Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

X3D - A 3D engine for TI68k & Nspire Calculators

Started by catastropher, June 27, 2015, 02:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiphonicSugar

• Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

catastropher

• Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium
Creator of X3D, a 3D portal rendering game engine for Nspire, 68k, and PC

Ivoah

Quote from: catastropher on January 28, 2016, 03:55:59 AM
Quote from: Ivoah on January 27, 2016, 04:08:09 PM
How is the screenshot in color? Aren't all of the 68k calcs b/w?
Indeed, the name "X3D-68k" has become a bit of a misnomer as the library is now being designed to be cross-platform. I'll post some screenshots from other platforms as I get the engine ported :)
Think you can port it to the Nspire CX?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

catastropher

Quote from: Ivoah on February 01, 2016, 09:20:06 PM
Think you can port it to the Nspire CX?
Certainly! :) I just want the engine to become a bit more stable (there are a lot of bugs) before I begin porting it. Strictly speaking, porting will not at all be difficult. I just need to upgrade the build system, implement a few platform-dependent functions for the nspire, and build it.

Of course, there are a million things that need to be done. My hope is that other people would like to contribute eventually and help it to become a community-driven project. This could mean working directly on the engine, helping to implement Portal or one of the other games, creating maps for the games, porting the engine to other platforms, testing, or any number of other things. As it turns out, this is a pretty big project ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-83+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-Nspire CX, TI-92+, TI-89 Titanium

alexgt

I really hope you can finish it, if so I will use it all the time on my Nspire ;)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

catastropher

Quote from: alexgt on February 02, 2016, 02:35:56 AM
I really hope you can finish it, if so I will use it all the time on my Nspire ;)
Thanks! Well, that time may be closer than you think because I just ported X3D to the Nspire! :D Here's a screenshot (apologies for the low quality):

[spoiler=X3D on the Nspire][/spoiler]

I'll post a version for you guys to try as soon as a I can, but first, there are some major stability issues that need to be fixed...

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah cool! I didn't this until today and am glad it works on the Nspire. How is the speed like?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: catastropher on February 09, 2016, 06:33:07 AM
Quote from: alexgt on February 02, 2016, 02:35:56 AM
Thanks! Well, that time may be closer than you think because I just ported X3D to the Nspire! :D Here's a screenshot (apologies for the low quality):

[spoiler=X3D on the Nspire][/spoiler]

I'll post a version for you guys to try as soon as a I can, but first, there are some major stability issues that need to be fixed...
Looks great!
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

catastropher

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 11, 2016, 08:37:16 PM
Woah cool! I didn't this until today and am glad it works on the Nspire. How is the speed like?
It's really really fast. But don't take my word for it, give it a try (it's in the attachments)!

Quote from: Ivoah on February 11, 2016, 08:45:00 PM
Looks great!
Thanks!

So I've been experimenting with flat shading instead of just lines for the Nspire and here is the result:

[spoiler=Flat Shading][/spoiler]

It's going to be buggy, but let me know what you guys think! :D

Nspire keys:
Looking: arrow keys
Forward/backward: 7/4
Quit: esc

ben_g

Looks very cool. I'd make the light direction fixed instead of based on the camera though.

catastropher

Quote from: ben_g on February 15, 2016, 07:12:39 PM
Looks very cool. I'd make the light direction fixed instead of based on the camera though.
Thanks! Yeah, it will be in the final version, I just wanted to show that the color of the faces wasn't static.

Dream of Omnimaga

OMG, filled polygons? This is epic. I'll try this when I have a chance.

Also I need to make an icon so I can make a subforum for this project.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

catastropher

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 15, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
OMG, filled polygons? This is epic. I'll try this when I have a chance.
Thanks! My teacher is letting me use this as my semester term project, so I'm doing quite a bit of work on it :)

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 15, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Also I need to make an icon so I can make a subforum for this project.
Thanks, that'd be great! :D

So, here are the most recent changes:

• Lighting has been changed to not be based on the camera orientation
  • Portals have been updated to work in filled mode
  • Portals can now be shot and placed in different rooms (but you have to be in that room to shoot it because I've been too lazy to implement proper raycasting that spans room boundaries)
  • Portals can be placed on the ceiling, floor, and slanted surfaces

[spoiler=Color Portals!!!][/spoiler]

I would upload a demo, but there's one calculation that's done in floating point that's tricky to do in fixed point. I'll upload a demo once I figure it out.

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm happy to see more and more schools or teachers allowing students to use calculator projects as their semester term projects and recognizing the value of calculator programming for future carreers. :)

Also the portal seems to work fairly well and I like how they have an outline :D

catastropher

Yeah, I feel really lucky that I have such awesome professors :D Also thanks!

So... it was bound to happen eventually...

[spoiler=What We've All Been Waiting For][/spoiler]