Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CWick Contest #3: Hello World

Started by Yuki, October 27, 2015, 05:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Aaaand I guess it's time for another instance of our fortnightly contest! This time... make a Hello World program. Yeah, sound boring, it's pretty much the first thing you do when you learn a new programming language, but this time you must include a twist: make it as interesting and creative as possible. Not just the simple, print "Hello World!" and exit, but turn it up to 11. We want highly advanced graphics and CPU utilization to the max, maybe even explosions and John Cena's theme blaring through the link port, well maybe not, but it should print "Hello World!" by any means and be creatively interesting. And while we're at it, why not using a programming language or a library you're not familiar with? As I said, it should be pretty much one of the first programs you write in a new programming language.

The rules are the same as usual, the project should be started after I posted this, no sharing before the contest ends next Monday at 11:59pm Eastern Time, send your submission to me by PM or by email at [email protected], I'll judge the entries next week, etc. Have fun!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

Now theres a good contesf idea :P
Though i never use hello world. Its always "Test" or similar for me :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

Computer or calculator? Which platforms do _you_ offer? :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 27, 2015, 04:41:48 PM
Are there any size constraints?
Not this time.

Quote from: p4nix on October 27, 2015, 05:22:07 PM
Computer or calculator? Which platforms do _you_ offer? :P
I can mostly run everything a computer can run, and for calculators, I have my 83+ emu and my LEGO Mindstorms EV3 brick (my Prizm is pretty far in my boxes), otherwise I guess you can ask before.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Ivoah

• Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

brentmaas

Is Windows with a 1080p monitor possible?
Lel I glitched Omni

Yuki

Quote from: brentmaas on October 27, 2015, 06:41:34 PM
Is Windows with a 1080p monitor possible?
Just found my laptop with Windows on it, so yes. Bonus if it works in Wine.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Unicorn

hmm... I can make some psychedelic things on the cse.... :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

It probably depends if the CSE is allowed, but if it does then just make sure to not flash the entire screen between teal and red like Pokémon Episode 38 >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

If you want to help DJ it would be allowed. Otherwise you could probably send a video.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I could always test it, although I would need a longer judging period since I am not always available at the same times every week.

semiprocoder

Can the date be set back by any chance cause I don't hae a lot of time right now to do anything, and I don't have many ideas(well I have one but I am not sure I will be able to accomplish it). I have 3 days off of school next week, and I would most likely be able to make something in that time(btw is Nspire allowed?), unless, of course, I don't succeed in my current idea and can't come up with another one.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't know if @Juju had plans for that but it might be a good idea if most people have exams. Maybe have the contests last 10 days and the judging last during the last 4 days.

How many entries so far, by the way?

brentmaas

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 31, 2015, 04:52:52 AMHow many entries so far, by the way?
I'm almost done, I'll probably send it in somewhere tomorrow.

EDIT: right now*

EDIT 2: sent
Lel I glitched Omni