Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Am I the only one? (sound frequency hearing levels)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 06, 2016, 08:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Try to lower your volume in case this is not good for your ears, but basically this is a video with an audio file that goes from 20 Hz frequency up to the maximum that can be heard by most humans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k

Anyway, for me, starting at 5400 Hz, the volume seems to decrease in every 20 to 20000 KHz video/sound files I listened to, then around 5700 KHz it starts increasing again

I wonder if it might be my headphones, if it happens to others or if I have some hearing loss happening? O.O I know that older people hear higher frequencies less sometimes, but I thought this was weird that there are mid-range frequencies I hear less in particular
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

didnt happen to me, but I'm only able to hear it until 18kHz my ears!! :'(
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Travis

I'm getting some pretty weird results. With my cheap desktop speakers there are odd stereo-panning-like effects even though there is no panning in the audio. This could be because the speakers are awkwardly placed behind my monitors, and the monitors and other crap are in a weird asymmetrical configuration (limited desk space/crappy desk/really bad eyesight that forces me to use monitors at unconventionally close distances). Maybe that results in some weird acoustics.

On my headphones, I get less of this, but still an apparent "pan" around 1800Hz, for instance, and I have some weird, very sharp dips around 4100 Hz and 6900 Hz (which don't seem to happen with the speakers). Also, I can apparently hear from about 30 Hz up to only 14.5 KHz (where it drops off sharply and I don't hear much else other than some faint aliasing noise at times), but I feel I remember being able to hear a bit higher than that not too long ago.

Now, I did have a flu or something early November, and I had a lot of fluid in my ears for a long time, and technically I'm still not quite completely over all the effects nearly a month later (I feel pretty much fine but am still coughing some), so I figure this could be having an effect, too. Maybe I'll have to wait another month or so and see if things are any different then.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

p2

tried it with apple headphones had no such weird experiences. Only the fact I couldnt hear super high stuff...
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Dream of Omnimaga

@Travis have you tried putting one of your ear next to each speaker while blocking your other ear to see if it makes any difference? Try with each ear. If you see a difference then maybe your hearing abilities became slightly different from ear to ear?

In my case I used to be able to hear very high pitched sounds slightly when at max volume, such as this in 2009 https://www.omnimaga.org/humor-and-jokes/if-your-over-18-you-wont-hear-anything/ , but I just listened to that MP3 clip Eeems posted in that thread and nowadays it's no longer the case. On http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/ , 14 KHz is the max I am able to hear. That said, headphone quality might come into play there, but I could be wrong. I am using $25 headphones right now (from back when the only expensive headphones being sold in Canada were EB Game exclusive's Turtle Beach)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

I don't hear anything after 18khz.
I'm glad to hear (see what i did there lol) that unlike my vision, i don't seem to suffer from hear loss.
Probably because i don't listen to music that much (and when i do, i never increase over 75%) and i never went to parties.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

p2

trolling plans for next year:
create fake scientifical news website talking about serious ear problems among teenagers, linking to youtube vid.
edit the youtube vid so the volume goes down after 15kHz and its only silence after 16kHz
Sell ebook on "how to fix my hear loss"
:trollface:

Dream of Omnimaga

I bet the many concerts I attended around 2012-15 as well as the pubs I went to did it for me, but again I am 30 years old and they say most people above 18 won't hear the sound in Eeems topic on Omni.

One serious issue I had since I am teen, though, is how I can't hear what people are saying if there is a lot of noise around

novenary

I'm not sure if it's my speakers (can't crank it very loud either cause my mom complains :P), but I can only hear up to around 16khz.
I only hear a gap in volume around low frequencies (60-100hz), I suppose it's due to the transition band between my subwoofer and my speakers, which is weird considering I have the cutoff frequency maxed out on the sub.

Dream of Omnimaga

That's weird. In any case, I hope that me not hearing high mid-range frequencies did not cause my created music to have all sort of weird crap going on in the 5.5K-6K range that only others can hear... O.O

p2

probably satanic massages if you play the songs backwards? ;)

nah ur songs were aresome (except the 10k beats per second stuff...) ^^

@Streetwalrus have you tried with different headphones, too?
I still cant hear any changes in volume. it only goes down for me at 18kHz as I cant hear anything past that point...

Yuki

I get my hearing loss at around 13 kHz. Did that test before, it's getting lower and lower for me...
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

p2

uuh okey, that sounds bad... :(

maybe we should turn this topic into a poll "how much can you hear" or something like that, I wonder mine (18kHz) is the average... ^^

novenary

Quote from: p2 on December 06, 2016, 09:29:20 PM
@Streetwalrus have you tried with different headphones, too?
I'm using my stereo, and my speakers are quite good.

Travis

Just for the record, the way I listened to the test video was by setting the volume to the maximum that the loudest-sounding frequencies were still comfortable to hear, then left it there. I didn't crank it up further to try to hear the high frequencies better. Under these conditions, my hearing range is apparently 30 Hz to around 14–15 KHz right now.

I listen to music on headphones frequently, but usually no more than a couple of hours or so at a time. I prefer decent or maybe even rather high volume but try not to go overboard. But I have no idea what sound level it would equate to. Other than that, I'm not normally exposed to loud noises.

It's known that people inevitably lose the ability to hear high sounds as they age, though frequent exposure to loud sounds without protection accelerates the process.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 06, 2016, 07:38:17 PM
@Travis have you tried putting one of your ear next to each speaker while blocking your other ear to see if it makes any difference? Try with each ear. If you see a difference then maybe your hearing abilities became slightly different from ear to ear?

That makes sense. Maybe I'll try it with the headphones on and playing sound out of just the left side, then the right side, and see. I seem to remember listening to some demonstrations of some interesting auditory illusions once that involved left vs. right ear sounds but can't remember what it was now.

QuoteIn my case I used to be able to hear very high pitched sounds slightly when at max volume, such as this in 2009 https://www.omnimaga.org/humor-and-jokes/if-your-over-18-you-wont-hear-anything/ , but I just listened to that MP3 clip Eeems posted in that thread and nowadays it's no longer the case. On http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/ , 14 KHz is the max I am able to hear. That said, headphone quality might come into play there, but I could be wrong. I am using $25 headphones right now (from back when the only expensive headphones being sold in Canada were EB Game exclusive's Turtle Beach)

My headphones are a Seinnheiser model and were much over $25 (I don't remember the exact cost but it was over $100; I bought them several years ago), and I consider them very good quality. But it could be that another pair of headphones would give me another result. Unfortunately, I don't have another pair handy to test at the moment.

It could be that my onboard motherboard sound is crap quality, too. Who knows. (I will say that there's more noise and interference in the analog output than should be considered acceptable.)

I would certainly expect the quality of the speakers, headphones, and other equipment to play a big factor, so this stuff is tricky. At the very least, don't use something like a cheap $5 microcassette voice recorder and speaker to judge your hearing abilities or you might think you can't hear anything over 4000 Hz or so. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g