Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CWick Contest #2: 1-bit music [Houston Tracker 2][1-bit][chiptune]

Started by Yuki, October 10, 2015, 05:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Thank you! By the way, I remind you, the deadline is Friday 23:59 EST.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Yuki

Well... The contest is done now, right? Now to the judging!

The contestants are @garvalf and... yeah, congratulations, you won by default. That's kind of a boring way to win, but your song was quite good, so I think you still deserved it. I'll put it online in the contest folder later today for those who wish to listen to it.

See ya for a future contest!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Aw sorry to hear that there weren't many entries, but I guess that school might have been an issue since many people seems busy. Perhaps that contest idea could be brought back at one point and with other calculator music softwares? Also I can't wait to listen to the entry.

ALso perhaps it might have been better to wait at the end of the month for this contest or make it a week longer to give people enough time to familiarize themselves with HT2?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

Ah!
It's a pity I was alone on this, but anyway I had a great deal of fun to compose it.
I'll put the song on SoundCloud soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

garvalf

ok it's done now:

https://soundcloud.com/garvalf/archeocat-versus-cybercat

I'll post later the TI binary on my website.

it's true the deadline was quite close to the announcement. I had some advance in learning it because I was lucky to be one of the HT2 beta testers ;)
Well, maybe there could be a new 1-bit music contest in the future?
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...

aetios

I wasn't even aware of this. How about a notice on the frontpage with a mention of the current running CWick Contest?
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

THe issue is that they often were launched just minutes before news articles were posted, so finding a slot for those news without harming other news was extremely hard. We could do them anyway, but there are always risks of said news getting bumped down by another news less than minutes later.

We could also edit the welcome message to mention the contests, though.

Also awesome song @garvalf :D , I wonder which drum did you use?

utz

Pity about the low turnout. I actually abstained on purpose because it felt kind of strange to participate in a contest using my own tool. But no doubt the "winning" track is excellent, so congrats @garvalf :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

novenary

Wow indeed, it sounds fantastic. Great job. Again I'm really impressed by HT2, props to you utz. :)

garvalf

thanks.

QuoteI wonder which drum did you use?

I used the default one indeed, just 1 + 2 + 7 or 8. I haven't tried the other modes yet.

I've used some equaliser but not too much. The original sound directly plugged into my netbook's input was quite harsh (it was a bit different from my earphones)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. I myself use the default drums 1 and 2.