Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 07, 2015, 05:21:24 AM
Can we now use the numpad to move around? While I find that control scheme weird on calcs, I think it's better on the TI-Nspire because of the way the touchpad works. For example, when I played Mario Kart this morning I noticed that if I press left or right but that my finger is 1 millimeter too low or too high, then it won't even register the keypress so I end up running straight into walls.
Yeah, you can move around the numpad now, just like that GB emulator.
I wish i could implement better dpad support though, kind of like nSDL actually.

As for the PRIZM, the calc max speed is around 110 MHz IIRC and I heard that some people bricked their calcs just from overclocking, so they're best left at their 58 MHz speed. And you might be better off writing a brand new SNES emulator from scratch if you were gonna do it.
Well, i thought i could do at least a Proof-of-Concept. I already started working on input.
Too bad there are no emulators for Prizm, i could have learned from them and i could have done the port quickly.

The HP Prime would handle it, but PocketSNES would basically be an OS until someone bothers making an ASM/C launcher that can also launch the OS (and only the OS if in exam mode).
PocketSNES being an OS may not be a bad idea, if there's a C compiler with some basic libraries available,
that is. I'm sure Lionel could do something like that.

I think you did a great job on PocketSNES so far. Too bad it didn't happen sooner in the Nspire CX life. Hopefully it becomes as popular as the other emulators.
Good luck on your other projects! :)
Thanks,
i partly worked on it because i'll soon take the plane to go to France and i did not want to get bored.  :p

And yeah I assumed that Star Ocean would not work lol. Does Mario RPG work, though? It doesn't even launch on some SNES clone consoles like the RetroDuo.
I have not tried Mario RPG but it should work.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah some Ndless programs have perfect d-pad controls. I am unsure what is the secret, though. On the other hand, sometimes they're too sensitive (eg the Ndless mViewer selection menu)

There is a PRIZM emulator and you can use the trial version from edu.casio.com website but it's not very accurate, from what I remember.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

So i stopped working on PocketSNES for a while and tried to port PicoDrive (a Sega Megadrive/CD emulator) instead to Nspire.
After some confusion about the config files, i got it to work.

It doesn't crash like Genesis Plus GX and it runs much faster than Dgen, it runs most games at 17FPS, no frameskip.
I have yet to switch from SDL to n2DLib and remove sound emulation so it should run even faster than that.
PicoDrive should actually run faster than PocketSNES, interesting.

It's based on version 1.35 so Virtual Racing is not emulated.
That's fine because that game runs at 15FPS on my PSP anyways.

One more thing, autoframeskipping actually breaks the emulator on Ti Nspire...
My guess is that this has to do with the slow RAM on CX, because it sometimes struggle to load
the ROMS and setting the frameskip to AUTO slows down the emulator to a crawl.

Hopefully, switching to n2DLib shouldn't take much longer.

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see you found a different emulator that runs faster :D. Good luck getting it to work completely :)

On a side note you are free to link to your ticalc files in the file downloads archives on CW (or even upload directly, but that is not recommended since it resets the download count) at https://codewalr.us/index.php?board=17.0 . We'll edit the topic title with the tags accordingly. I would link to this topic there but I prefer that the downloads archives have 1 program or game per topic. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

You thought PocketSNES was good ?
Well...
YOU DIDN'T SEE PICODRIVE RUNNING YET !
It runs fullspeed with a frameskip of 2 on a non-overclocked TI Nspire CX.
I actually don't advise to overclock your calc because the speed benefits are small
and not enough for even 266Mhz to run most games with a frameskip of 1.
Its compatible with most Genesis games.

You can download it here

By the way, Malloc on Ti Nspire CX suffers from memory leak.
I need to fix PocketSNES's memory leak and avoid to use malloc...

Anyways, enjoy sanik on your calc fullspeed.

matrefeytontias

I made an issue about malloc a long time ago, I didn't know it wasn't fixed yet. I assume you already have the latest Ndless SDK from GitHub.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

gameblabla

Quote from: matrefeytontias on September 08, 2015, 08:59:57 PM
I made an issue about malloc a long time ago, I didn't know it wasn't fixed yet. I assume you already have the latest Ndless SDK from GitHub.
Didn't know it was a known issue. I'm lazy, could you please link me to that issue ?
And yes, i have the latest Ndless SDK and i have manually upgraded to GCC 5.2.

