Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+][TI-82][TI-83] HoustonTracker 2 on-calc music editor

Started by utz, October 06, 2015, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utz

After 8 months of hard work, It's time 4 da calculator!

About HoustonTracker 2

HoustonTracker 2 is a music editor/sequencer for the Texas Instruments TI-82, TI-83/82STATS, and TI-83+/84+/SE. It allows you to compose and play multi-channel 1-bit music directly on your TI graphic calculator.

Features

• 3 tone channels
• 1 non-interrupting drum channel
• up to 128 note patterns
• up to 64 drum/fx patterns
• sequence length up to 255 pattern rows
• 16-bit frequency precision
• 8-bit speed precision, can be configured per step
• various effects, including:
  - L/C/R stereo hard-panning for tone and drum channels
  - 8bit duty cycle control
  - duty cycle sweep
• 2 user definable samples
• up to 8 savestates
• edit during playback

sound example

website
download (includes 82p/83p/8xp binaries and docs)
source

Bug reports? Suggestions? Feature requests? Best to post them in the dev thread over at the 1-Bit Forum.

UPDATE 2016-02-19

New version 2.10 released! Features an improved sound routine, several new effects, better keyhandling, and a build for TI-82 Parcus models. Also, various bugs were fixed. The download links above have been updated accordingly.

Full list of changes:

[spoiler]

NEW/CHANGES

- channel 1 now has variable duty cycle, too
- new effect: 4xx - set duty/noise mode ch1
- old 4xx (toggle duty cycle sweep) has been merged in to 5xx (set duty ch2)
- old Cxx (set drum mode) is now Dxx
- old Dxx (set vol ch1/drums) has been removed (no longer possible for technical reasons)
- new effect: 8xx - execute note table ch3
- new effect: 9xx - glitch channel 3.
- new Cxx effect: note cut ch1
- TI-82 Parcus/OS 19.006 support
- ALPHA mode is now one-shot, ie. it is turned off after an ALPHA mode action has been performed
- sound loop now has cycle-exact timing except if drum modes 2x-4x are used
- 3xx now uses inverse values (0xff = slowest setting), and is deactivated with 300 instead of 200.
  The old 300 effect can be achieved with command 9FF instead.
- 2xx/3xx no longer trigger on rest notes.
- "glitchy" drum modes no longer output sound on rows without a drum trigger
- AutoInc is now off by default

BUGFIXES

- fixed recovery from failed save attempt
- fx pattern 0x3f was previously lost during save, fixed
- note pattern 0x7f was inaccessible from sequence screen, fixed
- fixed broken loop point setting
- improved keypad debouncing on Plus models
- mode indicators were incorrect after loading/zapping a tune, fixed

[/spoiler]

UPDATE 2016-09-02

New version 2.20 released! Comes with new effects, improved speed control, and a savestate manager utility for importing tracks from older versions (some manual adjustments may be required though).

Full list of changes:

[spoiler]

NEW/CHANGES

- new effect: 7xx - auto chord ch2
- Exx is now the "Extended" fx command - execute up to 5 fx commands at once (old E00..E03 is now E80..E83)
- Bxy now has added "loop section" function
- more fine-grained tempo control
- Copy/Paste keys are arranged in a more consistent/safe manner (check the manual for details!)
- (somewhat) reduced noise during row transitions
- improved fx handling

BUGFIXES

- fixed wrong Drum panning (was inverted)
- faulty executable checksum calculation fixed (was causing errors with TI-Connect)

[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

p4nix

Although I don't own a TI, you've earned some Karma ;) Really amazing, especially because it also gives a plan of how to work with trackers in general. I should fire up a LSDJ in an emulator more often :)
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh that looks even better than its predecessor. I hope I can find time to try this version at somr point. Perhaps in a few months you could relaunch the 1 bit contest with it?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

If I ever have the time to work out sound on my fx9860 (already found a sourcecode using C and syscalls (SerialConnection)), I'd like to contribute to that 1bit scene ;)

EDIT: Can you give us an mp3 download or something of the tune in the video? That would be very kind, since it's really cool music!

