Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zampy's Quest [Walrii Contest][HP Prime][HP PPL]

Started by alexgt, December 09, 2015, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Update!!
- Added dynamic map drawing/ collision
- Sped up the game at least 2X!
- Made jumping smoother
- Added animation to Zampy
- Squashed many minor bugs ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Awesome! Can we get a screenshot?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I agree that a screenshot would be nice. :) I am curious about what you have so far. What do you mean by dynamic map drawing by the way? Do you mean auto-tiles like in RPG Maker?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I mean for dynamic map drawing is that it creates the GROB the correct size and only uses the correct amount of tiles on either directoin when I draw it. for ex: if I have a 100x15 map it would load a 1600x240 GROB, anyways it is a lot more efficient than what I had before xD

Here is the screenshot , the visual glitch in the back of Zampy is just the way I had the walriis on the sprite sheet but I can fix that by fixing the image ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqiESkRL8v8
A rating is much appreciated :P

novenary

Looks good, but what is that bar behind him when he faces left ? :P

alexgt

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 03, 2016, 11:49:25 AM
Looks good, but what is that bar behind him when he faces left ? :P
Quote from: alexgt on January 03, 2016, 03:39:22 AM
Here is the screenshot , the visual glitch in the back of Zampy is just the way I had the walriis on the sprite sheet but I can fix that by fixing the image ;)
(I have the first walrii starting at {0,0} and the next at {23,0 so since I didn't give it it's full space part of the other walrii appears when I display the GROB. It happens in the other direction also but it just displays 1 pixel that is out of whack :P) I can fix it today though ;)

novenary

Ah ok lol, I'd guessed that it was something that simple. :P

alexgt

Yeah, but now I am working on enemies

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that looks cool so far :D. You should make the background so it uses a gradient drawn in another GROB (either 1x240 stretched up or 320x240) and instead of drawing the blue background you use the gradient. I think stretching it would slow the game down, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

So I don't slow the game down I just draw the whole level before play so it will be much faster. I already have a gradient background but it just wasn't loaded when I recorded the background and it is pseudo random ;).

I am on the verge of fixing a very large bug <_<

Dream of Omnimaga

Drawing the whole level before play causes serious RAM problems, though >.< (remember how much trouble I had running MinePrime?) How big are each map?

Something you could do to reduce risks of RAM running out is to make the map so it uses 8x8 tiles, but when time comes to display it on the LCD, zoom it up to 2x size. I notice your graphics don't have much details, so using 8x8 tiles instead of 16x16 and a zoomed up map, while keeping Walrii and the rest 320x240 wouldn't make graphics suffer that much.

In any case, I can't wait to try it :)

Also what is the bug?

alexgt

Well the level is only 100 blocks long and 15 tall so 100*16 and 15*16 isn't that bad compared to MinePrime, but when exiting Zampy's Quest you always need to use the builtin exit with Esc because that seets all the grobs to 0x0 :P

THe bug was a teleportation bug and it caused you to stick to walls but that is solved ;)

I hope I have time to make the enemies and AI :P (and level design xD)

Dream of Omnimaga

I should really implement that in future games. And good luck with AI (focus on levels first, though)

alexgt

but levels will be soo boring with out enemies <_<

And instead of having a whole story in the game I think I will put it in the readme to save time, I still plan to work on it after the contest though because it is the first platformer besides SWL ;) (so it will be finished eventually just like MinePrime :P)

Dream of Omnimaga

I know, but I was saying in case you run out of time. Of course you could have some test levels for the contest, though, and then work on a better level and send a second more polished version in case in the end you get extra time.