?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Travis

I don't see why there couldn't be a library for graphics/game stuff or whatever, though, right? Whether it would be pleasant to code in would be a matter of opinion, I guess. Personally I wouldn't enjoy counting all the parentheses. :P I find Forth/RPL-like languages fun in a way, though it can be a pain to read old code without comments. I sometimes have to actually mentally execute the code in my head (or with the debugger) to figure out what it does... On the other hand it made for relatively simple parsers and really fast and efficient execution.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g