Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sonic the Hedgehog for the Atari 2600

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 21, 2016, 06:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't thought this would happen, due to lack of updates in recent years, but it seems that in October, Zippy the Porcupine, which is an Atari 2600 demake of Sonic the Hedgehog, has finally been released in cartridge form!

Made in Batari Basic, this Sonic clone features 16 stages, music and items from the original game, in their new Atari 2600 glory. While the sale of such game falls under a very grey area regarding copyrights (this author's Mario clone called Princess Rescue was removed from sale after a cease & desist letter from Nintendo), this is the closest thing you can get to a real Sonic cartridge playing on a real Atari 2600 console and the result looks pretty darn cool, considering the console's limitations (128 bytes of RAM, which is 18 times lower than the TI-81).

Unfortunately, no ROM of the final version is available yet, but according to his topic, the author will release one in the near future, like he did with Princess Rescue. For now, an early version is available and there are several Youtube videos. Or you can of course buy it in cartridge form for the time being, for play on a real Atari VCS console.

Purchase link
Demo binary download
Original news post
Official topic
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, that's pretty impressive for a 2600 game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dudeman313

Cool! But I still wish there were some good :sonic: games for the TI-83+/TI-84+(SE)/(CE) series calculators.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

There were such projects in the past, but the problem is that they never got completed. The main issue was often speed. Sonic is a game that requires to be very fast.
Quote from: Juju on January 21, 2016, 07:00:55 AM
Well, that's pretty impressive for a 2600 game.
Indeed, especially considering it was made with Batari Basic. I should look into Batari Basic at one point to see what can be made, although I would rather make something on a more powerful console since I tend to be more into RPGs.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U