Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Welcome to the future

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, October 21, 2015, 05:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

-Chicago Cubs have finally made the playoffs again, something that no one thought that would ever happen again in the last 30 years.

-There is now a baseball team in Florida and it recently renamed itself to Miami Marlins.

-We now have Skype/Hangouts video conferencing

-We now have flat-panel TVs mounted on walls.

-We now have the Kinect.

-We now have Google Glass

-We now have tablets

-3D movies and sequels are now mainstream

-Drones are becoming more and more commons

-Many downtown districts that became run down hoods in the 70-80's are now revived and growing again. And in St-Roch district we even a retro arcade!

-We got a few robots, although most seems to be in Japan

-And we even have hoverboards, although very rare and most only works on conductive surfaces like metal.

Welcome to the future of 2015. October 21st 2015 is the date in which Marty McFly and Doc Brown traveled from 1985 to the future. However, it was an alternate future in which flying cars, self-lacing shoes, self-drying vests and the aforementioned hoverboards were mainstream. Also no, the Cubs didn't win the World series. Oh and as far as I know, fax machines and laserdiscs were last commonly used decades ago. :P

Anyway, I was wondering, since most of you guys were born several years after it was released: Have you watched Back to the Future trilogy? Because if you didn't, then it's a must, since it's a classic, and now that the real 2015 has arrived it's fun to look back at their 1989 depiction of 2015. :)

Also the first movie celebrated its 30th anniversary some time this year.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

annoyingcalc

And we stay up late at 1am rewatching old movies called Back to The Future on our tablets when we have school/work the next day.

Dream of Omnimaga

I would have done so, but I had a news to write and I already watched them twice a few months ago anyway. I'll probably watch them again soon, though. They played all three at the Quebec City movie festival last Summer.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

I've watched the first movie on Sunday, and now I am looking forward to watch the second this evening :)
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

novenary

I've only seen the first movie, gotta watch the other 2. Anyway yes, the future is cool.

Dream of Omnimaga

The best is the first by far. I don't know why, but it always seemed to be the one I watched the most overall. But the other two are a must too.

DarkestEx

Yes I have watched and enjoyed the first two parts. :)
I was actually aware of that day and kept track of time until the future officially began here in Germany too ;)

So welcome to the future!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 21, 2015, 03:33:20 PM
The best is the first by far. I don't know why, but it always seemed to be the one I watched the most overall. But the other two are a must too.
I've head that the third movie sucked for some reason. I still plan on watching it but yeah.

p4nix

Does someone know, what timezone the display actually uses? Because as a scientist like Doc Brown I'd actually prefer UTC.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

novenary

It's more likely to be the local time zone since it's only a time machine, not a spatial travel machine.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 21, 2015, 03:50:07 PM
I've head that the third movie sucked for some reason. I still plan on watching it but yeah.
It's actually good but not as much. I think it is because it's different. For example it's a western movie rather than your conventional action movie and it seemed more rushed overall.

Araidia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 21, 2015, 05:05:37 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on October 21, 2015, 03:50:07 PM
It's actually good but not as much. I think it is because it's different. For example it's a western movie rather than your conventional action movie and it seemed more rushed overall.
The first one was the best by far.
The second one was great, I loved the time travel shenanigans.
The third one was fun, but it didn't have the same impact as the first two.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

novenary

Well to be fair the person that told me that is Sifodias and I know him well for being a h8r. :P

Yuki

There was a film festival in my town about a month ago, they installed a big screen in a popular public place in the town and they put the 3 movies there in 3 consecutive nights, that was pretty fun. The host put some Marty clothes on and a fan even brought his 1:1 replica of the DeLorean as shown in the movies. Well, that was pretty fun.

Of course the movies were pretty good, they're classics now, I liked how the second one went back to the first one, but yeah the third one didn't got the same impact, probably because it didn't went back to the other movies.

EDIT: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/tc/2015/55494r-eng.php
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

calcplays

I have seen all three multiple times, and the first is the best entry in the series. I think it is worth watching the entire trilogy, though.
Did you know that the original plan for Part II was for Biff to go back to the 1960s, when he actually would have been old enough to gamble?