Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zampy's Quest [Walrii Contest][HP Prime][HP PPL]

Started by alexgt, December 09, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

ah sorry to hear. I find it weird that in USA you have exams at the very start of school year instead of at the end, though >.<

Is there a way to play past level 1 by changing the code or something? I checked the code and couldn't figure how D:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Well we have two exams one in the middle of the year and one at the end

And to change the level you have to go to a subroutine named RunMainMenu() which is below DrawMainMenu() which is below ExitGame() which is right under the main function START() so it isn't that far down :P

then you will look for a line that looks like this:

AFiles("LEVEL.1-1")->M1;

You can change it to any of the following preset levels:
- LEVEL.LSelect
- TestLevel
- Level1-1
- LEVEL.1-1
- MenuWorld

You can also make levels on your own they just have to make a matrix that is at least 20x15

the block IDs are:
Grass - 1
Dirt - 2
Brick - 3
Flowers - 4-6
Door Base - 7
Door Top - 8

Just put those in the matrix and use this in the home screen and it will create the level in the App

M1->AFiles("Whatever you want to name your level")

M1 is just what I usually use for making levels but you can use anything you want, be careful because when you run Zampy's Quest it sets M1 ot 1x1 erasing it.

Make sure that everything you put in AFiles() is surrounded by quotes ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok thanks for the tips. I hope you eventually add new levels and continue working on the game in the future. The engine seems promising so far despite some glitches (eg we can't fall between two blocks)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Ah, I was wondering about the levels. Yeah, it would be nice if you could create more levels, as well as implement a gui to select them. ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, do you plan to use the up arrow to enter doors? That seems like it would be a better choice since that's what many old platformers like Mario used.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 21, 2016, 08:58:14 AM
By the way, do you plan to use the up arrow to enter doors? That seems like it would be a better choice since that's what many old platformers like Mario used.
Yep, on the calc you will use the up arrow, and on the PC it will be down (since the up arrow is used for jump).

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 20, 2016, 08:59:03 PM
Ok thanks for the tips. I hope you eventually add new levels and continue working on the game in the future. The engine seems promising so far despite some glitches (eg we can't fall between two blocks)
Yeah, that glitch i am working on and the engine might slow down once I add enemies. But don't worry I will keep working on it ;)

Quote from: Unicorn on January 21, 2016, 07:04:14 AM
Ah, I was wondering about the levels. Yeah, it would be nice if you could create more levels, as well as implement a gui to select them. ;)
The GUI to select them is a level in itself, LEVEL.LSelect is a level that has doors from world 1,2, and 3

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right. Also I wonder if you would be able to make it so that at the game start, it detects if you are on a PC or calculator by calculating the time it takes to execute a FOR A FROM 0 TO 999999 DO or something like that (eg if it takes longer then it detects the platform as a real calculator)? There could be an in-game option where you choose Calc, PC or Auto and the default would be Auto (the options being in case your computer is 15 years old and is detected as a calculator).

Also another idea I had since the levels are relatively short would be to instead make the game exploration-based, so that you need to get keys or items in specific levels to unlock other doors. Each level would basically be an area linked by doors and each level would basically be multiple areas. There could be a grass area, a cavern and a dungeon. It would be closer to an adventure game.

alexgt

Yeah, I might do a adventure themed avenue but I want to see how much enemies slow down the game first. Multiple rooms to a level might be a problem since I never designed the game to handle that <_<