Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Results out!) The Walrii programming contest comes to an end!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 20, 2016, 01:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which contest II entry is your favorite?

Unicorn

Quote from: critor on January 21, 2016, 09:06:46 PM
Thank you for your reply. :)

but then, how can the screenshot in the 1st post be correct ?
It seems that occasionally the distorted colors pop up. You can add real(0,3,5,0 to the beginning of the program to fix it as Dj suggested, or do a RAM clear. I believe the RAM clear should work.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: JWinslow23 on January 21, 2016, 06:22:53 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 21, 2016, 06:14:33 PM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on January 21, 2016, 06:10:30 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 21, 2016, 06:04:01 PM
Quote from: JWinslow23 on January 21, 2016, 05:42:58 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 21, 2016, 03:07:02 PM
I am just voting for c4ooo, even though I was not able to try it yet (too lazy to dig up my old TI-84+, install TIConnect which is crap and delete stuff off my 84+), as I can't play the other entries and JWinslow's never seems to load the leaderboard, making the game hang after the first try and having me to exit out of the game and restart the executable. Good job though.
The game didn't hang. The leaderboard just doesn't work on any version but the online version. Just click the play button and you're fine. Did you read the readme? :P
I never read the readme unless something does not compile :P
Well, it does specifically state that highscores only work on the online version. Always read the readme next time ;)
Well I was just searching for an excuse.
Idk how c4ooo's is but I played yours a bit. I was mainly voting for program language effort. Scratch is just nothing I personally like that much but TI-84 requires some more skills. Just forget about it, I removed the vote.
Are you kidding? Do you know how much trouble I had to go through to learn a new programming language and use it to make a full-fledged game? Have you looked at the horribly inefficient code? (click "See inside" on the online version) I'd say that took way more effort than even my Walrii demo :P
Yeah this is why I tend to check the end result rather than what language was used when judging the quality of a game. I would rather play a polished but slower BASIC game than a completely broken ASM game. And DarkestEx entry showed an example of why doing the effort of learning a better language is sometimes not the way to go for a contest, due to time restrictions (he did not even have time to even write a single line of code).

The only issue I had with Scratch and some other high level languages is compatibility and portability, although Scratch compatibility isn't as bad as I initially thought (I thought the entry would only be playable on Scratch website and require an account).

Quote from: critor on January 21, 2016, 09:06:46 PM
Thank you for your reply. :)

but then, how can the screenshot in the 1st post be correct ?
Because it is correct. This is how the game looks like after a RAM reset. Just add real(0,3,5,0) at the beginning of his source code or do a RAM reset then the game should run fine.

xLIBC color palette ranges from 0 to 255 (256 colors) and the real(0,3,5 command will let you change the start of the color palette and it will wrap around. For example, real(0,3,5,120) will cause the color palette to go from 120 to 255, then wrap around from 0 to 119. 

There is also another command that lets you rotate the colors immediately in a specific area of the screen and here is a screenshot demonstrating the effect:

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

Thank you very much, it worked. :)

By the way, how can I change the current level in Zampy's quest ?
The readme says you have to edit the source code, but I couldn't figure out what I had to change. :(

Thanks.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah same. I think alex posted how somewhere, but I need to find the post again.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Quote from: alexgt on January 20, 2016, 02:24:52 PM
Well we have two exams one in the middle of the year and one at the end

And to change the level you have to go to a subroutine named RunMainMenu() which is below DrawMainMenu() which is below ExitGame() which is right under the main function START() so it isn't that far down :P

then you will look for a line that looks like this:

AFiles("LEVEL.1-1")->M1;

You can change it to any of the following preset levels:
- LEVEL.LSelect
- TestLevel
- Level1-1
- LEVEL.1-1
- MenuWorld

You can also make levels on your own they just have to make a matrix that is at least 20x15

the block IDs are:
Grass - 1
Dirt - 2
Brick - 3
Flowers - 4-6
Door Base - 7
Door Top - 8

Just put those in the matrix and use this in the home screen and it will create the level in the App

M1->AFiles("Whatever you want to name your level")

M1 is just what I usually use for making levels but you can use anything you want, be careful because when you run Zampy's Quest it sets M1 ot 1x1 erasing it.

Make sure that everything you put in AFiles() is surrounded by quotes ;)
Here you go @critor ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

critor

I've made a little french news covering the color games :
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=195648#p195648

Here's a little video demo of the color games :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmv-Vy1dG7c

Notice a little bug with Zampy's Quest at 2:11 : Walrii may remain stuck when walking over a hole.

I'm linking the 1st post in this topic both at the end of the news and in the video description.
I'm also telling the readers to test the other non-color games before voting.

Just contact me if there is any error or problem to fix. :)

alexgt

Awesome! It will be nice for more people to be voting ;)

The bug is known but all you have to do is jump to get out of it. I tried for a long time to fix it to no avail <_<

semiprocoder

Alexgt I followed your installation video but the connectivity kit is not letting me send folders to the emulator. I could only send the main file, Zampy′s Quest PC.hpapp, but it didn't even popped up when I opened programs.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

alexgt

Make sure you click the drop down for the calculator, otherwise it cant send files to the calculator.

Just to make sure when you drag it into the emu, open the app by right clicking and clicking open. Then click on the Info tab on the opened program, type a word or to and click save all. You can now delete those if you want or keep them t doesn't matter.

If that doesn't work screenshots will help because I might be missing something ;)

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 22, 2016, 05:07:50 AM
There is also another command that lets you rotate the colors immediately in a specific area of the screen and here is a screenshot demonstrating the effect:

Wait, can I run the program and then have the color stay that way until something resets it? That would be pretty cool...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

The bar will switch back to gray when the home screen will be reloaded or when the bar text gets updated.

alexgt

SiphonicSugar

Yeah, I want to know which game is actually worth playing!

*SiphonicSugar runs
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

alexgt

You should test them all out, they are all good games :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: alexgt on January 25, 2016, 04:57:19 AM
How far along are you with judging btw DJ?
Not started yet, but all entries are tested. I'm starting judging as soon as I don't work 6 days in a row.