Dream of Omnimaga

Congrats for making the front page :)

I should try to port one of my songs to this. Maybe this one?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

Thanks you guys!

@p4nix: I've enabled downloads on soundcloud now, so you can grab the mp3 from there :)

@DJ Omnimaga: Hehe yes, and unlike HT1 it actually works without memory leaks and random RAM clears, I hope ;) I don't plan on holding another 1bit contest anytime soon, but I'm planning to release a compilation of HT2 tracks at some point. So, if anybody makes any cool tracks, let me know. Some power metal certainly wouldn't hurt :D

Ivoah

After a full RAM clear, my 84+ SE only has 22220 bytes of RAM free, but HT2 is 23419 bytes :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

utz

@Ivoah: Holy moly, the 84+SE has that little user RAM? I thought it was supposed to have ~24k like the rest of the Plus models.

Ok, as a quick fix I've attached a special 84+SE version. It's untested, so let me know if you run into any problems with it.

Ivoah

Does having archived programs take up RAM space? 'cause I've got quite a bit archived on here. My 2nd SE that has absolutely nothing on it has 24206 bytes free. Also, why is HT2 so large?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

utz

Hmm, interesting. In theory, the number of archieved files shouldn't have any major impact. Maybe it has something to do with the OS version. Do you have the same OS on both your SEs?

HT2 is huge because it handles savestates internally. This is done to provide compatibility with the older models, which don't provide a safe/documented way of dealing with the OS VAT table. Of course on the Plus models, it would make more sense to handle the savestates as external files (and perhaps use Flash, too). I have plans to do that in a future version, but it'll probably take a while till I get around to that. My primary aim with HT2 is to give a new life to the thousands of old TI-82s and 83s out there. Also I actually know very little about the Plus models in general, my newest TI calc is a 83+ BE ;)

Ivoah

Quote from: utz on October 07, 2015, 01:55:53 PM
Hmm, interesting. In theory, the number of archieved files shouldn't have any major impact. Maybe it has something to do with the OS version. Do you have the same OS on both your SEs?

HT2 is huge because it handles savestates internally. This is done to provide compatibility with the older models, which don't provide a safe/documented way of dealing with the OS VAT table. Of course on the Plus models, it would make more sense to handle the savestates as external files (and perhaps use Flash, too). I have plans to do that in a future version, but it'll probably take a while till I get around to that. My primary aim with HT2 is to give a new life to the thousands of old TI-82s and 83s out there. Also I actually know very little about the Plus models in general, my newest TI calc is a 83+ BE ;)

Yeah, they're both running 2.55 MP. Anyways, this is a super cool program, I just wish I were good enough at music to make something nice. Perhaps I'll try "porting" an existing song.

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Ivoah on October 07, 2015, 01:06:27 PM
Does having archived programs take up RAM space? 'cause I've got quite a bit archived on here. My 2nd SE that has absolutely nothing on it has 24206 bytes free. Also, why is HT2 so large?
Yes, archived programs takes RAM, because of the VAT. The program name and other things are stored in RAM so they take 10-12 bytes each. You will need to delete a lot of stuff in order to run Houston Tracker. Gemini 3D, Dying Eyes and Reuben series had the same problem.

Another solution could be that Utz makes it as a Flash APP for the 83+ series, but that would require a lot of work for him since he mainly programs for non-flash models.

TI-82: 28 KB RAM
TI-83: 27 KB RAM
TI-73: 25 KB RAM (160 KB Flash)
TI-83+: 24 KB RAM (160 KB Flash)
TI-83+SE: 24 KB RAM (1540 KB Flash)
TI-84+: 24 KB RAM (480 KB Flash)
TI-84+SE: 24 KB RAM (1540 KB Flash)
TI-84+CSE: 21 KB RAM (3500 KB Flash)
TI-84+CE: 150 KB RAM (3000 KB Flash)

Also Houston Tracker 2 is that large for a reason: It has many features. :)

p4nix

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 08, 2015, 06:26:25 AM
Also Houston Tracker 2 is that large for a reason: It has many features. :)

He said that it's so large because it saves data back into the program instead of an AppVar or something.