Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

calc.news - The revival of TI-News and CalcNews

Started by Yuki, June 07, 2016, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriweb

BTW, ndlessly isn't updated anymore, it seems, but I suppose you could read the ndless repo's releases feed instead: https://github.com/ndless-nspire/Ndless/releases.atom

Also... might as well do that for software like:
CEmu: https://github.com/CE-Programming/CEmu/releases.atom
CE toolchain: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases.atom
CE libs: https://github.com/CE-Programming/libraries/releases.atom
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Really? I thought Ndlessly was still the official Ndless blog. But again, was it maintained exclusively by ExtendeD or did anyone else have access? IIRC ExtendeD has left the TI community over 2 years ago because I haven't seen him post anywhere nor idle on IRC for over 2 years.

It would definitively be nice to see it updated again, but given the shrinking size of the TI community, it would probably make more sense if Ndlessly news were posted on another established site, on Ndless.me or a forum topic.

Or Github could work too. Your suggestion about a Github repo feed for major projects is a great idea. Should it be separate from news, such as being in the sidebar, or be combined?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Ha, didn't knew GitHub had ATOM feeds of releases. Can always be useful. For other stuff, like wiki updates or forum posts, I'd use another installation of moonmoon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Isn't it possible to have both in one install? Also I don't think the site should parse new forum posts content, since the goal is to get people to go to forums, but rather topic titles, like our recent posts page.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Yay! Also @Juju should really include Planète-Casio in the mix. It's the most active Casio site. I don't know if it has a RSS feed for news but maybe @Dark Storm could help or make one since he's admin there?

Yuki

Didn't found a suitable one there but if someone from there can help it would be appreciated.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dark Storm

Hi!
Yes, there are RSS feeds on Planète Casio. You can find them on the forum main webpage: http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/index.php
They are not very ergonomic, but it's better than nothing.

By the way, we opened our GitLab instance last month: http://git.planet-casio.com
You can find there some public projects, like the C-Engine by Fife86, or in few weeks Gint, a interruption manager by Lephenixnoir.
The main idea of this GitLab is to regroup and share source code of Casio addins. I hope it will be useful. :)
French young Casio programmer.
If I do some (big) mistakes in english, could you correct me?

Yuki

Ooh, didn't saw it. Thanks!

For software, I'd only put releases of those that are important for calc dev, like the various toolchains, else the list won't finish.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Welp, for some reasons calc.news is 100% empty now. No more feeds. Do you know what happened @Juju ? EDIT: Nevermind, it's back now, but you might need to check to make sure this won't be a chronical problem. Also the site takes a long while to load (over 5-8 seconds)

Quote from: Dark Storm on June 09, 2016, 05:23:34 AM
Hi!
Yes, there are RSS feeds on Planète Casio. You can find them on the forum main webpage: http://www.planet-casio.com/Fr/forums/index.php
They are not very ergonomic, but it's better than nothing.

By the way, we opened our GitLab instance last month: http://git.planet-casio.com
You can find there some public projects, like the C-Engine by Fife86, or in few weeks Gint, a interruption manager by Lephenixnoir.
The main idea of this GitLab is to regroup and share source code of Casio addins. I hope it will be useful. :)
aah nice I didn't pay attention to the sub-forum list. I didn't know they had separate RSS feeds. Juju could definitively use the news one.

Quote from: Juju on June 09, 2016, 05:31:12 AM
Ooh, didn't saw it. Thanks!

For software, I'd only put releases of those that are important for calc dev, like the various toolchains, else the list won't finish.
Ah I see. That should work.

Unicorn

Looks like it's down again... "No news. Good news". :P

Oh yes, and a suggestion to help the language barrier (mostly for us English speakers) could we run posts from all sites trough a translator for both French and English so we can read all posts?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I think something is causing the news script to fail during server hiccups. Maybe someone could help juju fixing it.

And yeah I agree about Google translated news.

Dream of Omnimaga

I have removed this topic from front page news until there are serious attempts at fixing calc.news stability issues. I don't think it's newsworthy unless it's a serious attempt at reviving TI-News/Calcnews @Juju. And yes, the news feed is down again now. Otherwise a big announcement for a site that breaks down every two day and often takes hours to be fixed  will just alienate people and they'll never come back. I'm not trying to diss your work but currently it's not ready to launch.

I'll probably remove the site from the CW affiliates section if its issues are not fixed by June 18th

Yuki

Goddammit, stupid piece of software that doesn't work. By then we'll probably have to complain upstream.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it,s just not properly configured. You need to configure it so that when CodeWalrus or the newsed sites suffer from 0.1 seconds of downtime the news feeds reboots automatically. Or maybe there is an alternative to this software?

Also you should change the default "No news? Good news!" message to say "ERROR: The news feed has crashed. Please contact [email protected] to fix it."