Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Toy Story NES - IPS patch to "fix" typos

Started by JWinslow23, August 14, 2015, 12:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

I was on a bootlegged-ports-on-NES kick for a while, and I found Toy Story for the NES, presumably made by Ei-How Yang. The game is apparently notable for its many typos, even saying "TOY SOTRY" at one point. I was able to find 2 ROMs of this game, but one of them doesn't work on FCEUX for some reason. The one that DID work, however, had none of them. So, I tried to bring all the typos back. :P

I only have 3 comparison screenshots: 2 pre-level Etch A Sketch texts and "TOY SOTRY". I'm terrible at this game, I can never get past level 2. I got TOY SOTRY with a level select code.

Left is original ROM, right is my own hacked ROM.

Even though the ROM is god-awfully hard to find ( hint: the name is Toy Story (Unl) [hM219].nes ), I shall not provide a download for that, nor for the hacked ROM. Instead, an IPS patch to apply to said ROM to bring back all the typos (made by me) shall be available for download as an attachment. Tell me what you think! (Also, tell me if I missed anything)

EDIT: Missed a typo. DOWNSTAIRS, on the first screen, turns to DOUNTSTAIRS. Fixed, new download link is below.

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool idea and thanks for the patch. If I can find the ROM I'll give your patch a try. I didn't know a NES bootleg of Toy Story existed until a few days ago. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 14, 2015, 05:40:16 PM
Cool idea and thanks for the patch. If I can find the ROM I'll give your patch a try. I didn't know a NES bootleg of Toy Story existed until a few days ago. :)
I didn't know an NES bootleg of anything besides Sonic existed until just about yesterday :P It's amazing the things you can find through bored YouTube and Google searching.

Maybe next I'd do Aladdin...only one thing...I have no freaking idea how the tiles are organized here. They don't seem to make much sense, at least for the sprites for Aladdin.

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah there are many bootlegs, even Super Mario World, and almost all of them are absolutely terrible and broken, while some are somewhat playable but much lower quality than popular NES games.

Also the most misleading ones are those Chinese RPG hacks of various popular hits such as Pokémon, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII. All of them look identical and they're not anything close to the real games.

There is one Pokémon pirate game that is not bad for the SNES, though. It's Pokémon Stadium, but you can only choose between 10 Pokémons and like the N64 game, there's no exploration, just turn-based RPG battles. All Pokémon names are also wrong, unless from a different language.

EDIT: There's even a Zelda: A Link to the Past for NES O.O https://youtube.com/watch?v=0Du4w2QAqI8
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 15, 2015, 02:48:28 AM
YEah there are many bootlegs, even Super Mario World, and almost all of them are absolutely terrible and broken, while some are somewhat playable but much lower quality than popular NES games.

Also the most misleading ones are those Chinese RPG hacks of various popular hits such as Pokémon, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII. All of them look identical and they're not anything close to the real games.

There is one Pokémon pirate game that is not bad for the SNES, though. It's Pokémon Stadium, but you can only choose between 10 Pokémons and like the N64 game, there's no exploration, just turn-based RPG battles. All Pokémon names are also wrong, unless from a different language.

EDIT: There's even a Zelda: A Link to the Past for NES O.O https://youtube.com/watch?v=0Du4w2QAqI8
I've heard of Super Mario World. It plays stupidly, but I guess I'd ignore it if I were a Chinese person without a SNES.

I've also heard of Aladdin, Angry Birds, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic The Hedgehog (a graphics hack of Somari that also appears to be made by Somari Team), Street Fighter (even a version with Mario characters called Kart Fighter), and Toy Story bootlegs for the NES.
Sonic The Hedgehog is VERY hard to play, Street/Kart fighter is bearable for a fighting game on NES, Toy Story is got-dang annoying and not too faithful to the original game or movie (it ends with Woody leaving Buzz at the gas station), and Angry Birds sounds awesome but plays badly (the blocks have no real physics, they just disappear instead of falling).

Aladdin, however, is actually VERY fun for me, and I'd NEVER guess it was a pirated game unless someone told me. I also downloaded an IPS patch that upgraded its music, and a separate IPS patch that improved its controls and stuff, and now I am completely ADDICTED to the game. Now, it is indistinguishable to me from an official game! For convenience sake, I combined the two, and I'm also attaching it to this post. I do not claim this to me mine, all credit goes to the creators of the separate patches linked to. I also have not tested this outside of Aladdin (Unl).nes , so please test it for me, but know there is a slight chance it will not work.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I should try Aladdin actually. As for Somari, why they chose to replace Sonic with Mario instead of making an actual Sonic game first is beyond me. SMW is fun but the quirks can indeed be annoying. Collision detection seemed fine but it's jumping that is the main issue, since you'll always move slowly no matter how fast you were running beforehand. No wonder why you start with 20 lives.

EDIT: Wow there are three different versions of Aladdin NES it seems O.O EDIT It seems like one is an official licensed release but it's actually worse than the pirate games.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 18, 2015, 04:03:46 PM
Oh I should try Aladdin actually. As for Somari, why they chose to replace Sonic with Mario instead of making an actual Sonic game first is beyond me. SMW is fun but the quirks can indeed be annoying. Collision detection seemed fine but it's jumping that is the main issue, since you'll always move slowly no matter how fast you were running beforehand. No wonder why you start with 20 lives.

EDIT: Wow there are three different versions of Aladdin NES it seems O.O EDIT It seems like one is an official licensed release but it's actually worse than the pirate games.
Is that Aladdin (regular version, my ROM name is Aladdin (Unl).nes ), Aladdin hacked to Mapper 04 (my ROM name is Aladdin (Unl) [p1] [hM04].nes ), and both versions of Aladdin 4 (title screen hack that adds a number 4, one with a 1995 copyright and another with a 1996 copyright, done by changing the 5 tile to a 6 tile, my ROM names are Aladdin 4 (1995).nes and Aladdin 4 (1996).nes )? I know there is also a version out there called Popeye 2 - Travels In Persia where the main character is not Aladdin but Popeye.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't know but it is licensed and it came out in Europe in 1993.  It runs at like 15 fps IIRC

TIfanx1999

Actually IIRC the Pirated version of Alladin had really good graphics.

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 20, 2015, 07:12:05 PM
I don't know but it is licensed and it came out in Europe in 1993.  It runs at like 15 fps IIRC
Ah, there is your problem. I'm talking about the unlicensed version that came out on the Famicom and was made by Hummer Team (remember DKC4, SMW, and Somari? those guys) and was a port of the SNES version. Not the Virgin Interactive version, not the pirate port of the Megadrive/Genesis version, not the Magic Carpet 1001 hack.

Dream of Omnimaga

I think the one I mean is the Virgin Interactive version. Gonna check Youtube. The Hummer Team version is pretty good actually, other than the sound (although it's better than in DKC4 and Somari, that's for sure). I don't know the others because I couldn't find any video of them yet.

Dream of Omnimaga

What would be interesting is hacking the colors to bring them even closer to the SNES game. Not sure how hard that would be, though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe there are editors? On ROMHacking website there are several tools available. I don't know if there is one for that game in particular, though, especially since it's a pirate game. But perhaps there could be some generic tool?