Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Super Indie Karts

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, May 06, 2015, 03:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: CKH4 on May 06, 2015, 06:13:42 PM
It says coming soon now :(. If only I could use my laptop in math class.

Yo 20 dollars. Heck no!

i'm ouuuuuut of this beta. *flies off*
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Unicorn

It was nice knowing you indie kart. Now I don't know you anynore.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

tbh with a 20 dollar budget we could probably make the same thing <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Heck, I'm almost finished with that mode 7 we could do our own on Nspire with blackjack tables and hookers.

matrefeytontias

• Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

He he, I'll probably need some help into getting on with the math problems I do have. I basically need a stupid plane projection of a flat square at (0,0,0), my tricks I used to get a "working" projection doesn't allow me to have a tilt angle, and that could be useful. But it could be totally doable.

Dream of Omnimaga

Didn't Matref make a Mode 7 engine for the TI-Nspire?

And yeah I feel $21.99 might be a bit much for a game that is still in beta, especially when I can get Super Tux Kart for free or SMK on Virtual Console for cheap. On the other hand, according to one post on their forums, apparently the game price will drop down as the beta nears its end to go as low as $10 . It seems like the price is currently that high in order to discourage n00bs and stuff from buying the game and only complain about a broken game and have only people who are willing to support the developers buy it early on to give legit feedback. I'M most likely gonna wait. Apparently the first price used to be $25 for those who supported the project on Kickstarter and it should drop to $15 at the end of May.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

There are two Mode-7 types : the classic projection hack as I did and a full projection one with pitch and yaw angles managed. The second is closer to a 3D engine than you would think and is more complicated and heavy to program.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aaah I didn't know that. In matref's case I think it's a classic Mode 7 engine, although if I recall correctly, it rendered a big picture as opposed to a map, unless it was updated to use maps and I forgot.

As for Super Indie Kart, most reviews say they like the game and stuff, but that for $21.99 it doesn't add enough compared to Mario Kart series to justify purchasing it at that price. So I guess wait until the price starts going down then it will be worth it. It also lacks online multiplayer. Does anyone know if Super Tux Kart has multiplayer?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

The second one is waht's bundled (more or less) into the SNES (if we use some hblank tricks).

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, I thought that the SNES had the first? ???

I really need to check out on Mode 7 at some point to see if it would be hard to code on the HP Prime (and feasible at reasonable speed and resolution). If Mode 7 requires a massive amount of FOR looping, then we can forget about it on the HP Prime. My guess is that the game would have to run at 80x60, 108x80, 160x120 or maybe 80x120 stretched up to full screen if a lower resolution reduces rendering time.

I am really interested, though, because a Walrii-themed racing game with items like in Mario Kart would rule. But I think it might have to use OutRun-style 3D as opposed to mode-7.

Unicorn

Omagersh! So many cool walrii project ideas...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Well there's pc 3d too :)
Also a walrii racing game would be awesome O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Actually, the SNES only has a planar projection circuit. (rotation, scaling, shearing a bit map) WIth screen line based interruptions, one could trick its way and use the circuit each time to have a different projection and thus, perspective projection. I saw this method on a tutorial for GBA programming (which does things this way to allow not only a simple z-based projection but also a pitch/yaw angles to have views like the F-Zero intro where the camera zooms perpendicualry to the map).

THe "first" method is only a simplified version which is limited. This is the way I did for FX-Mode 7 and I want to use the full planar transformation formulaes to allow more liberty/flexibility to the programmer (and to have epic rads versatile effects. Rotoscaling for cheap, anyone?).

Dream of Omnimaga

I would be fine with limitations as long as I can do something that ressembles Super Mario Kart. But I might end up going with the OutRun style 3D (anyone knows what it's called?). Basically it would be like Lotus Turbo Challenge for the 84+ but with Mario Kart piwer ups and walruses.