Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Anyone interested for another CW challenge? (Contest 3 ideas walriistorming)

Started by caleb1997, February 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caleb1997

Over at Cemetech, they are doing small contests based on replacing built-in calculator functions. The one that they are doing right now involves SortA( and SortD(. The trick is to create a program that can sort a list of 256 items without using those two commands. Why don't we do something like that? My vote would be going for doing the mean (average) of a list, without using the built-in command to do it. What do you people think? Should we do something like this?

Rewards could be given out as userbar sigs.
  • Calculators owned: CSE, CE

aetios

That kind of feels like stealing ideas. Code golfing would be cool though, but I'd like a restriction on the language; not only for fairness but also to make people familiar with new languages :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

caleb1997

Ok then. Let's do code golfing. Perhaps a challenge every week or so?

Any ideas on what challenge #1 should be?

aetios

Make a program that converts any binary string to a hexadecimal string and print it on the screen. The binary string can be in any form: a matrix, a string, or anything else that can store something binary. The binary string should be taken in via ANS.
Categories are size and speed, language is TI-Basic. Deadline is next week on wednesday, 23:59:59 UTC ( that is, the night between wednesday and thursday)
Deadline in other time zones:
CET: 00:59:59, thursday.
EST: 17:59:59, wednesday.

Snektron

Quote from: caleb1997 on February 17, 2016, 01:33:31 PM
Over at Cemetech, they are doing small contests based on replacing built-in calculator functions. The one that they are doing right now involves SortA( and SortD(. The trick is to create a program that can sort a list of 256 items without using those two commands. Why don't we do something like that? My vote would be going for doing the mean (average) of a list, without using the built-in command to do it. What do you people think? Should we do something like this?

Rewards could be given out as userbar sigs.

Seems like a cool plan, but the last codegolfs we had always died out after a few weeks
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

Eventually we'll have a code golf reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot reboot.

Dream of Omnimaga

My opinion is that the TI community has been oversaturated with mini-contests oriented towards code-golf lately. I don't think restarting a 3rd Code Golf reboot or CWick Contests now would be very successful, so it would definitively have to be something different.

One idea I had for CW was a contest where we take one of my old BASIC game code, then people optimize its programs, one by one. It wouldn't necessarily be a contest per-SE, but it might still be fun. Or we could have RPG-oriented contests where people create the best possible lightning magic animation they can, or other spells.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

You're right, there are too many contests. It would be cool if we had a thing where we can work 'interactively' on projects, eg with those type together things online.

caleb1997

Quote from: aeTIos on February 17, 2016, 06:26:59 PM
You're right, there are too many contests. It would be cool if we had a thing where we can work 'interactively' on projects, eg with those type together things online.

Google Docs lets up to 8 people work on the same document at the same time.

Dream of Omnimaga

If it happens on Google doc or some online program editor (maybe the C editor on TI-Planet for TI-84+CE games?), then it would be nice to cross-post updates here, though, for more visibility.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Hey hey hey dont pull hte carpet from under me :P
* c4ooo runs
Pimath said he had considered a reboot reboot, but no solid plans.
A thing ime considering is making a mega copy & paste of all the code golfs in one topic, and allowing people to submit entries for past challenges.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was just pointing out, in case you guys wonder why a reboot of the reboot isn't as successful. Right now Omni has a bit more activity than last Summer from what I could gather, but it depends if people got bored of Code Golf contests or not. And in CW case a lot of CW users participated to Code Golf. And I see. that could be an idea. It's always better to try new stuff sometimes.

Araidia

Maybe some sort of non-walrii pixel art contest?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

caleb1997

That is possible... But I don't have anything to create or modify images with.

Araidia

Quote from: caleb1997 on February 18, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
That is possible... But I don't have anything to create or modify images with.
You can try Piskel
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard