Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

SDL/n2DLib ports for TI Nspire

Started by gameblabla, August 19, 2015, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 23, 2016, 10:22:20 PM
Actually, some Ys Book I and II and Ys III tracks use the soundchip as well. Could this be problematic?
Sorry, perhaps i need to explain a bit.

The reason why i'm saying this is because i fear that Ys IV might be too big to fit the TI-Nspire NAND.
Because Ys IV is not using many CDDA tracks and instead relies on compressed voices, cutscenes and soundchip generated soundtracks,
i fear that even stripping the game out of its CDDA tracks might not be enough to make the game small enough to fit the small NAND.
(The game needs to be smaller than 100Mb)

For example, Ys Book I & II is 16 Mb without the CDDA tracks and Dracula X is 22Mb.
And Ys I & II IS playable on the real calc, perhaps i should do a video about it.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. Yeah I noticed when playing that it had many non-CDDA tracks. Thanks for explaning in further details.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

I have released a minor update to Temper (the syscards folder was not created) and PokeMini. (now runs faster)
Critor made a news about Temper too, if you want to check it out.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I saw the news. Pretty nice and congrats. Hopefully I can make one soon :). Also thanks for the update. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

So Ys IV without the CDDA tracks is 76 Mb so it does fit ! :) (not in my asshole, the nand)

So just for the sake of it, i gave Ys V a try on my PocketSNES emulator.
Unfortunely, something totally unexpected happened...

The game checks if the SPC700 (the sound processor) is present and will freeze if it is not present.
I removed all the sound code to my emulator and as a result, the game did not work...

New version of PocketSNES

Due to that, i have decided to revamp PocketSNES a bit.
It comes in 4 different cores now :
a minimal version of PocketSNES 1.39, the full PocketSNES 1.39, PocketSNES 1.43 with no sound and the full PocketSNES 1.43 core.

The minimal version of PocketSNES 1.39 is very fast and is now twice as fast as the previous version !
Super Mario World is closer to fullspeed and Super Mario Kart is now bearable. (still slow)
All of that, on a non-overclocked TI-nspire CX !

This also means you have faster SuperFX emulation :p (with the full PocketSNES 1.39 core that is)

By the way, Ys V only works properly with the full SnesEx 1.43 core.

You can download the new version here.

I also gave PicoDrive a try again and it now no longer works...
Not even the older versions work now.
Seems like it never worked for anyone other than me.
I need to look at this closer...

Dream of Omnimaga

New PocketSNES? *.* Nice, it looks like I'll have to give it a try soon. Has the frame rate improved too or just the emulation speed?

Also I'm glad that Ys IV fits. As for Ys V SNES I am surprised that it fails, since the most common games to fail in SNES emulators are Star Ocean and Mario RPG.

Regarding PicoDrive, good luck fixing it. I wonder if this means my calc will be able to run it in the future? :P

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2016, 04:19:33 AM
New PocketSNES? *.* Nice, it looks like I'll have to give it a try soon. Has the frame rate improved too or just the emulation speed?
With the minimal version of PocketSNES 1.39, the improvements to the framerate are significant : twice as fast !
To give you an idea how fast it is :
Super Mario World is so fast, it runs fullspeed on my 266Mhz TI-Nspire with no frameskip.
Super Mario Kart runs at 40 FPS with a frameskip set to 2 on my 266Mhz nspire. (it used to be much slower before)
Star Fox went from crawling to slow. (yay, threedee games on mah calculator)

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, that's fast. It might be due to my Nspire but I always had the impression that PocketSNES ran at about 30-40% speed in Mario Kart but at half the FPS. Maybe it's beecause the game was running slower so I had the impression that the frame rate was lower than it was. On a side note, can we change the frame skipping settings in this version?

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2016, 03:12:55 PM
Darn, that's fast. It might be due to my Nspire but I always had the impression that PocketSNES ran at about 30-40% speed in Mario Kart but at half the FPS. Maybe it's beecause the game was running slower so I had the impression that the frame rate was lower than it was.
Well, it wasn't your Nspire, Mario Kart was slow on all nspire.
It is still kind of slow but it's much faster than before.

QuoteOn a side note, can we change the frame skipping settings in this version?
No. This thing has no menu so there's no frame skipping settings.
It's set to "Auto", which means it will drop frames only when needed.

Dream of Omnimaga

Would adding a menu be very hard?

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2016, 09:49:09 PM
Would adding a menu be very hard?
No, it's just that it will take a lot of time doing it.
I need to make a template...

Dream of Omnimaga

Even longer than porting Quake? O.O

gameblabla

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2016, 10:44:49 PM
Even longer than porting Quake? O.O
kind of because i need to do it from scratch.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true. It was kinda strange looking at the whole picture, though :P

Ivoah

Quote from: gameblabla on June 27, 2016, 04:26:38 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 27, 2016, 04:19:33 AM
With the minimal version of PocketSNES 1.39, the improvements to the framerate are significant : twice as fast !
To give you an idea how fast it is :
Super Mario World is so fast, it runs fullspeed on my 266Mhz TI-Nspire with no frameskip.
Super Mario Kart runs at 40 FPS with a frameskip set to 2 on my 266Mhz nspire. (it used to be much slower before)
Star Fox went from crawling to slow. (yay, threedee games on mah calculator)
It's so awesome to finally have a decent SNES emulator on the Nspire. It only took forever :) Congrats on your hard work, I'm sure you'll be the cause of much distracted students in the future ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE