Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Buying a new laptop for 450 dollars

Started by Unicorn, April 21, 2015, 04:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

So, I've been in the market for a new laptop, I've gotten fed up with my old mac. This laptop has to be under 450 dollars and be able to run Minecraft and other semi 3D games. I, of course, want it to be good for coding. Wink (And I don't want it to be a tablet like the Surface)

The specs I want to get:
::Intel core i5 or i7 or the equivalent AMD processor.
::More than 5 GB of RAM
::4 hour= battery life
::Graphics card

I have looked around the interwebs, I am I currently looking at this Lenovo.

What do you think? Please post any thoughts you have!

If I get the 500GB option, I can get a CE too...   :ninja:
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I have some questions:

-In long terms, such as two years, do you plan to play games such as GTA 5 or Crysis 3?
-What graphic cards does this laptop have?
-Do you think you will be able to shell another $450 away in two or three years for another laptop?

I am asking the first two questions, because why the specs I have read on the website seems good for games like Minecraft and semi-3D games, a very old or crappy video card will get you nowhere unless it's a very recent crappy card that is just good enough to run older games. The ideal thing is if you don't have to replace your computer again in 2-3 years.

About my third question, I am asking because laptops tend to have a much higher failure rate and last much shorter than desktop computers. If you do not need the mobility of a laptop and have enough space in your bedroom, then I would recommend getting a desktop computer instead. They are more durable and for $450 you will get better desktop specs than a laptop.

So yeah, those are two things to keep in mind if you decide to buy a new laptop, especially at that price.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Definitely no GTA5, I'll look Crysis up, but probably not.
I think it says on amazon...
I don't think I will have another 450 dollars...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

It has an intel hd 4400. My little brother has one and he can play most older games, though on low settings. He said he can get around 30 to 60 fps with that on minecraft.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 21, 2015, 05:46:41 AM
It has an intel hd 4400. My little brother has one and he can play most older games, though on low settings. He said he can get around 30 to 60 fps with that on minecraft.

Me thinks you are wrong

Quote from: Amazon.com
AMD Quad-Core A8-6410 Processor with integrated AMD Radeon R5 graphics

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

TheMachine02

The R5 graphics processor is almost as fast as HD4400 (1% faster...), so both can run some old game pretty much well.
However, you'll never see Crysis3 or GTAV on these, even low dedicated cards don't run  these, even on low.

On topic, I found this laptop. I5-broadwell, intelHD5500 (20%faster than HD4400), 6GB DDR3 but only 500GB of hardrive.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318466

you have also this, but I didn't had time to compare spec with the precedents:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314813&leaderboard=1

Snektron

I have a 500gb hdd and i'll never get it full

Unicorn

.The Acer looks nice, just the R5 graphics. I have had bad experiences with Acers in the past, so I'm leaning to a Lenovo. 500 GB Is more than enough for me. I like the Lenovo you linked to, I just won't have enoughf for a CE afterward.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CKH4

I recommend anything with above an A6 or dedicated nvidia card. This is the one that I use and it can handle a lot of gaming stuff: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-15-6-laptop-amd-a8-series-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-jet-black/8541017.p?id=1219345074266

Anyways I got this on sale for $289 (open box) so you just have to look for good deals.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

But, but, 4gb RAM. I think I'm gonna get the one I linked to.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Quote from: Unicorn on April 21, 2015, 04:33:43 PM
.The Acer looks nice, just the R5 graphics. I have had bad experiences with Acers in the past, so I'm leaning to a Lenovo. 500 GB Is more than enough for me. I like the Lenovo you linked to, I just won't have enoughf for a CE afterward.
Yeah you're right.
Acer is such a crappy company.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

My tablet is from acer... It looks like a ripoff ipad with like a hundred bloatware apps and a cty android port... I only use it for yt and some games like plaque though

CKH4

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on April 29, 2015, 10:40:21 PMI only use it for yt and some games like plaque though
Plaque inc, the dentistry version of plague inc. I agree on the Acer thing but I do like their monitors.

The 4gb of memory is the only problem on mine although I only notice it when I have 30 chrome tabs open. Good luck on finding a good deal. If you can I'd go to your local best buy or whatever and look for display model deals. They are very worth it in my opinion and you may be able to get a computer with a dedicated card.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

I got told once that 4 GB of RAM is still fine nowadays, but when I got Starcraft II in 2010 I noticed that I was using around 4.6 GB total when it was running. I think 6 or 8 GB might be better (although 8 isn't that necessary in your case I think)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U