Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pokemon Go

Started by aetios, July 11, 2016, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

yeah, the latter. Besides I'm not that addicted anymore, I switched to Ingress :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

So I caught a Ghastly and Caterpie earlier. I also really need to find a way to setup the game to be in English without having to set my phone in English, because the French Pokémon names are annoyingly bad. I also made one of my many Weedle evolve, so now I have one Kakuna as well. I also got a bunch of Pidgey and one Pidgeyotto.

Back in the 90's, the Pokémon anime in Quebec was dubbed in Canadian French, but at least they left the English names intact. I wish they did Pokémon Go so that in French Canadian mode, names remained in English and in French from France, they were translated to French.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So if you check Pricecharting (which tracks down price of video games on Ebay and Amazon over time in United States), you'll notice a significant spike by about $10 for retro Pokémon games. From what I noticed, Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, Leaf green, Gold, Silver, SoulSilver, Heartgold, Crystal, Stadium 1 and the original Pinball game seems to be the most affected, with Stadium 2 and the newer games remaining largely unnafected. That's for a loose cartridge, so prices for sealed or CIB copies might have skyrocketed even more.

Among the newer games, only used copies of Pokémon Art Academy, along with the combo that includes both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire seems to have been affected.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I got an Oddish earlier. :D

Also I finally caved in and changed my phone language to get rid of the France Pokémon names.

EDIT: OMG St-Roch Garden pond is a Pokémon haven. No wonder why so many people are sitting there and why servers are laggy here. And of course the marijuana smell :P

Those last 4 Pokémons were all in the same spot in 5 minutes. The most recent isn't special though, other than being hard to catch.

Edit 20 minutes later

Yuki

I blame the gaming store nearby, they're fans of Pokémon and they put lures all the time there.

Also my mom started playing on her tablet, she bought a data plan just for that and she started going to that place DJ mentioned at night, lol. Ironically, her two sons do not play and are a bit annoyed by that :P

Anyway, there's a PokéStop next to my place, so when she installed the game, she leveled up to a rather high level without ever leaving the place, lol.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I am fairly sure that St-Roch will remain an haven for Pokémons for as long as the game is popular for that reason. I mean, downtown Québec is often frequented by teens and young adults, but also St Roch has several technology/video game companies/studios, as well as gaming-oriented places/people. So inevitably that big garden+pond thing is probably one of the best place to catch your non- :walrii: creatures. :P

Also yeah at home earlier I leveled up 3 times in a few minutes when I used some item to lure pokémons in and made one of them evolve. But my biggest loot was in St Roch Friday lol. It was just crazy (and at least the lag was bearable, unlike two weeks ago).

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

So over the weekend i learned that height and weight (as far as XL/XS goes) can change when you evolve a pokemon.  For example, Friday I caught a Pidgey that was XL in both weight and height.  I evolved it into a Pidgeotto, and all of a sudden it's weight became XS.  Then i evolved it into a Pidgeot and neither the XL or XS appeared.  Kind of a let-down, but at least now I can disregard those two factors and just focus on the pokemon's CP when making my team.

I still have my Dratini and Charmander... not too many "exotic" pokemon in the suburbs (at least in my area), and this summer heat has been dreadful, otherwise i'd be going to places and walking more.

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't know that. Thanks for the head up. Two days ago I was a bit worried that evolving a Pokémon resetted its stats too but it turned out that I did not check the Pokémon order properly at the time.

Also regarding hatching eggs, I run into this problem:  http://kotaku.com/the-uncracked-secrets-of-pokemon-go-egg-hatching-1784339902

EDIT: Lol I just caught 3 Pidgey in 40 seconds

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on July 29, 2016, 10:41:23 PM
Also I finally caved in and changed my phone language to get rid of the France Pokémon names.
Lol, I did the contrary, I had my phone in English and wanted French names :P
Though I only used App Settings instead of changing the language on the whole phone.

Dream of Omnimaga

It's just that I grew up with the English names in the 90's. Same with Dragon Ball mangas. Also I ran out of Pokéballs yesterfay so I had to check every Pokéstop along the road while riding the bus to Quebec. <_<

How did you change only the app language though? I can't find any option in THE GAME, at least not on Android.

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 03, 2016, 06:24:52 PM
It's just that I grew up with the English names in the 90's.
Yeah, same for me. I have no idea what an "Oddish" is, I need French names :P
English doesn't bother me, otherwise I wouldn't have my phone in English.

Dream of Omnimaga

Did you see my question in the previous post by the way? :P

I googled it a week ago and everything said I had to change the entire phone language >.<

I have the same issue on my Playstation 4 with Star Ocean. I don't like the French subs so I had to switch my console to English because there was no option in the game for subs.

Hayleia

No, I can't read it seems :P
I used App Settings, an Xposed module that allows to set entire-phone settings as per-app. Which doesn't make sense but I can tell you it works :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. Does it require rooting my phone?

Hayleia

Rooting I don't know. But it requires Xposed, which is "worse" from my point of view :P