EDIT: You did not reported about Malloc matrefeytontias, only about realloc.
Might be a good idea to make an issue about it.

matrefeytontias

Oh actually the issue I posted was about realloc. I remember talking about malloc being borked though, but I can't say where or if it has been written somewhere. You're better off just creating a new issue on the repo.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

gameblabla

Quote from: matrefeytontias on September 08, 2015, 09:07:30 PM
Oh actually the issue I posted was about realloc. I remember talking about malloc being borked though, but I can't say where or if it has been written somewhere. You're better off just creating a new issue on the repo.
Reported the issue.
Hopefully it gets fixed because lots of emulators/games are relying on it...
(I know one user that actually suffered from a memory leak.)

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see PicoDrive running at such fast speed. :D There will definitively be a front page article just about the two emulators soon :)

EDIT: Problemo: No ROM loads on my calc. All of them gives me a "Failed to load ROM" error D:

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 09, 2015, 12:39:42 AM
EDIT: Problemo: No ROM loads on my calc. All of them gives me a "Failed to load ROM" error D:
DAMMNNIIIIIT, i hope it's not another issue ala PocketSNES...
I have no idea, your roms may actually not work. Have you tried them ?
Maybe your roms are old and are coming from an oldset ? (GoodRoms instead of No-Intro ?)

Also, try with the latest version here.

EDIT: Would it be possible to pm me one of your roms so i can test them on my calc ?

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, now that I checked, the files I used have .md extensions, which Gens+ REWiND won't even open. Could it be that PicoDrive only supports North American (Sega Genesis) ROMs or at least only North American file extensions? It would be weird, considering the emulator name... (plus on the Gens + REWiND emu just renaming the extension makes the games work, while on PicoDrive it won't fix the issue)

I'm betting that it's the same problem as PocketSNES. By the way, the first two I tried were Ys III and Sonic. I also tried a 2048 homebrew.

gameblabla

If it's an issue similar to PocketSNES then i don't even know where it could be...
Maybe you suffered a memory leak from PocketSNES, try to reset your calc ? (the small button behind)
I had weird issues with PicoDrive, especially when memory leaked. (it can do crazy things like yours and showing a black screen with nothing you can do)
Tell me if the reset worked for you

EDIT: Your roms are bad and don't work because they are coming from an old set. (GoodRoms instead of No-Intro)
I have the same games and they all work on my emulator.
You should re-dump/download them.
Didn't try that 2048 homebrew though...

Dream of Omnimaga

I have zero clue about what GoodRoms and No-Intro means. I guess I'll have to try a different ROM site since every other ROM I tried from the site I use didn't work either. I got the carts but no equipment to dump them.

EDIT: Tried Street of Rage from a different site. Still the same problem. I think every ROM site just mirrors each other's files and they're all bad dumps. The only way to play PicoDrive is to dump ROMs myself it seems, right?

EDIT: Even 2048 won't run. I think your emulator port is definitively broken in the same way as PocketSNES was. Or it's my NAND that is corrupted and I will never be able to play PicoDrive.  Here is the 2048 game btw http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1730

I wonder if Pier Solar will...

gameblabla

I have invesgated a bit and turns that :
- Old dumps will probably don't work
- In the very first build of Picodrive-nspire, it was trying to open in the root directory.

For the second reason, you should try the latest version.
The No-Intro dumps generally have the .md extension and they should work out-of-the-box.

Other than that, i can't say.
SpiroH got it to work on his emulator but then again Vogt got the broken build of PocketSNES to work too on Firebird emu...
Don't know

EDIT: Took a further look and i think i found the issue.
Will test the new version and then i will push it to my github.
I will let you know when this happens.

EDIT2: I FIXED IT !
I will push my changes.

EDIT3: Done, please redownload it again !