Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Anime intros: Do you prefer original or translated/remade?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 15, 2014, 03:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends for me. In some cases I prefer the translated version of a song. For example, I prefer the French version of Bruises by Train (which features Marilou) and the French intro to season 1 of Pokémon. Same for Robotech and for anime I prefer the French themes of Albator, MCOG and Judo Boy to the original Japanese themes.

I think in my case it has to do with the fact that back in the 60-80's, most Japanese anime themes used music that sounds like beach music from the 60's, american disco or even something you would normally hear at a marriage banquet.

I mean, seriously, compare this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExRay4i8QbQ

To this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNyogSLAGMI

I much prefer the French version in this case. For stuff made after 1988 or so, on the other hand, that's often a different story...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

This one is the best but I didn't mention it since I never could find the Japanese equivalent. The ones in my first post are from the 1984 series.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Ah yeah, Captain Harlock. 80s and 90s anime are quite not the same deal. I remember last Friday we were watching Harlock SSX in japanese with my anime club and we were all singing the French opening instead.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

novenary

Haha these french versions are really cheesy lol. Not a huge fan of the japanese version either though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Welcome to the 80's. :P Back then, super heros were very popular in France for some reasons and pretty much every Japanese super hero show that aired in France had the same lyrics. :P

This is one example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxutx2n_JcE

Not that it's an anime but it's Japanese. But yeah IIRC pretty much any that aired in France where Bernard Minet redid the intro song has similar lyrics about how it's the greatest of all heroes and will save everyone. But again, Japanese people weren't any better because almost every hero looked like they were from the Sentai series. <_<

Even the animes use the same lyrics lol (and on top of that this one uses the same instruments from the French DBZ intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4oaFZVwM7g

EDIT: Lol in the video suggestions for this one there's a walrus-related video. :P

novenary

Lol, youtube suggestions are based on what you watch. I had some twilight force suggested on a star wars video. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

TIfanx1999

It really depends. In Yu-Yu-Hakusho, all the intros and endings were redone in English, and they did a fantastic job. Though, that whole dub is fantastic to be fair. Bubble gum crisis also redid all the Japanese music in English. This was actually an earlier dub where this sort of thing wasn't really done. They also did quite an impressive job. *edit* to be clear, they weren't exactly translated. The same background music was re done by new bands and the lyrics were adapted (in both examples). If the lyrics were literally translated, it probably wouldn't fit the music very well, so creative license was taken.