Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

(porting suggestion) Super Smash Bros & Pokémon for the CE

Started by Hayleia, February 10, 2016, 02:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 27, 2016, 05:19:13 AM
Considering Pokémon is a turn-based RPG, speed is not a problem, so Hayleia could probably just use xLIBC, unless the long-awaited Axe clone for the CE by @Cumred_Snektron  ever became a thing. :P But it's generally best not to wait, so ideally an xLIBC version would be better. It would lack smooth-scrolling, but it would still run decently fast, even with tile scrolling.
I was kind of thinking of making P. Topaz more like the Gameboy games I saw in the TIBoy section on TI-Planet; that's why I recommended C, for a speedy and seamless program that had way more animated things, like Xeda's incomplete P. Amber, and a hidden easter egg that turns everything into a :walrii: . I could do the sprites. :P
Besides, if it was in xLIBC, I'd still have to wait... ._.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

It would still be cool to keep a port of Topaz different from the existing Pokémon games, though, because it would make it original. If the game is nearly identical to other Pokémon games in terms of graphics  then we might as well just take a ROM and emulate Pokémon Red, Blue, Gold or Silver. And it could also be a Walrii game instead of Pokémon.

Also a C version might take longer to make than an xLIBC, since many people find it more difficult than TI-BASIC, although not as long as ASM.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

True.
But in C, it could use Mandragore's engine, and still keep the original graphics, but just have more
things to do in the game than the original. After I beat all the masters, I kind of got bored. :P I also don't know how moving grass might look in xLIBC.
And I like smooth scrolling...I'm kind of waiting for @Hayleia to give some input, 'cause it's not my game. :P
:walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Well, if you want to port Topaz to the CE, you can, but on the other hand, it would be more a complete rewrite than a port (even if I gave you the code, it's so bad it wouldn't help you, unlike SSBO's :P). Plus, if you change things, why call it "Topaz" if it's not the same as Topaz ? :P

Dudeman313

Quote from: Hayleia on February 27, 2016, 08:52:51 PM
Well, if you want to port Topaz to the CE, you can, but on the other hand, it would be more a complete rewrite than a port (even if I gave you the code, it's so bad it wouldn't help you, unlike SSBO's :P). Plus, if you change things, why call it "Topaz" if it's not the same as Topaz ? :P
I coudn't do it-I can't code to save my life! :P
But if I could, I'd call it Pokemon Emerald. :walrii:
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

That's already a thing?!? What about Jade? Aquamarine? Bloodstone? Actually, Bloodstone might be pretty cool.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Wait, you're not telling me you don't know Pokémon Emerald... O.O

Dudeman313

I've never played a Pokémon game other than Pokémon Topaz...
But now I feel idiotic...
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Wow, you should check some out. Download an emulator and play a couple! :D

Dudeman313

Waiting for TI-Boy CE ;D. I don't have enough time to sit by my laptop and look like I'm not playing a game while I am.
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Don't you have an android phone of sorts? I don't think the CE can emulate a GBA. The GB[C] might just be doable :)

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Working on a Pokémon clone as your first project ever is definitively not a good idea. You have to start smaller at first to avoid biting more than you can chew.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

That's my problem! I can't think of anything I'd like that is small!  :banghead:
I want the whole pie in a bite!
The answer is "Sure."