Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[ti-basic]Lazer I: bringing attention to an old game.

Started by c4ooo, August 15, 2015, 12:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

Cross posted from omnimaga(original)
Download here
Ages ago, when i got my first calc in algebra, i made a game (and missed many lessons on quadratic equations, (but then again i can just make a program to solve those things for me :P) ). It was a laser simulater/puzzle game written in pure basic. When i got my own calc a few months ago, as i had been inactive for more then half a year, i decided to polish up the old game and start making a new version in axe. The game was previously only available on ticalc.org . Link: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/459/45934.html
The ticalc entry has more screenshots plus a read me, and i will quote the readme here:

A fun game-position  mirrors to bounce a laser(s) and hit the target(s). current version (v 0_45) includes emitters, detectors, mirrors , walls , and portals!!!
HOW TO PLAY:
1) use keypad and [enter] to select play.
2) use keypad and [enter] to select the level.
3) now finaly you can actualy play!!
4) here are the controls:
keypad-move
[enter]-shoot
[clear]-rotate mirror
[2nd]-retry/reset level
[alpha]-level selection
___  ___  ________  ___      ___ _______           ________ ___  ___  ________   ___  ___  ___       
|\  \|\  \|\   __  \|\  \    /  /|\  ___ \         |\  _____\\  \|\  \|\   ___  \|\  \|\  \|\  \     
\ \  \\\  \ \  \|\  \ \  \  /  / | \   __/|        \ \  \__/\ \  \\\  \ \  \\ \  \ \  \ \  \ \  \     
\ \   __  \ \   __  \ \  \/  / / \ \  \_|/__       \ \   __\\ \  \\\  \ \  \\ \  \ \  \ \  \ \  \   
  \ \  \ \  \ \  \ \  \ \    / /   \ \  \_|\ \       \ \  \_| \ \  \\\  \ \  \\ \  \ \__\ \__\ \__\   
   \ \__\ \__\ \__\ \__\ \__/ /     \ \_______\       \ \__\   \ \_______\ \__\\ \__\|__|\|__|\|__|   
    \|__|\|__|\|__|\|__|\|__|/       \|_______|        \|__|    \|_______|\|__| \|__|   ___  ___  ___
                                                                                       |\__\|\__\|\__\
                                                                                       \|__|\|__|\|__|

screenshot: (more screenshots at link)

Once again, this is an old game made by me only now brought to omnimaga(and now CW)!  :thumbsup:
I made a demo vid for this!

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I think I remember seeing that version on ticalc.org a while ago. I think Builderboy made one as well, but I don't remember if it was different. I need to check it out soon. :) By the way, what did prevent the game from running on older OSes? Did you use the clock or MathPrint-only features?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 15, 2015, 12:51:08 AM
Ooh I think I remember seeing that version on ticalc.org a while ago. I think Builderboy made one as well, but I don't remember if it was different. I need to check it out soon. :) By the way, what did prevent the game from running on older OSes? Did you use the clock or MathPrint-only features?

I don't know If builder boy made one or not, but I originally got the idea from a person named Jeremiah Macdonald. Although I have his youtube chanal I have not bean able to track him on omni/ceme/cw ect. Also person who goes under the alias "Wolfgang Rutherford"  on ticalc claims to have bean inspired by my game to make his own version. AFAIK it is the most completed basic version of the idea. *shrugs*.

As for older OSs, I was using the remainder() command, which I learned the hard way is only on newer calcs. A planned patch will fix that.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah right, I never heard of that person. Also now that I remember, Builderboy's game wasn't really a laser game, but it was a bit inspired by that type of game: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/433/43385.html

And I see about the remainder. If I remember, you can do it in pure BASIC without that command. I'm unsure if it's as fast, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 15, 2015, 01:38:31 AM
Aah right, I never heard of that person. Also now that I remember, Builderboy's game wasn't really a laser game, but it was a bit inspired by that type of game: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/433/43385.html

And I see about the remainder. If I remember, you can do it in pure BASIC without that command. I'm unsure if it's as fast, though.
Well you obviously can, after all it's just math :P but it would most likely be slow. The good thing is, I can avoid them altogether :)

Unicorn

Yeah, 83+ support is usually good to have. A lot of the community like the SE of the 83+, including me.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Cool idea :D i think i though about some laser thing toosometime, but never had the motivation to make it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

• Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Bump. Topic has bean cross posted to CW and Cemetech.
I am looking for level designers to design five levels for this game. As I plan to reuse levels from lazer 1 in lazer 2 you will be credited in both games.
Here are the requirements:
     The level must fit onto a 6 by 6 tile board.
     The level should contain a healthy mix of tiles.
     The level should be challenging.
     The level can contain several emitters, but beware, they can couse lag.
Here is a list of tiles:
     Air: just air.
     Mirror: can be spun by the user, reflects lazers. One of the stats a user can set the mirror to is a "null" state, meaning the lazer will pass through the mirror with out reflection.
     Emitter, when the user presses the fire button all emitters will simultaneously fire a lazer. The emitter can fasecup , down, left, or right.
     Detector: when all detectors are hit with a lazer the user wins the level. They can be hit from all sides.
     Box: blocks a lazer. If hit, the user fails the level.
     Portals can teleport the user to any arbitrary tile. Portals do not have to "linked"
Other:
     Hitting the edges of the map is an automatic fail.
     Lazers can only travel in four directions: up, down, left or right. They can not travel diagonally.
    A lazer can still be traveling across the board when you win, just all detectors have to be hit.

Unicorn

I could do that, but you make need to release some sort o a level editor so we can tear out the levels we make....

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

c4ooo

Quote from: Unicorn on August 16, 2015, 04:48:00 AM
I could do that, but you make need to release some sort o a level editor so we can tear out the levels we make....
Just take some graph paper. Make arrows emitters, X-s detectors, ones(lines) mirrors and portals circles. That's how every single level was made. ;) Also because the level data is hard coded it would be hard to make a level edited. How ever one is planed for lazer 2

Snektron

Well, i made a Letter editor for the CSE for hardcoded letterdata too. (With the CSE's format it's just impossible to do from your head <_<)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

c4ooo

Personally I don't feel it's worth the effort. I just want to get done with this as fast as possible and move on to lazer 2 and other projects.

Speaking of getting done, I decided to allocate myself 3 days to rewrite some major portions of the game, making it faster and better. Here is a changeling:
1) some redesigned menus.
2) lasers now travel 9 pixels (one tile) at a time.
3) you can now see the level name when selecting the level.
4) much internal stuff
5) five new levels are planned (come on guys!)
And here is a teaser:

It shows a "wavy laser", a bug caused by me forgetting to change a number in line of code that draws the laser.
Edit; the text on the paper is there to focus the camera.

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol at first I thought it was some sort of obstacle, not laser. It looks cool actually :P. Hopefully you can fix the issue, though.

Unicorn

Indeed, looks good. I'll try to find time making levels, but I have to catch up on posting, among other things.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???