Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Tab for a Cause and other ways to passively make a difference

Started by kegwaan, January 07, 2017, 12:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kegwaan

First I just want to say that I'm sorry for being absent/a lurker for the past however long (for whoever noticed or cared). I ended up taking a long pause from this site and when I came back I never knew what to say in any of the new topics.

Second, this topic. I just wanted to share a few Chrome add-ons that I found that you can add in order to help raise money for charities a)without spending a lot and b)not doing much.

The first and main thing I want to share with you is Tab for a Cause. You can find a lot about it on their website, but basically it is a custom New Tab page that shows a few ads. The revenue from the ads go towards charities. Each tab you open up earn you one Heart, and you can choose to donate hearts any time to one of a few different charities (I think there are currently 8 to select from). When you donate hearts, the revenue from the ads goes to that certain charity. The custom page also allows you to customize it with links to websites, calendars, clocks, etc., and you can also change the background image.
My invite link: (All this does is give me extra hearts to donate, if you choose to get the extension through this link) http://tab.gladly.io/?r=11380653

Next there's Goodblock. Goodblock is a (very good) adblocker, possibly made by the same people who made Tab for a Cause (don't quote me on that). The twist is that once every 24 hours, you can view one high quality (not clickbait or standard crappy ad, more like something you'd see on a billboard in a city) to again earn hearts you can donate to different charities, which is currently the same set of charities as Tab for a Cause. You get 10 hearts for every single ad viewed.
My invite link: (does the same as the other invite link) https://goodblock.gladly.io/?r=24570
One thing to note about Goodblock is that you'll have to disable it for sites like Tab for a Cause or Ecosia (mentioned next), as those websites use ads to earn the money to donate.

I only have one more thing, unfortunately. I wish I had more things than three, but you can add more in the topic thread if you wish. The last one I have is Ecosia. Ecosia is a search engine that shows a few ads at the top of the page to earn money that is used to plant a tree. With the amount of users Ecosia has, a tree is planted about every thirty seconds. Like most search engines that aren't Google, it's not the best. To make up for that, it can use results powered by Google, if you so choose.

Like I said, I wish I had more than three. The descriptions I gave are also probably less than adequate, but hopefully you get the idea (and you'll be able to check the websites for more info, anyways). I hope that these are some things you guys decide to start to use.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

p2

You forgot to mention Ecosia.org servers run 100% on renewable energy :) (At least iirc, or did that change?)
But I like the idea of viewing ads for a good cause like children charity stuff.  :love:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

I like this. I also like trees, so I'll be searching sometimes with Ecosia from now on.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

p2

$304,388.04 raised for charity so far  O.O
I never thought this would be so big  :ninja:
Now doing it, too ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)