Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Best (SciFi) books?

Started by p2, October 11, 2016, 08:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p2

I'm a huge fan of ScienceFiction, but only the older books as the new ones really suck. (ok, human-eating nude killer aliens with 7 boobs are cool but I prefer good stories)
So I just recently bought E.E.Smith's "Weltraumzirkus d'Alembert" (Space circus d'Alembert). Got all 10 books (used) for only 50€. In my mind it's one of the best SciFi stories ever  :thumbsup:
But I'm interested. What SciFi books do you guys read? :) Anything you can recommend? :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

Been a while I've read a good book, and I'm more a fan of fantasy anyway, but I can't wait after "Dans une Galaxie prés de chez vous" (In a galaxy near you), a sci-fi/comedy comic book by Claude Legault, Pierre-Yves Bernard and Julien Paré-Sorel slated for release in 2017 based on the hugely popular TV series and movies of the same name. It's in French of course, but it's gonna be good :3

Speaking of which, the publisher also got the translation rights to the Back to the Future comics. Also gonna be interesting.

But for actual novels, I can recommend you a ton of fantasy, but for sci-fi, yeah, probably the Isaac Asimov books.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't really read books anymore, but when I did, I owned various sci-fi books at one point, some of which I didn't enjoy as much due to being too serious and I forgot their titles. However, my favorite would be Titralak: Cadet de l'Espace, which came out in Quebec exclusively. Noteworthy about that book is that the story occurs in 1969 or 70 and mentions that Pierre-Laporte bridge is still under construction.

I still have it somewhere I think. I also have Enders' Game, which took me over 12 years to find in pawn shops and used book stores, because most stores that sold brand new books here didn't sell any English-language book.

My copy looks similar, but is in terrible condition.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

@Juju: hmm that does really sound interesting ^^
For fantasy I can also recommend Eragon (of cause) - read it 6 times I think xD
But I can also really recomend Alfred Bekker's books on the Elbes (on German, sorry).
Die Könige der Elben, Das Reich der Elben, Der Krieg der Elben
They're the story of what happened to those elbes that left in the boats (in Lord of the rings).

For me it's SciFi and Fantasy but also investigative journalism as well as politics related books ^^

Btw is there ANYONE who doesn't think the Eragon movie was worse than twilight and GhostBusters combined while the books were really awesome? ;D

Of cause Isaac Asimov is someone you HAVE TO know when loving SciFi ;D But you should also try out E. E. Smith - he wrote a lot of really amazing books (but not as much as Asimov)

@DJ Omnimaga: SO you noticed, too, that most newer SciFi books are either super serious or more like c//horror? If you didnt like that you should definitely check out some older books :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

Yuki

Yeah, newer sci-fi tends to be apocalyptic, especially when it comes to movies, although Futurama is a good exception to this.

Oh, also, The Time Machine by H. G. Wells. Pretty good story, it's pretty much the first book that introduced time machines back in 1895.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Lets see.... to start of...
Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov.

It's mostly about space politics spanning centuries and decay and rebirth of civilization - very interesting.
Definitely a classic scifi book.

p2

aaah, the foundation, nice choice ;D Got to read that, too xD Heard so much about it but actually never read it as I kept fogetign I wanted to over and over again >.<
Should probably provite some photos, too... <_<
Edit: The pic:

im sorry for dat quality... holding up the laptop with one hand to make a photo is pretty hard xD

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on October 11, 2016, 04:52:36 PM
@Juju: hmm that does really sound interesting ^^
For fantasy I can also recommend Eragon (of cause) - read it 6 times I think xD
But I can also really recomend Alfred Bekker's books on the Elbes (on German, sorry).
Die Könige der Elben, Das Reich der Elben, Der Krieg der Elben
They're the story of what happened to those elbes that left in the boats (in Lord of the rings).

For me it's SciFi and Fantasy but also investigative journalism as well as politics related books ^^

Btw is there ANYONE who doesn't think the Eragon movie was worse than twilight and GhostBusters combined while the books were really awesome? ;D

Of cause Isaac Asimov is someone you HAVE TO know when loving SciFi ;D But you should also try out E. E. Smith - he wrote a lot of really amazing books (but not as much as Asimov)

@DJ Omnimaga: SO you noticed, too, that most newer SciFi books are either super serious or more like c//horror? If you didnt like that you should definitely check out some older books :)
Some older books are also very serious. Also some are apocalyptic too or at least set after a long war vs aliens.

Also juju yeah I should try to find that book or the story. I liked the 2002 movie based on it but many people hate it. I also liked the 1960 movie.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

WholeWheatBagels

I can recommend the Ender's Game series (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind). Those were good although after E.G. the series took a turn toward more philosophical concepts.

Karl Schroeder's Lockstep was also a good read, may be a bit soft tho.

And of course Clarke's Space Odyssey books (2001, 2010, 2100, 3001) Those were great.

Not so much Sci-fi but if you have any interest in 80s culture and/or video games Ready Player One by Earnest Cline was great.
(Lots of 80s references though. Even my dad didn't recognize all of them.)
Living in another world to you.

Also in case you were wondering Frankie did go to Hollywood

princetonlion.tibd

I remember reading the Space Odyssey books but I got confused after 2010 :P

Does 1984 count as sorta sci-fi? There's a pretty big tech aspect in it, unless I misinterpreted the meaning of sci-fi (probably did)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire

Unicorn

Yeah, I really recommend Enders Game as well; Orson scott card also has some other interesting boots you might want to look into as well.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p2

Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on October 12, 2016, 03:04:55 AMDoes 1984 count as sorta sci-fi? There's a pretty big tech aspect in it, unless I misinterpreted the meaning of sci-fi (probably did)
At some point in history even toilet paper was considered futuristic ^^ And in my mind SciFi is about futuristic technologie stuff xD
I actually prefered Animal Farm (was more fun to read than 1984) ^^

As for Enders Game I only watched the movie. I liked the concept of the story ^^ But idk maybe the book was even better than the movie? Can anyone tell? ^^

I also liked 2367 - Experiment Hex which was pretty interesting to read as it was about muated humans that have a symbiotic connection to computers but that are haunted by the govs ^^

Unicorn

The movie was pretty good, but the book is great, I highly recommending reading no matter what.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

p2

Thx I'm putting it on my "ooks I got to read" list... right after the 10 books that arrived a few days ago xD

princetonlion.tibd

Quote from: p2 on October 12, 2016, 07:32:35 AM
Quote from: princetonlion.tibd on October 12, 2016, 03:04:55 AMDoes 1984 count as sorta sci-fi? There's a pretty big tech aspect in it, unless I misinterpreted the meaning of sci-fi (probably did)
At some point in history even toilet paper was considered futuristic ^^ And in my mind SciFi is about futuristic technologie stuff xD
I actually prefered Animal Farm (was more fun to read than 1984) ^^

As for Enders Game I only watched the movie. I liked the concept of the story ^^ But idk maybe the book was even better than the movie? Can anyone tell? ^^

I also liked 2367 - Experiment Hex which was pretty interesting to read as it was about muated humans that have a symbiotic connection to computers but that are haunted by the govs ^^
I haven't read Animal Farm yet, which is strange considering I love to study 20th century history :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire