Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Mighty n° 9 release

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 12, 2016, 04:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

For those who don't know, Mighty No 9 is a 2D sci-fi platformer. It's basically the CodeWalrus of the Mega Man series. It was funded on Kickstarter a few years ago and was supposed to come out on consoles and Steam in 2015. However, it then suffered from several delays and the release date was eventually set to Q2 2016 or TBA, depending of the source.

http://www.mightyno9.com/

However, the worst part right now is that Comcept, the company behind this game, has not posted any message on their Facebook, Twitter and website since January 2016 and they used to post regularly.

I wonder if they went under or something? (which could be possible if many people successfully asked for Kickstarter refunds, if they were forced to refund everyone by Kickstarter or if they got in legal troubles) It would suck to see this project fail and I would also feel bad for people who crowdfunded this.

Personally, Mighty no 9 is why I no longer fund any project on Kickstarter.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

If there was a basic income, there wouldn't that many crappy kickstarters asking for money only to then backstab you from behind...
When you have a project,  before you can announce it, make sure it's done. (90% of projects do not follow this, sadly)

QuoteHowever, the worst part right now is that Comcept, the company behind this game, has not posted any message on their Facebook, Twitter and website since January 2016 and they used to post regularly.
I think they are focusing on maybe actually finishing the game.
That, or they secretly run out of funds and quietly discontinued the project...
But i don't think the latter could be the case, i mean, the game is almost done according to them.

QuotePersonally, Mighty no 9 is why I no longer fund any project on Kickstarter.
Not all kickstarters projects are like these : Look at Undertale.
But then i agree, most of them are just failures, or they failed miserably. (The Ouya, the GCW0. They aren't bad but they failed to meet their objectives)
I have personally just backed one Kickstarter project. (A Dreamcast game)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, the thing is that on Kickstarter, if you fail to deliver after people funded you, then if people report the project for doing so, then Kickstarter can shut you down and force you to refund everyone, else that is considered as fraud. And sadly, many projects that get announced are not even started yet. As long as a project is not 90% complete there is no guarantee that it's feasible.

Another problem is that many companies lacks any transparency whatsoever. For example, Pier Solar 3rd reprint came out 2 years later than supposed and the staff were very vague or often refused to communicate any news until they got enough transparency complaints.

When a Kickstarter is managed well, like Undertale then it's good. But what I am saying is that with all the poorly planned ones out there, it's hard to trust projects there. I prefer just supporting authors when they post progress on forums or whatever.

As for Mighty no 9 they really should communicate some news about how the game is going, even if it just means posting that more work is being put on the online mode but that it's not out yet. It doesn't take a lot of effort to post a 140-characters tweet. That's unless they filed for bankruptcy and were locked out from their website, Facebook and Twitter accounts by liquidators, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

aeTIos reminded me that Mighty no 9 actually got a real release date this time, which would be June 26th (the 3DS and PSVita versions will come out later). http://www.mightyno9.com/en/20160502

Apparently, the game has gone gold, so perhaps this means the release date will be met this time or at least without major delays. I just hope that the game sales don't suffer too much from those repeated delays (the game was supposed to be out in early 2015 or maybe before). I personally would have released single player modes then made a DLC (free) of the online mode later.

The thing though is that many people hated the trailer so I hope it doesn't hurt the game reputation even more >.<

aetios

Well, the price is really low, only 20 euros for the PC version so I bet lots of people will buy it just to check out.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Nice. Over here it's $35 for the Xbox One, PS4 and I think for the Wii U. I assume the PC version is $30 since digital PC games are usually cheaper, but I'll probably go for the Xbox One or Wii U version. Hopefully the long delays were worth the wait and did not make the project suffer like with Duke Nukem Forever (although that was delayed 14 years lol)

Dream of Omnimaga

So this is out in North America now. I'll buy a Wii U or Xbox One copy when I get some time (unless reviews says it's Big Rigs)

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 21, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
So this is out in North America now. I'll buy a Wii U or Xbox One copy when I get some time (unless reviews says it's Big Rigs)
You should get a Wii U, so you can also play the new zelda game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

aetios

I'm sad to announce that this game /is/ big rigs. IGN gave it a 5.6 out of 10, and from what I've seen, its graphics are pretty cty. RIP.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on June 21, 2016, 01:33:56 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 21, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
You should get a Wii U, so you can also play the new zelda game.
I got both actually :P

Quote from: aeTIos on June 21, 2016, 02:08:06 PM
I'm sad to announce that this game /is/ big rigs. IGN gave it a 5.6 out of 10, and from what I've seen, its graphics are pretty cty. RIP.
Big Rigs got 1/10 tho. :P Also sometimes there are games that get 5/10 that I like so I'll really nees to investigate to see what ia wrong with it. Eg if it's just the graphics being bad or completely broken gameplay

Edit: After reading various comments about the game, it seems that half of the people who despise the game are anime fans who got offended at the trailer or people who judges the game entirely based on the trailer. If the game is this bad then why is it getting an average score?

I'm taking the criticism with a grain of salt for now.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok so I played the game more in depth now and I must say it's not as bad as people make it sound like. There are some  minor and major issues, though:

-Online features do not work (connection error) on Wii U
-Some frame rate drops when big pillars collapses in the Mightt No 1 stage
-Long loading times (when you die it takes 15 seconds to respawn)

Gameplay overall is fun, though. This game is friggin hard, though.

Yuki

Heh, I should look at it if it's any fun.

Also, spoiler, this is the credits roll:

In case you finish the game and you want to sit through 3 hours 48 minutes of names slowly scrolling on your screen (of which only the first 6 minutes are the staff), trying to spot yours if you have backed it on Kickstarter... good luck.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow that's long O.O. And lol, I thought you beat the game at first. Even with 9 lives it's hard.

gameblabla

The graphics are great !!!
- said no one ever

The final version sadly looks nothing like the concept art, remember those ?

They should have went with beautiful 2D graphics instead of this...
I know, the gameplay might be great but it's just a shame it turned out like this.
The PS3 and X360 versions also won't have a retail release, which is sad because
i wanted to have at least a physical copy of the X360 version.

Do you still think it is worth buying compared to... i don't know, Metagal ?
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

It's worth buying but it's not the best Megaman fan game. You could wait until the price drops. I am happy with my purchase but I could understand why some people aren't. I am disappointed they pulled an Ubisoft there (presenting much better graphics at E3 or previews than in the final release)