Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

8xpconv - Tool to convert 8xp files to bin

Started by DarkestEx, January 23, 2016, 06:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Hello, I was in need for a program to convert .8xp files to .bin files to be able to disassemble them, so I created a small tool to do this task for me.
The tool runs on Windows, Linux and Mac, but for the latter two, the mono environment is required.
It is written in .NET (C#) which makes the tool portable.

Download is here: http://legacy.bmuessig.eu/media/Z80/Tools/TI-8x/8xpconv.exe
Syntax is: 8xpconv.exe <input file> [output file]

Have fun :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Does this generate the ASM source? There was a similar tool by DWedit a few years ago but I think it only ran on Windows 98 or lower. There was also http://asmtools.omnimaga.org/ but it provides the ASM code in hexadecimal form. Hopefully your tool is useful to many coders :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 23, 2016, 07:01:52 PM
Does this generate the ASM source? There was a similar tool by DWedit a few years ago but I think it only ran on Windows 98 or lower. There was also http://asmtools.omnimaga.org/ but it provides the ASM code in hexadecimal form. Hopefully your tool is useful to many coders :)
No it can't, but disassembying is now very easy. As soon as the file is .bin you can throw it into any Z80 disassembler such as dZ80.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Sounds cool DarkestEx ;) I don't think I will be able to put it to good use though :(
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

SiphonicSugar

Hmm... So what did you need this for anyway?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

DarkestEx

Thanks all :)

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 24, 2016, 06:31:27 PM
Hmm... So what did you need this for anyway?
Well if you want to disassemble and reverse engineer a TI-OS program that is assembly, you will need a disassembler. Z80 disassemblers don't support the input of .8xp files normally so I wrote a tool that brings the files into a compatible format, so that most Z80 disassemblers can deal with them.

I am not sure, whether i should strip more of the header. Do TI-OS Asm programs have any extra Asm header in the data part?
If so, i would need to look for that.

SiphonicSugar

No, I meant like a couple of days ago you wanted to know if there was a tool that could complete this job...
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad

DarkestEx

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 24, 2016, 07:53:25 PM
No, I meant like a couple of days ago you wanted to know if there was a tool that could complete this job...
o
Nothing important really, just disasembling TwoStep to make some new photos for my site.

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on January 24, 2016, 06:38:17 PM
I am not sure, whether i should strip more of the header. Do TI-OS Asm programs have any extra Asm header in the data part?
There's the 2 byte header at the beginning of the program, you need to strip that as well. It's a token that allows the OS to be recognized as an assembly program (it causes a syntax error when you run it normally and the os checks for it when you run it with asm().

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 24, 2016, 08:42:46 PM
Quote from: DarkestEx on January 24, 2016, 06:38:17 PM
There's the 2 byte header at the beginning of the program, you need to strip that as well. It's a token that allows the OS to be recognized as an assembly program (it causes a syntax error when you run it normally and the os checks for it when you run it with asm().
Thanks for letting me know :)
I just made the changes to compensate for it.
The new version is uploaded.

SiphonicSugar

Yay and congratulations to your quick success on this project! :P

DarkestEx