Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Youtube ad-friendly content policies resulting into censorship?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 05, 2016, 03:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So a few days ago, Youtube changed their terms of services to clarify their ad-friendly content policies. From what I could gather, their current ad-friendly policies existed for a while, but were not enforced until recently. Anyway, regardless of who is to blame behind those policies (advertisers twisting Google's arm or Youtube doing this themselves?), I think this is a big issue because it seems like Youtube will head towards the TV model where artists have to censor themselves just to meet advertising requirements and still be able to continue making a living. And people won't like that censored content as much and thus, will result into decreased video views and less revenue for the artist.

Basically, I wonder if this could mean the end of big shows like AVGN, Pewdiepie or others if they are making a living from Youtube? We already got issues with Nintendo claiming the content of many fan videos and Square-Enix claiming songs in a similar fashion.

Also my concern is that it doesn't just target videos with vulgar language, but also controversial content. Will that controversial content be treated equally or will it favor specific political parties?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

As if it wasn't already bad enough...

QuoteSexually suggestive content, including partial nudity and sexual humor
Violence, including display of serious injury and events related to violent extremism
Inappropriate language, including harassment, profanity and vulgar language
Promotion of drugs and regulated substances, including selling, use and abuse of such items
Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphic imagery is not shown
The rules, not only are they broad, but are also an attack on free speech, as if you want to get money from youtube, you will have censor your own videos or else you won't get a cent.
The most controversal rules are probably the ones on "Inappropriate language" and "Sensitive subjects".
It severely restricts the kind of content you can make on Youtube : anything reportely negative will get you no money.
Several channels like Cinemassacre, leafy, pewdiepie, Bogey and more smaller channels are in danger now.

What used to be a heaven for video content creators is now no more.

I started to look for alternative but the only credible ones i found are Dailymotion and Minds.
Minds is really promising : it's basically twitter meets Youtube and you get points for social interactions.
Best of all, it is open-source and the source code is hosted on github.

Should we all go on an exode and abandon youtube ?
Or should we keep sucking on them ?
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm not abandoning them as long as I still get views. However if there are other alternatives with more visibility (which isn't the case with Dailymotion and Vimeo, since Myspace still gives me more views than both combined) then I will gladly cross-post my videos there and maybe use Youtube less.

In any case we still don't know if it's the advertiser's fault, Youtube caving in too easily or Youtube themselves pulling that move.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 05, 2016, 03:09:32 AM
In any case we still don't know if it's the advertiser's fault, Youtube caving in too easily or Youtube themselves pulling that move.
I bet it was Youtube who pulled that move : there used to be "sexy" ads on Youtube and they said nothing until they got sensitive.
If Youtube caves to someone, that would probably be the extremists.
Some people say it was the feminist's fault but one feminist got her videos de-monitized because she said "c" so...

Btw, Google introduced similar rules to the Google App Store.
After the Eliot Rogers incident, they added a rule that forbids "sensitive content".
A lot of games were censored under that new rule: what this led to ?
A thousand clones of Candy saga and nothing else...

I hope they meet an unfortunate end.

c4ooo

As a matter of fact, YouTube is not profitable. Google looses much more money running YouTube then it makes of off add revenue. So I guess their team has calculated that this change will move their net income closer to the positive range.

p2

I dont get it in the first place how a site like youtube can't be profitable... Aren't they like the biggest video platform on the internet...? (except c industry)
they must have billions of views every year and still they lose money?  ???

• Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

ordelore

I feel any of the largest Youtube channels will be unaffected because most of them have product placements already and such. This is just a shot in the foot for the smaller channels.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+SE, TI_Nspire CX
Calc Wars is still alive (I hope)

::CMG (UTOPIA)::

Note that it's the advertisers that are being butt-hurt about "questionable" videos that are marked for ad-revenue, but the system is broken as c that even innocent channels like make-up channels are getting hit with the bot-strike.  YouTube is just watching out for their bottom line, even though Google outright said that YouTube is not making them any money.  It's just realy cish of YouTube to wait till NOW to tell everyone "oh yea um, we've been doing this c for like a year now, we just never told you about it"

