Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(Updated) Back-to-school site additions and changes

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 04, 2015, 05:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

With school starting comes site updates! First of all, we are sorry to announce that @Duke "Tape" Eiyeron will no longer be full time CodeWalrus staff. He will now be part of the "part-time maintenance" group. As he moved on from forums in general, he could no longer fullfill his full staff position, but he will still help when he can, while also trying to find time to work on his projects. He also retains his Elite Coder badge. We hope that he can still pop in every now and then in the future and hope that he can eventually return to his original staff commitments in long term.

In better news, we now have a calculator tutorials section! When you post useful tutorials there, we will edit the topic title with tags to make it easily searchable in the list. Click here to access the sub-forum.

And finally, the front-page news sub-forum was replaced with a redirect to our old list of news, as the sub-forum was too annoying to maintain and served the same purpose.

There are at least two future part-time staff considerations (and usergroup color change because all the pink would get annoying), but our current staff being busy at the end of Summer vacations and with minor site maintenance/updates led to this being postponed (it can take some time to review potential candidates). We will get back on this in less than two years. :P

The Omninet IRC channel will also be discontinued this month, so move to EFnet as soon as possible (or you can also use WalrusIRC). The IRC channel is #codewalrus and a list of servers is available at http://www.efnet.org/?module=servers

UPDATE (Sept 6th 2015): Good news, topic tags now shows up everywhere on the site instead of just topic view! Thanks to WadaNon for an update of the tags mod we are using, as well as another fix he provided. So now you will see topic tags even in the Recent Posts page! :walrii:

UPDATE (Sept 18th 2015): We are sorry to announce that Keoni29 and Hayleia have been demoted from their Elite Coder badges. Elite Coders badges are given when an user has made notable programs and is working on notable projects, while also being commited to the growth of CodeWalrus by contributing to our forums. Unfortunately, Keoni29 only posted 9 times since April on CodeWalrus forums, which is way too low (the minimum is 5 per month) and while Hayleia's activity was not a concern, his last project update dates back from before CodeWalrus even existed. They are free to re-apply in the future, along with new people, if they meet our requirements again, though. We hope that they continue programming  and contribute again in the future.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Awesome, should something like how to install apps on your Prime be a good thing to have in the tutorial section?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed it would be! :) It would be best if the said tutorial was in the first post, though (or at least that the first post features links to in-topic tutorials)

EDIT: I also edited the first post, because I forgot to state that the Omninet IRC channel will be discontinued this month (only Soru used it and he's also idling on EFnet). People will need to move to EFnet (or use WalrusIRC and Telegram). Every other TI channel is also available on EFnet (#ti, #cemetech, #omnimaga, etc)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Awesome!Could someone please put my xLIBC Spriting tutorial in the subforum too?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 04, 2015, 05:15:53 AM
Indeed it would be! :) It would be best if the said tutorial was in the first post, though (or at least that the first post features links to in-topic tutorials)

EDIT: I also edited the first post, because I forgot to state that the Omninet IRC channel will be discontinued this month (only Soru used it and he's also idling on EFnet). People will need to move to EFnet (or use WalrusIRC and Telegram). Every other TI channel is also available on EFnet (#ti, #cemetech, #omnimaga, etc)
I was thinking of making a whole new and improved tutorial :)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

That could work too. Ideally, have it in one post then add extra info in the second post if 20000 characters isn't enough for the first. An app creation tutorial, as well as a tutorial on how to run apps (eg what to do when you get certain errors) would be nice too

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 05, 2015, 04:12:21 AM
That could work too. Ideally, have it in one post then add extra info in the second post if 20000 characters isn't enough for the first. An app creation tutorial, as well as a tutorial on how to run apps (eg what to do when you get certain errors) would be nice too

Is it possible to increase the character limit per board ? So we could set it to 50k for the tutorials board.

Dream of Omnimaga

As long as it's not 65535 because that can cause issues when importing or restoring database content (eg if we switch servers), as I witnessed on TIMGULwith most of my discography topic being lost due to the stored data being larger than tgr actual post and limited to 64K

Dream of Omnimaga

Updated first post to reflect changes about topic tags. They now show in the recent posts page :D

Dream of Omnimaga

UPDATE (Sept 18th 2015): We are sorry to announce that Keoni29 and Hayleia have been demoted from their Elite Coder badges. Elite Coders badges are given when an user has made notable programs and is working on notable projects, while also being commited to the growth of CodeWalrus by contributing to our forums. Unfortunately, Keoni29 only posted 9 times since April on CodeWalrus forums, which is way too low (the minimum is 5 per month) and while Hayleia's activity was not a concern, his last project update dates back from before CodeWalrus even existed. They are free to re-apply in the future, along with new people, if they meet our requirements again, though. We hope that they continue programming  and contribute again in the future.

Hayleia

But but but, Four Shades of Grey :P
Yeah, not a real project, ok :P

But yeah, I hope I'll be back working on something someday, but now I completely understand that decision and agree with it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, there was that, but yeah it was for a contest so it was kinda clear that the project would only last a few weeks. I hope next year you are not as busy with school since it would suck if you were unable to code until June 2017 due to all internships and stuff >.<