Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What if Google suddenly disappeared entirely?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 26, 2015, 02:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I was curious about something a while ago since we are so dependent on technology: What if, one day, Google immediately ceased all its operations and shut down all its services with no warning, destroyed all its backups and vanished entirely? Would people just get used to Vimeo and Bing while mourning the loss of billions of videos and e-mails over the last decade? Would worldwide economy collapse beyond recovery? Or would modern civilization simply collapse into some sort of dystopia, unable to adapt to such drastic change even if it's not as bad as power going out worldwide permanently?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Google shuts some of their services down once in a while, such as Google Code (that one was kind of drastic, but at least they offered people to rehost their stuff on GitHub), but most of the time it's their ventures they deem failed and don't want to waste any resources on them anymore. If the whole of Google would cease to exist, then that would be a problem indeed. Google is considered a giant, to the point they can do whatever they want with the internet, so if they are to disappear that would leave a big hole in it. Of course, some geeks figured out how to live without Google, I'm sure the Internet would be able to recover well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was talking about if everything ran by Google and the company itself vanished off the face of the earth instantly, or following a massive financial scandal, with no warning and no trace of any backups.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CVSoft

• Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-81, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83, TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89 Titanium

Adriweb

Lots of worldwide issues regarding GMail first, then Web Search, then YouTube, then everything else, I guess (by order of priority)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

c4ooo

A bit different scenario, but still interesting ;)

Legimet

This hypothetical situation shows why the Internet should be more decentralized.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: CVSoft on December 26, 2015, 08:32:40 AM
The answer is obvious.

Bing lacks a video sharing social network, though.

@Legimet actually got it I think. The main problem with such scenario is the fact that everything is so centered around Google and the question is if we're too dependent on Google or not, like people are dependent on electricity and Internet.

alexgt

All elderly people would be sitting infront of their PC typing in www.google.com over and over trying to get it to work :P But that would really suck since I use it for almost everything online <_<
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

novenary

Quote from: c4ooo on December 27, 2015, 03:20:53 AM

A bit different scenario, but still interesting ;)
I've seen this video, it's pretty interesting.
At this point I don't depend too much on google anymore, I've been trying to get out of the matrix. :P

alexgt

But google is so useful :P I mostly just use it as a search engine thought.

Araidia

• Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

alexgt

c4ooo

Well WolframAlpha can (and should) replace google for anything math related. The two should sign an agreement so WA results are piped into google. So for example, if i search "factor(thegame)" into google it will use WA to actualy factor it and not return some useless websites.

novenary

Quote from: alexgt on January 04, 2016, 04:26:43 PM
But google is so useful :P I mostly just use it as a search engine thought.
Yeah that's the point. I stopped using things such as google calendar/contacts/whatever, even the play store isn't welcome on my phone anymore. I still do use search, youtube and translate and I'm strongly considering getting off gmail too.