Easy Solution: PATREON FOR EVERYONE!!!  :w00t:

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: ordelore on September 05, 2016, 02:19:30 PM
I feel any of the largest Youtube channels will be unaffected because most of them have product placements already and such. This is just a shot in the foot for the smaller channels.
Yeah I think the ones with a merch store or other revenue streams will be fine. It's more the ones with no other revenue streams that will be screwed. As for crowdfunding sites I tend to stay away from them, though, because as a smaller artist I fear it would make me look like a beggar, plus some big crowdfunded projects were almost a flop in the past.
Quote from: p2 on September 05, 2016, 08:01:05 AM
I dont get it in the first place how a site like youtube can't be profitable... Aren't they like the biggest video platform on the internet...? (except c industry)
they must have billions of views every year and still they lose money?  ???

A website costs a lot of bandwidth per month. With videos, Youtube probably spends a crapload of money on bandwidth and it's not like ads generate this much revenues, especially now that most people use Adblock.

Also while I don't fully agree with what gameblabla said, I agree about the part with extremists. In many occasions, it just takes 1 single person in order to shut down a project, make something change and other things. For example, some mom got christmas trees removed from a school because her son was atheist. Just 1 person was enough, because that person is usually the loudest of all.

@CMG I think they only recently started doing this. Their TOS allowed them to do it before, but it never seemed to be enforced. That's unless they did it in the past and no one made a deal about it. If they did it in the past without telling anyone, though, then that sounds a bit like when Omnimaga rule enforcement changed and nobody got informed until CodeWalrus existed. >.< I already know they tried censoring sensitive content in the past, because back in 2009, when you posted a comment that took specific sides in religion-related matters or contained related specific words, then an error occurred while clicking the Post button without telling you why.

Yuki

Pretty sure Google is profitable in quite a lot of domains other than ads and that alone would sustain the cost of running YouTube a bunch of times. Google is a real giant when it comes to server hosting, with thousand of servers around the world. Even then, advertisers are ready to give a bunch of money to get their ads on, AdBlock or not.

Anyway, for content creators, everyone knows you can't live from YouTube ads, those who do likely joined a network who gives them way more money than YouTube do (although it's integrated into YouTube apparently) or uses other things such as merch sales, Patreon or sponsors.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Quote from: Juju on September 05, 2016, 05:49:01 PM
joined a network who gives them way more money than YouTube do (although it's integrated into YouTube apparently)
Huh? Networks just take a share of your ad revenue in exchange for perks.

c4ooo

Bump:
We should see to ourselves that our karma system does not take away our freedom of speech, like the monetization system is currently doing on youtube.

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the new YT monetization policies don't prevent people from uploading controversial videos. They will just discourage people who make money with Youtube from uploading them. The CW karma system was set so that we can let members judge before we go straight with a warning or ban.

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 08, 2016, 05:56:21 PM
Well, the new YT monetization policies don't prevent people from uploading controversial videos. They will just discourage people who make money with Youtube from uploading them. The CW karma system was set so that we can let members judge before we go straight with a warning or ban.
It's still an issue though, because they won't be able to get any money from their videos if they say swear (s)words or talk about suicide.
But i'm sure you don't disagree with me on that point, it's just a reminder.

QuoteWe should see to ourselves that our karma system does not take away our freedom of speech
Not sure why you complain ?
To catch all the bad karmas is my real test.

c4ooo, i suggest you switch to https://www.minds.com if you have videos on yootoobe.
They even allow cography there, if you tag it as explicit that is, hahaha.
I am in the process of uploading all my youtube videos on minds.com.

Dream of Omnimaga

Gameblabla it's actually even worse than that: If your channel of 1000 videos and you dare uploading just 1 controversial video, then your entire channel gets demonetized, not just that video. You go from $100 ad revenues a week to $0 overnight. Also wow they really disallow talk about suicide? Not that I recommend anybody to do it but I mean, what if some doctor wants to talk about depression in a video to explain the causes and possible consequences?