Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

"Rogue Dungeon" Art

Started by LD Studios, February 25, 2015, 01:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

I like that new one a lot. I agree that the trees shading could be different but I still like the feel for it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

LD Studios

Quote from: Eiyeron on March 01, 2015, 09:01:50 PM
And you say that my tileset is better than yours? I want to use your sets!

Oh and by the way, try adding a better shading to the trees, it could be a good lighthing exercise! ;)
Thanks a lot, yeah I can tell the shading needs a bit of work, lighting/shading is one of my weak points, but fixing it up would definitely be good practice, I'll try that once I get a chance!

Quote from: CKH4 on March 01, 2015, 09:03:46 PM
I like that new one a lot. I agree that the trees shading could be different but I still like the feel for it.
Thanks, actually the only new tiles in that mockup are the lightened bush and the trees, the rest was already in the spritesheet, I just hadn't used them in a mockup yet.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, Shading is one of the hardest part because you're giving volume to your drawing. Hope you'll get to something neat!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

LD Studios

Here's the updated spritesheet by the way, if anyone wants it

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

DO you have a defined palette or do you choose colors on the fly?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you have those characters facing all 4 directions as well?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

LD Studios

Quote from: Eiyeron on March 01, 2015, 09:30:47 PM
DO you have a defined palette or do you choose colors on the fly?
I did when I started, but then I had some contrast issues so I start adding more shades. At some point, I should probably get a list of all the colors I'm currently using and sort of clean up/organize the palette.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2015, 11:14:24 PM
Do you have those characters facing all 4 directions as well?
No, they only face left/right, but for rogue-like style games, I don't think more directions are really necessary, I feel like backwards facing sprites would just look confusing and out of place on the screen.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok, I was wondering in case I wanted to use them in a game other than rogue. A while ago I had an idea for a CSE/HP Prime RPG with 8x8 tiles and with some modifications I feel that your characters would fit well. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U