Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Wabbitemu is for Chrome OS (sort-of)

Started by CKH4, January 13, 2015, 10:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CKH4

QuoteNOTE: This is very broken, there are no guaranties that this will work.

Chrome has gotten an update (chrome 37 which is now kind of old) which allows it to run Android Applications (.apk). This works not by emulating android but by running a version of Android's runtime environment. Similar to Android's ART chrome has gotten ARC, they preform the same functions but are for different OSes. It was originally only for ChromeOS but vladikoff has ported it to other OSes (and removed a restriction which only allowed 4 apps).

Installation:

• Download ARChon
    [spoiler=Taken from website:]
    Note: This can be unstable on operating systems other than Chrome OS.

Warning: The custom runtime will replace the official runtime component. To go back to the official runtime you will need to uninstall the custom one and reinstall the official one.

Tested on OS X, Windows 64-bit and Ubuntu. You must have Chrome 37+ installed. (If it doesn't work try Chrome Canary).

Download the runtime that is appropriate for your system:

RuntimeDownload
    ARChon 1.2 - Intel x86 Chrome 64-bit / Chrome OS 64-bit    BitBucket :: Mirror
    MD5:d77b468339cc512e121c003cc97715db
    ARChon 1.2 - Intel x86 Chrome 32-bit / Chrome OS 32-bit (Win7 32-bit: Use something like Chrome Beta 38.0.2125.77 beta-m)    BitBucket :: Mirror
    MD5:9c9844e2591a27d952098581011a2bce
    ARChon 1.2 - ARM (i.e ARM-based Chromebooks)    BitBucket :: Mirror
    MD5:3d6955c7702baf1e1d16a000d9f67b10
    [/spoiler]

• Unzip the download
  • Open the Chrome Extensions page (chrome://extensions/)
  • Select Developer Mode
  • Click load unpacked extension...
  • Select the folder that you unzipped and click open
  • Go to next step...

Packing Wabbitemu as an extension:

QuoteThese next steps assume that you have a relatively recent android phone or tablet (past 5 years).

You can also package it on a computer but I have not tried it, here is a link to the guide: https://github.com/vladikoff/chromeos-apk/blob/master/archon.md#instructions

• Download Wabbitemu from the play store: Wabbitemu
  • Download ARChon from the play store: ARChon
  • Open ARChon and follow the prompts provided
  • When it asks Phone or Tablet Mode choose based on your screen resolution,
    Phone for Screens < 1080p
    Tablet for Screens ≥ 1080p
  • Make sure it says portrait (the app doesn't have portrait mode)
  • When it finishes compiling make sure to email the zip to yourself.

Installing Wabbitemu:

• Download the Wabbitemu .zip that you just emailed yourself and unzip it
  • Open the Chrome Extensions page (chrome://extensions/)
  • Select Developer Mode
  • Click load unpacked extension...
  • Select the folder that you unzipped and click open
  • Click launch under the extension called 'Wabbitemu'

I hope that at least some people can use this. Feel free to ask any questions.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Interesting. I thought that Chromebooks supported Android stuff in the first place, so it's good that they now get more compatibility. However, I think the Android version of Wabbitemu is very outdated, right?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

Not anymore, the only features missing are the debug tools.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok. I thought it was no longer updated because Geekboy1011 seemed to only maintain the Windows version which Buckeye left behind before vanishing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

It got updated a couple of months after the windows version with TI-84+ CSE bootfree was updated.