Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What OS do you use?? (poll)

Started by kotu, April 05, 2017, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So.... what OS do you use??

Windows 10
Windows 8
Windows 7
Windows XP, Vista or older
Linux
Mac OS
Other

Dream of Omnimaga

Would it run well on a first gen i7 PC with 8 GB of RAM?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Switchblade

RemixOS would work best if you booted it from a usb stick on the computer.  I don't know that much about it, but I have found over time that OSs always run slower in virtual box.

gameblabla

QuoteRemixOS would work best if you booted it from a usb stick on the compute
I can confirm. In fact, i would recommend you install it on a partition.
I was never able to run any virtualisation solutions at decent speed.
The only one that worked, QEMU, has slow graphics and Android-x86/RemixOS still do not support Virgil3D.
Anbox requires systemd and it's still is a proof-of-concept.

Android-x86 when installed on a real PC, is really smooth.
Even using the Intel integrated graphics, it will mostly likely run over a lot of phones in terms of power.
AMD GPUs work best with Android-x86 as the Mesa drivers are supported.

Quote from: xlibman on June 07, 2017, 01:43:30 PM
Would it run well on a first gen i7 PC with 8 GB of RAM?
Absolutely, but not through a VM.

• Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

I guess it's because VMs emulates a c-tier graphics card, isn't it? I know you can boost the VRAM in VirtualBox and tick things like 2D acceleration on, have you tried that? I think the VRAM is 16 MB by default, no way Android would work with that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

gameblabla

Quote from: Juju on June 08, 2017, 06:27:53 AM
I guess it's because VMs emulates a s***-tier graphics card, isn't it?
Yup, and Android-x86/RemixOS do not support Virgil3D so 3D host gpu so you're stuck with crappy graphics.

QuoteI know you can boost the VRAM in VirtualBox and tick things like 2D acceleration on, have you tried that? I think the VRAM is 16 MB by default, no way Android would work with that.
Well, i could not get it to work properly (not with Virtualbox anway). When it did, it was very slow, even with 3D acceleration and increased VRAM.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Unicorn

I know remix runs really well on a partition, but was wondering if a vm is the right way to go. (vms are to slow in my experience.) Just that sswitching from windows to remix is annoying.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

By experience, most Androids based on Android-x86 don't even need a folder. IIRC you just dump the folder in the root of your Windows partition, then you make the necessary changes in your bootloader.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here