Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Post your calculator collection!

Started by Ivoah, June 19, 2015, 11:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Well, wouldn't that be a bit heavier than your regular calc?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Also if they're gold plated a bit more expensive :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

That only depends of the width of the plating. :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

utz

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 22, 2015, 09:03:21 PM
Quote from: Ivoah on June 21, 2015, 05:09:23 PM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on June 21, 2015, 04:16:44 PMAlso C support? Officially or a ez80 c compiler like SDCC/KCC/z88dk?

Zilog (the creators of the z80 and ez80) have an official C compiler targeting the ez80

Thats awesome O.O
* Cumred_Snektron wants CE more now
Shame they didnt make one for z80 though :P

Well, Zilog didn't make one, but you can always use z88dk ;)

Speaking of calculator collection, I don't have a picture of mine... But, I recently got my first 68k model, woohoo! A TI92+ it is. What a huge clunker!
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Snektron

I know about z88dk... but when i tried it it generated about 5 kb of code for a simple test program :P (though most of it might have been the heap)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I heard back in 2004-05 that z88dk code was absolute crap and most people recommended to stay away from it at all cost. Not sure if that was true, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

Quite sure it was crap back then, but it has come a long way. It's just still quite difficult to use, and documentation is not always very helpful. E.g. those 5kb that Cumred mentioned are probably due to the fact that z88dk normally includes a platform-specific kernal, but that behaviour can be switched off. Somehow.

Unicorn

So it adds code/includes that increase the size of the file, but do nothing for the program on calc?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

utz

It depends. In some cases, having a seperate kernal is totally pointless, in other cases it can be very useful.* That is basically the main problem with z88dk - you need to know what you need and how to get it via command line switches etc, and that can sometimes be quite tricky to figure out. In terms of the actual code produced, z88dk is quite efficient - after all, they've had more than a decade to optimize the compiler ;)

*I haven't tried it for calcs actually, only played around a bit with it on ZX81. There, the z88dk kernal is indeed quite practical as it includes a full screen driver which replaces the not-so-versatile ROM driver.

Snektron

So you could use Z88dk better for things like OS developement in C?

Unicorn

Hmm... It sounds like I wouldn't be able to understand how to set it up :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

utz

Sorry for the late reply @Cumred_Snektron - to answer your question: Yes, it should be well suited for that.

@Unicorn yeah it's somewhat annoying to set it up, at least the betas releases (which have all the good stuff :D). The stable one build like a charm last time I tried it on Linux though.

Dream of Omnimaga

So with the z88dk improvements, would people be better off using it instead of SDCC? I know that AHelper on Cemetech was working on GLassOS a few years ago and used SDCC and that seemed to be most people's choice back then too, but of course with Axe around, even fewer people thought about using C on Z80 calcs.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

If you don't mind about an additional 5 kb, probably

Unicorn

On with the calculator collection, I think I'm going to do something with my Casio.... Or maybe not. :P

??? ??? ??? ??? ???